Xbox One discussion - UPDATED 5-22-13

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Xbox One discussion - UPDATED 5-22-13

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

I didnt see this anywhere else but...well here is the reveal and what the Xbox One will offer...

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-t ... -509140825

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require ... -509164109

So I need to cough up 10 more dollars if I want to play a used game? oh and if I want to let a friend borrow it, I guess he needs to cough up money just to play it. Xbox one needs to be logged into to once every 24 hours? <---this isn't specified, so I cant judge this that well seeing as we dont know what happens if you dont log in like 2 days.

http://kotaku.com/sonys-stock-jumped-up ... -509106311

Jee microsoft, I wonder why sony's stock rose... <-----personal opinion, though I like to think at least a small part of this did.

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-is-not-backw ... -509088037

Also not backwards compatable, well if the other news didnt bum you out already, this might. Though I guess it doesnt matter seeing as some people will keep thier 360's after this. <---well I suppose it doesnt matter, you could just use your 360 and keep it. Agian personal opinion.

Also not the best name, what happens if your talking to someone about the orginal xbox and you call that the xbox one, your friend will be like are you talking about the old one or the new one? :runaway:

If you like the new Xbox, I certianly hope that the way that they revealed it isn't true and that you will get a good product. However im personally turned off by some of this news.
Last edited by TWINKEYRUNAWAY on Wed May 22, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Re: New Xbox Does need Online - Xbox One

Post by kinetosimpetus »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:http://kotaku.com/sonys-stock-jumped-up ... -509106311

Jee microsoft, I wonder why sony's stock rose...
[color=#FFFF00][u]Kotaku[/u][/color] wrote:Edit: while this stock jump is mostly being pointed out because the timing is funny (the wording is "following" the reveal, not "because of" the reveal), the actual reason that Sony's stock jumped up is because of possible changes to its entertainment division.
But yeah, dumb name.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

I have High Hopes - Pink Floyd for the Xbox One. Microsoft knows what they're doing, and they'll do the right thing in the end - they know what their customers want (I hope). ;)
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Post by Cleb »

I see no reason whatsoever to get this. The 360 is already better than this horrendous thing they've made. $10 just to play a used game and needing to be logged in every 24 hours? Not backwards compatible?? Thats just absurd. :?
Last edited by Cleb on Tue May 21, 2013 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

kinetosimpetus wrote:
TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:http://kotaku.com/sonys-stock-jumped-up ... -509106311

Jee microsoft, I wonder why sony's stock rose...
[color=#FFFF00][u]Kotaku[/u][/color] wrote:Edit: while this stock jump is mostly being pointed out because the timing is funny (the wording is "following" the reveal, not "because of" the reveal), the actual reason that Sony's stock jumped up is because of possible changes to its entertainment division.
But yeah, dumb name.
haha XD I guess they edited it last time they put this up. :p timing is funny though.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Xbox Done
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

One pos. rip ms console fun
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

This was Microsoft's grand chance to one-up Sony like they did on current gen, and they blew it completely. They say every generation has its dud console, and oddly enough, it's a 'pass-around' thing - Gamecube was 6th Gen's dud, PlayStation 3 was Current Gen's dud, and now it looks like Microsoft's XBox One is to the the next Gen's dud. It looks like a glorified VHS or Tivo One set top box. I don't like the designs of the original XBox - because it's big, clunky and clumsy-looking - or the slim - I'm attached to the Fat 360 as mine still works fine - but both look like diamonds next to this turd of a design. And what's with the name? Surely that'll create confusion with the original XBox? Shame on you, Microsoft. Shame on you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8iQff1mkfo
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Re: Xbox One discussion

Post by Teancum »

There are so many issues here. The always on thing, it's not backwards compatible (are any of the consoles?), it's freakin' ugly, and it absolutely requires Kinect (try this with kids).

Also, this:
Hidden/Spoiler:
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Teancum wrote:There are so many issues here. The always on thing, it's not backwards compatible (are any of the consoles?), it's freakin' ugly, and it absolutely requires Kinect (try this with kids).

Also, this:
Hidden/Spoiler:
The Wii U is backwards compatible with most Wii games.

That picture reminds me of the old record players. Not in a good way either.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-w ... on-6408662

Ok so after yesterday's disaster of a conference(as many gaming sites would describe it lightly) microsoft released more information. So it wont require a constant connection and it can play used games with out a fee. Gee, they could have avoided all that backlash if they had said that in the begging.

Edit: actually it will require something of a fee regarding some used games, so the disk wont lose value? <---microsfoft, either you are or your not. :/

http://kotaku.com/indie-developers-won- ... -509271999

and unlike the ps4, xbox one isnt indie game friendley :/

@Tean
Hidden/Spoiler:
:lol: , that is freaking hiliarious! Maybe microsoft wanted to bring a blast to the past kind of thing. "You see kids, back in the dinosuar age we had these things called.."
RevanSithLord
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Designated Days + LFC + GT vs SWBFC
Games I'm Playing :: FO3 + FO New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Master Revan

Re: Xbox One discussion - UPDATED 5-22-13

Post by RevanSithLord »

If this is a way to get more money, then they failed completely. :P Sorry Microsoft, but I'm gonna keep playing my 360.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/40 ... -xbox-one/

Update 3:Microsoft corporate vice president Phil Harrison has suggested that customers who activate a pre-owned retail disc for the Xbox One will need to pay the same price as the original buyer to access the content.

When asked by Kotaku whether the secondhand owner will be "paying the same price we [the original buyer] paid, or less" Harrison responded "let's assume it's a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price."

:/ Ok so they are suggesting charging for preowned games? Make up your mind microsoft!
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Cleb »

Either no one will buy this terrible thing or people will just take their own xboxes over to friends houses when they want to play their own game.
Hidden/Spoiler:
microsoft might as well make an xbox carrying case :?
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:http://www.computerandvideogames.com/40 ... -xbox-one/

Update 3:Microsoft corporate vice president Phil Harrison has suggested that customers who activate a pre-owned retail disc for the Xbox One will need to pay the same price as the original buyer to access the content.

When asked by Kotaku whether the secondhand owner will be "paying the same price we [the original buyer] paid, or less" Harrison responded "let's assume it's a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price."

:/ Ok so they are suggesting charging for preowned games? Make up your mind microsoft!
It's been explained to me thus: buy a pre-owned game at $45. Then they'll charge you the original price on top of that. Let's say new that game is $60. So you'll end up paying $105 for that pre-owned game.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I kinda like how the Xbox One looks.

That's where it ends for me. Looks like Sony wins this round of console generations.

Xbox One? What kind of name is that anyway? Always online or at least online once per 24 hours? HAHA LOL NO.

Buying full price or at least some sort of charge for used games? Really Microsoft?

It's pretty hilarious actually. It's exceedingly hard to pirate Xbox games, or any console games for that matter, and always on DRM is there to combat pirates. Which like always just hurts the honest consumers.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

As silly as the name is, once it's released, we're all eventually just going to refer to it as "Xbox"... It's only going to come into play when the NEXT next Xbox comes out, and we have to refer to past models by their model name.

I'm going to save my judgements until the thing is released. Software policies can always be changed relatively quickly, and with everyone already in an uproar over the "must connect once every 24 hours, screwing everyone over if they don't have internet" thing, as well as the controversies with the used game fee, I'm certain those policies are already being talked about by those in charge and questioned as to if they really want to go through with them.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

They're not going to do anything about the used games fee. The games get installed to your hard drive and, to my understanding, you don't need a disc anymore once that's done. That would mean that if they didn't have the used game fee, then you and your friends could just pass the same game around. I'm not saying I support it, but that's what the fee is there for.
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Dohnutt »

Teancum wrote:Also, this:
Hidden/Spoiler:
This is what I thought of too... and that's why I thought the design was so fricken cool. Haha.
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Cleb »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:They're not going to do anything about the used games fee. The games get installed to your hard drive and, to my understanding, you don't need a disc anymore once that's done. That would mean that if they didn't have the used game fee, then you and your friends could just pass the same game around. I'm not saying I support it, but that's what the fee is there for.
They need to add something to the discs that allow you to only install to one hard drive at a time, with a built in code that links to your account so you can still play the game at other peoples houses but no fee and when you install a game to the hard drive it checks that code and if its attached to a game installed on another xbox it doesn't let you install but still play. At least thats what I would do.