LucasArts is Gone

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Re: LucasArts is Gone

Post by giftheck »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
ggctuk wrote:Strongly-worded suggestion to right place
Even if we assume this would work, herein lies the problem. We have no idea what "the right place" is, nor what we would have to do to find "the right place"
That is, of course, the problem. It's a real pity Conquest never had mod support like SWBF, because therein we might have had a way in.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

At best EA would release closed source to a professional company for patching purposes. Communities are too likely to break the EULA, and they have no real repercussions for doing so. Legal threats (and more severely, action) are costly, so they avoid the issue all together.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
ggctuk wrote:Strongly-worded suggestion to right place
Even if we assume this would work, herein lies the problem. We have no idea what "the right place" is, nor what we would have to do to find "the right place"
Basic human problem-solving skills aren't that difficult to exploit. ;)
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

K, good luck using your basic human problem solving skills when there's no square one. Forget actually obtaining the code, lets start with the fundamental issue: finding someone who has it. We, as a community, have no contacts. Aside from maybe Tean, who's source has already led to a dead end. We have, literally, no options. How does one solve the problem with no way of solving the problem?
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Post by Cleb »

The only thing I can think of is writing a letter, but I don't think that would help... :(
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Dohnutt »

Cleb wrote:The only thing I can think of is writing a letter, but I don't think that would help... :(
I think the point is: who would we send it to? It's a big company, and if it's not sent to the right place, it will just be disregarded.
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Post by Cleb »

Dohnutt wrote:
Cleb wrote:The only thing I can think of is writing a letter, but I don't think that would help... :(
I think the point is: who would we send it to? It's a big company, and if it's not sent to the right place, it will just be disregarded.
Larry Probst. :wink:
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

I should also point out that multiple people had regular contact with Raven Software for years, and they were semi-active in the modding community. We have neither of those things.

Honestly the smartest thing to do would be to drop the idea. There are very few things we can't do that would require the source code, aside from the classic "HD revamp" mods -- and we all know how well those turn out. (grand ideas; big 200 man studio-style. 4-5 modders) :roll: There are maybe a dozen hard-coded items we'd want changed, and the rest we can do with existing tools.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:K, good luck using your basic human problem solving skills when there's no square one.
I usually start at square 5. :P

The only thing I really care to see improved is particle effect tree management and efficiency outflow. Or something. You know. Lol. Basically a particle effect management tree that isn't complete garbage. :V
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Marth8880 wrote:The only thing I really care to see improved is particle effect tree management and efficiency outflow. Or something. You know. Lol. Basically a particle effect management tree that isn't stuck in 2005's standards.
Fixed it for you :thumbs:
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Not quite. SWBF2 handles particle effects pretty poorly; it's practically the only game I've ever even heard of that ever has any problems with it, modern or 2005.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Teancum wrote:I should also point out that multiple people had regular contact with Raven Software for years, and they were semi-active in the modding community. We have neither of those things.

Honestly the smartest thing to do would be to drop the idea. There are very few things we can't do that would require the source code, aside from the classic "HD revamp" mods -- and we all know how well those turn out. (grand ideas; big 200 man studio-style. 4-5 modders) :roll: There are maybe a dozen hard-coded items we'd want changed, and the rest we can do with existing tools.
The SWBF1 source code is the one the BF1 modders want most, mainly to enable the 6 units, or to finish off the 1.3 patch. But with BF2... there's not much point. I know what you'll say: why don't the BF1 modders move over to BF2, then? A multitude of reasons, all of which have been said before.

That said, I acknowledge that this is never likely to happen unless EA were either to go bust (as likely as my winning the lottery tonight), or they sell all the Pandemic assets to another company, one which presents us with a role we can pull on.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Even if EA went south, their assets would be bought by another major corporation. It's a dead issue.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Teancum wrote:Even if EA went south, their assets would be bought by another major corporation. It's a dead issue.
Exactly.

With the source code to other games out there, it's possible to code a Battlefront-esque game at any rate.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

ggctuk wrote:...unless EA were either to go bust (as likely as my winning the lottery tonight)...
Actually if EA keeps doing what they've been doing for the past 5 years, they very well might go under. Their stocks have never recovered since 2008.
Hidden/Spoiler:
That very low dip in 2012 is when Mass Effect 3 was released. :funny2:
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

That actually made me really sad...
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

noMatt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: The Map has no name so see alpha
Games I'm Playing :: Crysis Battlefront

Post by noMatt »

yeah i know the index page is still with 1313 but that is because theres no official cancel announcement. It is canceled
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

I can't seem to find an official cancellation announcement either, i'd say they're still shopping around for a developer until then. :bobba: