Star Wars: First Assault

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

The Nasal Abyss
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Currently Working on an Indie Game
Games I'm Playing :: Splatoon 2
xbox live or psn: Stm: Tight Verbage

Re: Star Wars: First Assault

Post by The Nasal Abyss »

THEWULFMAN wrote:That may be true. But that doesn't change the fact that my faith in LA has been slowly destroyed, and I don't trust them to create mod tools.

It's also the video game industry nowadays. AAA title games just don't let you mod them anymore, with the exception being Bethesda games and maybe a couple others.
I really don't think you give Lucasarts (even in its current state) enough credit; sure the last half decade has been a little rough for them, but they could bounce back and retake the hardcore crowd by storm any time now. They know that mod tools are what always set their games apart from others, and they haven't forgotten. Lately they just haven't had them because their games have targeted completely different audiences.

A possible shooter like this would be a perfect time for them to get back into their star wars groove :)
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Post by yuke5 »

If this shooter is what we hope it is, maybe Lucasarts will take the hint and make more like it. I'm not seeing this game as a huge title with mod tools. What I'm hoping is that it will revitalize interest in creating a game that will. Maybe.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

The Nasal Abyss wrote:
THEWULFMAN wrote:That may be true. But that doesn't change the fact that my faith in LA has been slowly destroyed, and I don't trust them to create mod tools.

It's also the video game industry nowadays. AAA title games just don't let you mod them anymore, with the exception being Bethesda games and maybe a couple others.
I really don't think you give Lucasarts (even in its current state) enough credit; sure the last half decade has been a little rough for them, but they could bounce back and retake the hardcore crowd by storm any time now. They know that mod tools are what always set their games apart from others, and they haven't forgotten. Lately they just haven't had them because their games have targeted completely different audiences.

A possible shooter like this would be a perfect time for them to get back into their star wars groove :)
This.

Remember, that they recently had a change in leadership, and typically speaking such things are due to poor company standing--financially, socially, or both. I wouldn't give up hope on PC-based mod tools if this ends up being a Battlefront title. On the other hand I wouldn't put all hope on them, either, as mulitplatform games tend to do the worst on PC.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Mod Tools in general are kind of dieing out. It justifies DLC as there are no other new maps and modes coming to the game. Why pay $10 for a bunch of maps from a previous game if someone can just port them for free?

I mean, Valve tends to support these things, but they're Valve. Lucasarts, even around the time that the prequels came out, weren't really that supportive of customers. Maybe they will be this time, who knows. I just wouldn't count on it.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I realize I have the unpopular opinion.

I'm not saying LA couldn't change. Anyone can change. I'm saying I am not counting on it to happen.

I'm not trusting of most big companies to start with. Being greedy and stupid seems their goal most of the time. If I had to name big companies I can trust to do the right things most of the time, it's... Google and Valve. That's about it.
Fusion wrote:Mod Tools in general are kind of dieing out. It justifies DLC as there are no other new maps and modes coming to the game. Why pay $10 for a bunch of maps from a previous game if someone can just port them for free?

I mean, Valve tends to support these things, but they're Valve. Lucasarts, even around the time that the prequels came out, weren't really that supportive of customers. Maybe they will be this time, who knows. I just wouldn't count on it.
Completely agreed.
R2SS
Private Recruit
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 1 and 2

Post by R2SS »

Yes mod tools always add soo much to a game, in terms of unlimited gameplay and bigger interest by fans.

Dont know about anyone else but i specifically bought the battlefronts for pc because of the option to mod
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

R2SS wrote:]Dont know about anyone else but i specifically bought the battlefronts for pc because of the option to mod

I had it for a couple years on the PS2 before I bought the PC version. I bought it so I could play mods and create them.

So you're not alone.
KeivanMereel
Private Recruit

Post by KeivanMereel »

I'm in the same boat. Played BF2 to death on the Xbox, then years later I've bought the PC version to take it to the next level via modding. Not that a purchase that long after the fact boosts the game's profitability to the studio.
Precise_Moon
Space Ranger
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefield 3

Post by Precise_Moon »

The thing been is the launch of xbox 720 2013 winter it will make it a short lived game. Lets hope it is just a taster off things to come as the real bucks to be made is all platforms and not just xbox. Playstation and xbox seem to were the money is made on retail of games. Other companies aim specifically for that audience/market. PC gaming as seemed to been side tracked eg Call of duty Franchise ported a console game with the latest versions of CofD to the PC. Dice and the battlefield franchise on the other hand, at least tried to keep the PC game version of BF3 for the PC gamer as a PC game. They are under no obligation to release mod tools..

^does tha make sense^
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Precise_Moon wrote:The thing been is the launch of xbox 720 2013 winter it will make it a short lived game.
Source?
Precise_Moon
Space Ranger

Post by Precise_Moon »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
Precise_Moon wrote:The thing been is the launch of xbox 720 2013 winter it will make it a short lived game.
Source?

Romoured!!
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Then why was it presented as fact?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Off-topic: Ugh, why would the new Xbox be called the "720"? That just sounds stupid in my opinion. Just because it's the next generation up doesn't mean the number after the title is going to double. In fact, I'm pretty sure the current gen Xbox is called the "360" because, well, 360 degrees could suggest a "complete turnaround" (or whatever) in the gaming industry, and 720 degrees is equal to 360 degrees so that would be pretty redundant. :? Turning around the turnaround? :o

This article suggests the new console's codename is "Phoenix": http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/09/21/will-microsoft-phoenix-rise-from-xbox-ashes-to-topple-ps4-wii-2/
Dave Parrack, Blorge.com wrote:..
So we come to Microsoft. According to Seeking Alpha, the successor to the Xbox 360 is already being worked on under the codename ‘Phoenix’. If this is true then it clearly shows that Microsoft understands how much the Xbox 360 has underperformed. For those not au fait with mythical beasts, the phoenix is a bird that rather than die, sets itself on fire and then re-emerges anew from the ashes.
Precise_Moon
Space Ranger

Post by Precise_Moon »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:Then why was it presented as fact?

Did i say fact???? I think your been to sensitive
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

You sure didn't state it as an opinion or even clarify that is was a rumor. You said that it WILL make it a short-lived game. I asked for a source because I disagree, but if it was confirmed that the next gen consoles are arriving 2013, then I can't really disagree with fact.