Best DLC for Mass Effect 2 + 3?

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: Rising Conflict CW v2.0
Games I'm Playing :: Skyrim TF2 FTL
xbox live or psn: Steam is Dreadnot9

Best DLC for Mass Effect 2 + 3?

Post by Dreadnot9 »

The title says it all really, I thought this would be a good place to ask, I've started my first full play-through of the series, and after finishing ME1 (with the sky is falling dlc, not too bad) I realized the plethora of choices available to me for the next two games, and was wondering which ones to get, and which to avoid.
I'll say right now I'm only interested in those that add actual story/gameplay, not simply weapons.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: Best DLC for Mass Effect 2 + 3?

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Mass Effect 2

- Lair of the Shadow Broker. The most important DLC for ME2.
- Overlord. Second most important. Drags on a bit, but the story in the latter parts is really good.
- Kasumi: Stealing Memories. Adds a great new squadmate and her loyalty mission which is unique and fun.
- Arrival. Adds an important part of the story, but not REALLY amazing or anything.

Mass Effect 3

- Citadel. By far the most fun DLC for ME3.
- Leviathan. Similar to Lair of the Shadow Broker in terms of the tones and pacing. Really good.
- Omega. Fun but passable.

There's no "bad" DLC except maybe Firewalker for ME2.
Last edited by THEWULFMAN on Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

ME2: Firewalker (LOL NO, JK), Overlord, Arrival, Lair of the Shadow Broker, Normandy Crash Site

ME3: Retaliation (or rather, all of the free multiplayer DLC), Omega, Leviathan, Citadel
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Lair of the Shadow Broker is THE BEST DLC I've ever played for any game ever. Citadel is the fourth best behind Halo 3 Mythic 1 and BF3 Aftermath. If you have to pick two, it's LotSB and Citadel. You'll probably want Arrival though because it sets the story up for ME3.

But really, get all of it. The worst DLC in those two games is Firewalker, and IIRC it's free. I haven't gotten to play Leviathan or Omega yet, though, but I've never heard one bad thing about them.
Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Dreadnot9 »

Sounds like there's a pretty big consensus on these; LotSB seems like a must-have (can never have too much Liara anyways).
As a follow-up question (just for ME2) if I've got a game started (early, still doing varying loyalty missions) will downloading any of these dlc(s) have an affect? Also, I suppose it's worth asking if Origin ever has any sales on these types of things (or if there is a way to get them from a place that does have sales), as I got the box set of the trilogy.

P.S. Marth and Wulf, I've really got to thank you guys for introducing me to these games with your mod, they're great.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I think there are sales every once in a blue moon for ME3's DLC. Not sure about ME2.

You can download and install any of the DLC at any time, it won't affect your game in an adverse way. In ME2, all of the DLC can be played after the final mission, but don't wait to do loyalty missions (like Kasumi's) till after, because of... reasons. In ME3, the DLC can be played during almost the whole game, except you must do it before the last two Priority missions.

By the way, in ME2, buy all Normandy upgrades except Chakwas' silly one. Hers really is a massive waste of 50,000 Platinum.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

If I'm honest I wouldn't play through any of the games without all the story-changing DLC. They're that good. It makes it just that much more amazing.
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

Teancum wrote:If I'm honest I wouldn't play through any of the games without all the story-changing DLC.
Story-adding. DLC or not the games have the same ending, AFAIK. But yeah, they're a must-have. :)
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Oh, well, Fiodis brings up something important.

The most important (not the most fun) DLC for Mass Effect 3 is the Extended Cut DLC. It's the difference from tolerating an ending and hating it, for most people. It doesn't "change" the ending, it adds to it and makes it far more clear. It's free. Get all the free DLC for ME3.
Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Dreadnot9 »

Well, I'm planning on getting the following:
For ME2:
-LotSB
-Arrival
-Overlord
-Kasumi

For ME3:
-All the free stuff (extended cut, etc.)
-Omega
-From Ashes (this wasn't mentioned, but seems important lore-wise, what with the prothean and what not...)
-Citadel
-Leviathan

My next question would be if there's a "best" time to play each story-wise? I know you should recruit kasumi and do her loyalty mission before the end of the game, but other than that i'm a bit lost.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

For ME2, it doesn't matter. Lair of the Shadow Broker, Overlord, etc they all can be played after the ending. Mass Effect 2 is the only one that doesn't just "end." Actually... I never have played LotSB after the ending. Odd. Pretty sure it's fine.

For Mass Effect 3, you can play all of the DLC as long as you do it right after the Priority: Thessia mission. The Priority mission after Priority: Thessia locks out the option to play Citadel, Omega, and Leviathan.

From Ashes is okay. He's an interesting character, but it's really not essential. Zaeed for Mass Effect 2, also being interesting, is not essential like Kasumi is (in my opinion).
Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Dreadnot9 »

THEWULFMAN wrote:From Ashes is okay. He's an interesting character, but it's really not essential. Zaeed for Mass Effect 2, also being interesting, is not essential like Kasumi is (in my opinion).
Luckily I got Zaeed for free, though I must admit I never really use him when I've got people like Mordin, Garrus and Tali in my squad to choose from. I'll get from ashes, seems like a good opportunity to learn more about the protheans (one of my favorite parts of ME1 was speaking to Vigil to be honest).
Thanks for the advice.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

From Ashes is not essential if you don't want to have an amazing squadmate who is an incredibly interesting character. Not only is he fantastic in battle and a great character, but one major mission has its dialogue changed COMPLETELY if he is there, and it takes one of the most exciting and emotional main missions of the game and just adds another level of complexity.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

That's true. I just tried to recommend only majorly essential stuff (more content) as he seemed like he had a budget.
Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer

Post by Dreadnot9 »

THEWULFMAN wrote:That's true. I just tried to recommend only majorly essential stuff (more content) as he seemed like he had a budget.
I appreciate that, I came out a little expensive (especially since I'm left with 320 excess BioWare points or whatever they're called...and I don't really care for any of the 160 point dlc, though I suppose I can buy it now...) but I feel like it'll really add to the experience, which is what I was going for. Thanks again for all your help.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

THEWULFMAN wrote:From Ashes is okay. He's an interesting character, but it's really not essential. Zaeed for Mass Effect 2, also being interesting, is not essential like Kasumi is (in my opinion).
For me Zaeed was the only one I didn't care for. Kasumi and Javik are essential, IMO. But if you really want to experience the best at least use a save mod to add Zaeed as part of your ME2 experience when you import your save into ME3. He's got a few appearances that (to me) actually fit him better than being a squad mate.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Teancum wrote:
For me Zaeed was the only one I didn't care for. Kasumi and Javik are essential, IMO. But if you really want to experience the best at least use a save mod to add Zaeed as part of your ME2 experience when you import your save into ME3. He's got a few appearances that (to me) actually fit him better than being a squad mate.
I hated Zaeed in ME2 but I loved him in ME3, so I mostly agree with you.