Black Mesa Source

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

negah
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Black Mesa Source

Post by negah »

So after about 8 years of development BMS was finally released yesterday.
And after playing a bit I must say that I like BMS much more that the original Half Life, and not only for the grafics. The levels were changed a bit, some places are really hard to recognize, crowbar and pistol are found later than in original, some horror elements added. I also havent noticed any bugs yet.
Sadly BMS isnt fully complete yet, you can play through something like 3/4 of the original (whole xen is missing).

So for everyone who was also waiting for this mod, but gave up and forgot about it. And for everyone who wants to play a great remake of the original Half Life.
http://release.blackmesasource.com/
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Black Mesa Source

Post by Marth8880 »

Pretty cool stuff, I've gotta say. :o
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

I spent the entire day playing it, so yeah... I guess I like it a lot. :lol:

Black Mesa is pretty much up to Valve's standards of quality, you could tell someone this game was made by Valve, and they would totally believe it. For me, it surpassed all the hype in every single way.

That part with the helicopter and the cliff is kind of insane, though, not gonna lie. Ten rockets to bring it down? That's... preposterous. That single chopper is tougher than all of the Abrams in the entire game combined!
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Fantastic. I was worried it'd never be released. I'll have to get it ASAP.
negah
Corporal
Corporal
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by negah »

Nihillo wrote:I spent the entire day playing it, so yeah... I guess I like it a lot. :lol:

Black Mesa is pretty much up to Valve's standards of quality, you could tell someone this game was made by Valve, and they would totally believe it. For me, it surpassed all the hype in every single way.

That part with the helicopter and the cliff is kind of insane, though, not gonna lie. Ten rockets to bring it down? That's... preposterous. That single chopper is tougher than all of the Abrams in the entire game combined!
I havent reached that part yet, but in the original I remember I was just running away from that helo due to lack of ammunition. Perhaps they increased its hp on purpose to force you to do the same?
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

negah wrote:I havent reached that part yet, but in the original I remember I was just running away from that helo due to lack of ammunition. Perhaps they increased its hp on purpose to force you to do the same?
I couldn't find the path to escape during the fight, due to all the chaos, so I fought him to the end, but I think you might be able to just run away - if you know where you're going.
BattleSheep
Private

Post by BattleSheep »

Well,I'm just by Unforseen Consequences but I can say it is better than what I'd expected. I like the fact that Kleiner has the same voice that in Half-Life,but Eli's voice feels weird. But that's justa minor thing,I can say that it has been worth the wait (at least for me). :thumbs:

PS: After playing HL2 and it's episodes,I feel bad whenever I've got to kill a vortigaunt.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

BattleSheep wrote:but Eli's voice feels weird.
Yeah, I feel the same way, it's too noticeable that Kevin Sisk (the guy who did the voice acting for the guards) also did the voice for Eli. I guess they couldn't find someone who sounded like him. Kleiner was spot on though, it was pretty amazing.