Steam or GOG?

Anything Steam or Source related! Show your off your SDK work, mods, etc here, found a fun SourceMod? Post about it here as well!

Moderator: Moderators

Ping
Sith
Sith

Steam or GOG?

Post by Ping »

Recently, I've been getting into the adventure game genre, and I was quite pleased to see Steam has a fair amount of them available. However, most of them (such as Myst, King's Quest, etc.) are also available over at Good Old Games, as they are, well, old. My question is, when buying the old games, should it be over Steam or at GOG? Steam is cheaper, but I have noticed complaints about compatibility for the more dated titles. On the other hand, downloading from GOG will pretty much guarantee me compatibility, but at a higher price. I guess it basically comes down to which ones will work over Steam and which ones won't.
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Re: Steam or GOG?

Post by Dohnutt »

Ping wrote:I guess it basically comes down to which ones will work over Steam and which ones won't.
Does that mean you just answered your own topic?
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

I think what Ping meant was something like,
"Although Steam is cheaper, will there be a good fraction of the games that are compatible to justify using the Steam service over the Good Old Games service, which I think has a better chance of compatibility, but is more expensive?"

Unfortunately, I haven't tried any old games that might have had compatibility issues through Steam. Sorry!
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

CressAlbane wrote:I think what Ping meant was something like,
"Although Steam is cheaper, will there be a good fraction of the games that are compatible to justify using the Steam service over the Good Old Games service, which I think has a better chance of compatibility, but is more expensive?"

Unfortunately, I haven't tried any old games that might have had compatibility issues through Steam. Sorry!
Basically, yeah. Curse my poor English. :P