[WIP] 153rd Legion Mod

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

RevanSithLord
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Designated Days + LFC + GT vs SWBFC
Games I'm Playing :: FO3 + FO New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Master Revan

Re: [WIP] 153rd Legion Mod

Post by RevanSithLord »

Any mod author would likely tell you, "When it's done." :p
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

RevanSithLord wrote:Any mod author would likely tell you, "When it's done." :P
This ^^ pretty much.
I really don't know when I'll release it, I feel like it's over 50% for version 1 for sure, but still a ways off from finishing, and what with real life and getting interested in playing some other games, I haven't had as much modding time as I used to.
What I want to do though is just finish the basic sides and release a version 1, and then *maybe* start work on other stuff, like maps and missions and more unique sides for them...
RevanSithLord
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Designated Days + LFC + GT vs SWBFC
Games I'm Playing :: FO3 + FO New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Master Revan

Post by RevanSithLord »

kinetosimpetus wrote:
RevanSithLord wrote:Any mod author would likely tell you, "When it's done." :P
This ^^ pretty much.
I really don't know when I'll release it, I feel like it's over 50% for version 1 for sure, but still a ways off from finishing, and what with real life and getting interested in playing some other games, I haven't had as much modding time as I used to.
What I want to do though is just finish the basic sides and release a version 1, and then *maybe* start work on other stuff, like maps and missions and more unique sides for them...
That sounds like a good goal, tbh. :)
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert

Post by kinetosimpetus »

Made a new animation for Form III Soresu saber idle.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Original for comparison.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Both will be used.
DarthSolous
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Halo Minecraft
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by DarthSolous »

Those anims look great. :mrgreen:
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Looks great as always Kinetos.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert

Post by kinetosimpetus »

http://www.xfire.com/videos/5f3109

new set of animations and other changes to B2 SBD
more movie-like (and TCW-like for that matter) anims, made it move and shoot slower, and gave it more hp. it might be too much, but right now i like it where it is. It can't evade or pop in and out of cover as well as other units, so i think the high hp balances it. If you've played SW:RC, you'll already be prepared to face the droid I think.

unless i find glaring problems with it, i *think* this will be the final form of the SBD.
Nedarb7
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Nedarb7 »

That was incredible, very nice! :thumbs:

How did you make the ARF use his melee?
AirspeedRedux
Private Second Class
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by AirspeedRedux »

kinetosimpetus wrote:Thanks :)

http://www.xfire.com/videos/5f3109

new set of animations and other changes to B2 SBD.
This. I've literally tried every mod for this game hoping someone would get the SBD right, especially since I loved Republic Commando. I've loved about everything I've seen for this mod so far, but this is what put it over the top for me. Count me in as waiting impatiently :D
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert

Post by kinetosimpetus »

Nedarb7 wrote:That was incredible, very nice! :thumbs:

How did you make the ARF use his melee?

Re: melee, I don't remember specifically. It's based on Force Push, the stock version of which has AI range set to 0 and/or targeting disabled on it, I just enabled it. Range is still questionable... AI like to swat in the air from 20 feet away sometimes...
AirspeedRedux wrote: This. I've literally tried every mod for this game hoping someone would get the SBD right, especially since I loved Republic Commando. I've loved about everything I've seen for this mod so far, but this is what put it over the top for me. Count me in as waiting impatiently :D
Heh, I know a lot of people are waiting. I'll try not to make it forever. :P
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

kinetosimpetus wrote:new set of animations and other changes to B2 SBD
more movie-like (and TCW-like for that matter) anims, made it move and shoot slower, and gave it more hp. it might be too much, but right now i like it where it is. It can't evade or pop in and out of cover as well as other units, so i think the high hp balances it. If you've played SW:RC, you'll already be prepared to face the droid I think.
I would never ask you to change your design, especially since you already seem to like it, but I think you're making a mistake doing this (rant incoming).

This may be a mechanically-sound unit, balancewise. This would be fine if this were an RTS or if the unit were an enemy-only unit. It doesn't look fun to play as, though. I've never seen anyone take a unit, slow it down, and make it interesting. Even the stock Wookiee suffers from this, but at least he has a dash. The whole point of the game is to move around the map to hunt down units or capture CPs. If you move slowly, you make that a tedious process. Tedium isn't fun. The only things that are really slow in the game are the giant walkers, but you have a much larger sphere of influence with those, because on the maps they show up on, you can shoot at a large percentage of the map at any given time. Everything else adheres to the game's need for speed.
Nedarb7
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Nedarb7 »

kinetosimpetus wrote:Re: melee, I don't remember specifically. It's based on Force Push, the stock version of which has AI range set to 0 and/or targeting disabled on it, I just enabled it. Range is still questionable... AI like to swat in the air from 20 feet away sometimes...
Ah, I see. I've made a melee attack out of force push before as well just the AI would never use
it.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert

Post by kinetosimpetus »

Re Mav:

That is a good point, and previous to the last couple times I updated it, I didn't like playing it much, but I think that was because it didn't have enough hp to compensate for its slowness and I always died quickly. This round, I gave it a massive 3000 hp, and the survivability is much better. I'll see if further playtesting with it changes my mind.

Oh, the alternate fire mode, I may increase its damage against vehicles and buildings, forgot that. I'm trying to get the alt fire on all the units in that slot to be more anti-armor in nature, but the primary weapon has been just as effective at that.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

kinetosimpetus wrote:Re Mav:

That is a good point, and previous to the last couple times I updated it, I didn't like playing it much, but I think that was because it didn't have enough hp to compensate for its slowness and I always died quickly. This round, I gave it a massive 3000 hp, and the survivability is much better. I'll see if further playtesting with it changes my mind.
I'm not talking about frustration (dying a lot) - that's another issue entirely. I'm talking about tedium. The unit could be incredibly strong, but if it moves too slowly in this game, it's not (or at least I don't find it) fun. If you're happy with where it is, don't overthink it. Make what you like.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

I can see what Mav is saying, playing with a bulky and slow moving class isn't as fun as say a regular trooper whom can run circles around him and get around the battlefeild more effectivley. Maybe experiment with sprinting or perhaps even a faster walking speed. The model itself looks incredable, exactly how someone at pandemic would have constructed it. Cant wait to see more animations and what not, truly is shaping up to be the super battle droid we wanted for Battlefront.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert

Post by kinetosimpetus »

It still has sprint and jump, probably still slower than other units' sprints. I've got a B2-RP with a jetpack and different weapons. It's more points to unlock and part of the rotating/map selected units instead of the universal set. I should probably test it again because it also inherits the same changes i made to the B2-SBD...
TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:The model itself looks incredible, exactly how someone at pandemic would have constructed it.
That's 'cause it is Pandemic's model. :P I scaled it up and reskinned it and made a couple new animations for it.
Maveritchell wrote:I'm not talking about frustration (dying a lot) - that's another issue entirely. I'm talking about tedium. The unit could be incredibly strong, but if it moves too slowly in this game, it's not (or at least I don't find it) fun. If you're happy with where it is, don't overthink it. Make what you like.
Oops, my train of thought took a detour there.
Anyway, in the few (probably statistically insignificant) test runs I gave it on Mos Eisley, I was never too far out of the action to feel tedious. On other maps I suppose it could.

I suppose I may tweak it again, but I do want it to be this type of unit generally. There are a lot of other units to choose from so a player shouldn't feel like they have to play an SBD if they don't like slow units. Thanks for mentioning it though, I hadn't even thought about it from that perspective before.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

kinetosimpetus wrote:Re: melee, I don't remember specifically. It's based on Force Push, the stock version of which has AI range set to 0 and/or targeting disabled on it, I just enabled it. Range is still questionable... AI like to swat in the air from 20 feet away sometimes...
I use the emitterordnance method for the Geth melee in Unification and they the A.I. actually utilize it rather effectively. :o Here's the relevant parts from the ODF:

Code: Select all

MinRange = 0
OptimalRange = 1
MaxRange = 2

LockOnRange             	= "2.0"
LockTime 			= "0.0"
AutoAimSize			= "2.0"

TargetEnemy			= "1"
TargetNeutral			= "1"
TargetFriendly			= "0"

TargetPerson			= "1"
TargetAnimal			= "1"
TargetDroid				= "1"
TargetVehicle			= "0"
TargetBuilding			= "0"

AITargetPerson			= "1"
AITargetAnimal			= "1"
AITargetDroid			= "1"
AITargetVehicle			= "0"
AITargetBuilding		= "0"
And the ordnance:

Code: Select all

ConeLength			= "2.5"
ConeAngle			= "180"
FirstRadius			= "0.0"
MaxTargets			= "1"  // Max number of targets to hit. Chaining is off so the damage will be split between the number of targets
NoChaining			= "1"   // No chaining - all bolts coming from the attacker
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert

Post by kinetosimpetus »

So for a while I've been thinking, the ARF helmet I made has a pretty plain looking sides and back... So I added some detail in those locations. And then redid the UV's, AO bake, and texture.

Hidden/Spoiler:
DarthSolous
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Halo Minecraft

Post by DarthSolous »

That looks really good. :thumbs:
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert

Post by kinetosimpetus »

I'm about to test the envelope on a model I've had for a while, but just enveloped. So I may have an export request soon, because the model uses cloth and I can't export that.

Teaser
Hidden/Spoiler: