Battlefront 3 Canceled Again

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Read about it here.

Short version, while some of the studio was working on First Assault, others were working on (First Assault) Version 2. Version 2 had vehicles and would have been turned into Battlefront 3.

(Other Mods, remove video if it gets taken down)
Nedarb7
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Battlefront 3 Canceled Again

Post by Nedarb7 »

Wait, so there would be two games before Battlefront 3, Star Wars Wingman and Star Wars First Assault? Then they'd make the real Battlefront 3? :?
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Wingman/V2 was going to turn into BF3. First Assault was another game for XBLA that should have been out by now but was halted at the end of last year.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Surprise of surprises. I've long since accepted Battlefront III to be a curse on any developer that takes it on. It's well know FA was going to be 'Step Zero'.
AvalancheMaster
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Projects :: Myrkr Smuggler outpost
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII Civ WC3
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by AvalancheMaster »

And when I tell that Disney would be the ultimate death of Star Wars gaming, nobody believes...
noMatt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: The Map has no name so see alpha
Games I'm Playing :: Crysis Battlefront

Post by noMatt »

Sadness is coming all over me...
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

On a semi-related note, I've come to love Kotaku greatly. Since they seem to be the ones to go to if you want news like this.

But I'm not exactly sad or surprised. I gave up on SWBF3 about 2-3 years ago, I've accepted it's never going to happen and it's up to mod developers to create it.
AvalancheMaster
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Forget BFIII, THIS is what enrages be.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/disney- ... -bob-iger/
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Ugh. Violence in games doesn't make people violent. END OF STORY.
Zapattack1234
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: The Wrecked Graveyard_Amongst the Ruins
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1 and 2
xbox live or psn: xbla:Rehmfire49

Post by Zapattack1234 »

why arent i surprised that its been cancelled yet again......oh well
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

AvalancheMaster wrote:And when I tell that Disney would be the ultimate death of Star Wars gaming, nobody believes...
Because you're not allowed to make broad, sweeping statements about the entire future of a company mere days after they essentially hit the reset button. Patience, padawan. Yes, it's sad to see these things go, but Disney made the choice to throw all the incomplete projects in the trash and start with a clean slate. There are both pros and cons to this approach, but only time will tell what will happen. THAT'S why no one believes you. Because you really don't have a say in what WILL happen, and your speculation has absolutely no backing in Disney's past ventures, because there aren't any past ventures like this to compare to.

Disney's done good work, it's how they're a multi-BILLION dollar company. Let's see what they do and stop chastising them without being able to see the big picture.
tirpider
Lance Corporal

Post by tirpider »

Again?
How many times has it been canceled in the last 6 months... I lost count.

Seriously, it's all anyone mentions about Battlefront 3 anymore. If it's a PR stunt.. it's getting old. If it's just grumbling.. it's getting old.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

wow...........

It's like a curse that has befallen on this title. This is precisely why modders and programmers making mods like first strike for battlefield and StarWars Battlecry are being made, its been so long for battlefront III to come along we have to create our own.
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Post by Cleb »

Everyone ok if I just explode right now? :x Why does Battlefront 3 always get cancelled right after they hint to the masses that it's being made? It's so frustrating!!! :x :x
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Nice, nice. It's great to see that they were working on it, but terrible to see that once again it has been canceled. Maybe one day someone will begin working on it again and actually finish it.

Hopefully Disney will secretly work on SWBF3 and release it with episode 7. (Like they did with episode 3 and SWBF1 and SWBF2)
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Looks like Call of Duty, minus the suckage on every level and detail possible. :P But seriously though, meh. They'll figure it out.

re: Iger, he probably just wants to maintain Disney's 'more-or-less kid-friendly' status. Makes sense and stuff, yo. :p

Off-topic: re: MagicBands, HOLY FREAKIN CRAP THAT IS SO COOL

Also Bob looks like Matthew Broderick. :o
Hidden/Spoiler:
Iger: "What kinds of games do you want to see from Disney?"
Press: "How about a nice game of Chess? ;0"
Iger: "D:"
Zapattack1234
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: The Wrecked Graveyard_Amongst the Ruins
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1 and 2
xbox live or psn: xbla:Rehmfire49

Post by Zapattack1234 »

Marth8880 wrote:Looks like Call of Duty, minus the suckage on every level and detail possible. :P But seriously though, meh. They'll figure it out.
Oh yeah they'll figure it out, in another 8 years probably :roll:
AvalancheMaster
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
AvalancheMaster wrote:And when I tell that Disney would be the ultimate death of Star Wars gaming, nobody believes...
Because you're not allowed to make broad, sweeping statements about the entire future of a company mere days after they essentially hit the reset button. Patience, padawan. Yes, it's sad to see these things go, but Disney made the choice to throw all the incomplete projects in the trash and start with a clean slate. There are both pros and cons to this approach, but only time will tell what will happen. THAT'S why no one believes you. Because you really don't have a say in what WILL happen, and your speculation has absolutely no backing in Disney's past ventures, because there aren't any past ventures like this to compare to.

Disney's done good work, it's how they're a multi-BILLION dollar company. Let's see what they do and stop chastising them without being able to see the big picture.
It would be broad if it wasn't backed up by Disney's lack of competence when it comes to videogames of Star Wars' kind, their low sales figures, and Iger's statement, that they'll be taking a 'closer look' at violence. Seriously, excluding Kingdom Hearts (which is only partially Disney), the whole Disney videogames franchise has sold around 55m. copies. The whole Star Wars franchise has sold almost twice as much - 106 m. copies. Just for comparison - that's right below the Grand Theft Auto franchise, which has 107 m. copies. That's more than the Need for Speed franchise, which holds 86,9 m. sales. Battlefront alone has sold 14 m. copies. Starcraft has sold only 8 m. copies. And yet, they're scraping the Battlefront franchise.

Disney Interactive Studios have sold 88,9 m. games total as a publisher. LucasArt has sold 113 m. units total as a publisher. The best-selling LucasArt game, LEGO: Star Wars Complete Series, has sold 9,5m. copies, and came out in 2007. Best-selling Disney title? Who wants to be a millionaire from 1997, with 3,5 m. copies.

And you're saying that I don't have the right to make 'broad statements'.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

AvalancheMaster wrote:
Twilight_Warrior wrote:

It would be broad if it wasn't backed up by Disney's lack of competence when it comes to videogames of Star Wars' kind, their low sales figures, and Iger's statement, that they'll be taking a 'closer look' at violence. Seriously, excluding Kingdom Hearts (which is only partially Disney), the whole Disney videogames franchise has sold around 55m. copies. The whole Star Wars franchise has sold almost twice as much - 106 m. copies. Just for comparison - that's right below the Grand Theft Auto franchise, which has 107 m. copies. That's more than the Need for Speed franchise, which holds 86,9 m. sales. Battlefront alone has sold 14 m. copies. Starcraft has sold only 8 m. copies. And yet, they're scraping the Battlefront franchise.

Disney Interactive Studios have sold 88,9 m. games total as a publisher. LucasArt has sold 113 m. units total as a publisher. The best-selling LucasArt game, LEGO: Star Wars Complete Series, has sold 9,5m. copies, and came out in 2007. Best-selling Disney title? Who wants to be a millionaire from 1997, with 3,5 m. copies.

Disney owns the Marvel brand too, but the successes and failures with Marvel's video games are mainly down to individual developers rather than Disney itself.
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Dohnutt »

AvalancheMaster wrote:
Twilight_Warrior wrote:

Okay well what's done is done, so don't worry about it because that doesn't accomplish anything. Let's look to the future and hope Disney can put out some great Star Wars games.