Halo 4

Want to share hints on the best games you've downloaded? New demo we all need to see? Find other xbox players here, share ideas on everything Xbox live related!

Moderator: Moderators

computergeek
General
General
Projects :: Halo Warthog vehicle for SWBF2
Games I'm Playing :: Bioware RPGs - Halo
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Halo 4

Post by computergeek »

So all I've played is the campaign, but
Hidden/Spoiler:
Holy Dr. Pepper, that was good. I absolutely love the vehicle portions, the "trench run" reminded me of the hidden Death Star run mission in Rogue Squadron. I feel like overall the story asked more questions than it answered, but we know that there are going to be 2 more games (plus Spartan Ops), so that's forgivable. Another gripe is the Pelican part wasn't nearly as good as it could be... All you did was fly to the next destination and maybe shoot some Phantoms on the way. Single-player gameplay wasn't too different (besides the fact that the Prometheans have much different tactics than the Covenant). On the whole, it was a good game and I am very much looking forward to the next two games
Labj
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Halo 4
xbox live or psn: SiulS2409

Post by Labj »

So i got rid of my old xbox. I found a limited edition console in a lower price than i expected: $500.

I am going to buy it soon, that means i will be joining you guys shortly. :thumbs:
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

If you guys got your specialization codes in, you can download the Crimson map pack for free right now.

Just another reason I should be glad I spent $85 on this game.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

I got a specialization code and didn't spend 85$. Disappointed in the maps, though.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Harvest is good for objective, really reminds me of Rat's Nest. It should not be in regular slayer, though.

Shatter has a lot of good elements but I feel there are a lot of areas that look like they lead to one part of the map but in actuality lead to another. It has certain elements that remind me of Terminal.

Wreckage looks awful. If you cut, like, most of the map towards the water out it would play a lot better, but as it stands it's just a bunch of reused geometry from the campaign thrown onto what might have been an interesting map. Also, what the heck were they thinking adding a solar flare that only affects red base? It was slightly annoying on Haven's red base and on one of the lift landings on Adrift, but here?

Also my comment was sarcastic. I can't believe that I essentially wasted 400 MS points by getting the map pass while any American or Australian that was lucky enough to have their current email attached to their account six years ago can just get it for free.
Labj
Sith
Sith

Post by Labj »

8) Got my Halo 4 console today. Check the gamertag thread for mine. I am in for some Spartan Ops on Legendary.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

So does anyone still play this? :P

I've mostly been playing Throwdown (which has unfortunately died down, it seems), the DLC playlists, Extraction, and Action Sack. Action Sack is actually somewhat fun in an absolutely messed up way. Binary Slayer is like Shotty Snipers if they just gave up trying to make it competitive and added thruster packs with increased movement speed and jump height, Fiesta is commendation boosting land, and Rockets is fun because of the Railgun secondaries.
Hidden/Spoiler:
If you sign on today there's this neat thing in matchmaking right now. Basically, in any FFA gametype, any gametype where someone holds an objective or is an objective, or Flood, players will show up green for St. Patrick's Day.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Also, get the Majestic DLC. It's actually good. Unlike a certain other DLC pack.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Played it this weekend for the first time since before Majestic was released. The last time I played before that was when the last episode of Spartan Ops came out (finished it in a day). I REALLY dig two of the three Majestic maps, but am less of a fan of Monolith, which is solid, but isn't my type of map.

I got burned out until yesterday. It just doesn't have the general appeal that Reach had for me, but Majestic is great. It's the first time I actually started using my thruster pack loadout. I'm disappointed that one of the maps wasn't Forg-y (though one has a lot of pieces, there isn't any place to put em'). I'm hoping they remedy that with the last pack.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

There have been numerous hints that there is going to be a forge DLC map, set in an area similar to the Apex Spartan Ops map. Hopefully it has some flat areas. :P

Monolith is definitely the weakest of the three, but I love its design. Kind of like if someone took a Sandbox Crypt map and made it an actual map.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Hey Tean, I know having me 5-0 you on Onyx CTF might have lowered your opinion on the map, but it really is a good map. I just play this game too much.

So, I know you were part of the wall of armor lock in the Reach beta, but the hardlight shield isn't nearly as good as armor lock (thankfully).
Hidden/Spoiler:
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

So that was you in that game last night? I don't follow who's playing with me much anymore. Oh man, my friend and I were SO frustrated. I worked through all five of my loadouts to find something that would work in that match, but no matter what I got smoked. I had a handful of decent games last night, but you destroyed us.
Labj
Sith
Sith

Post by Labj »

Bullseye map pack comming August!

Includes:
Hidden/Spoiler:
2 new maps. One of them is a remake of the Pit:

New stances, weapon and armor skins:

New armors:

I am collecting every single piece of armor, so I am very excited.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA0BdYA3wk4

Teancum, looks like you wished too hard for Caboose's helmet didnt you?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

:runaway: :runaway: :runaway: (max 3 smilies)

You have NO IDEA how awesome this is. Halo 4 has made a complete turnaround. And with the ability for the community to script new gametypes (see the forum link below) we can get not only Reach types back, but all-new modes as well. Gun Game from Call of Duty and a new version of Race mode are already out, and I'm in the process of converting Stockpile, which works when forging, but you cannot yet pick up the flags.
CommanderFixer
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: None
Games I'm Playing :: BF4 SWBF2 Skyrim
xbox live or psn: UBERMEISTER32

Post by CommanderFixer »

:eek: Mark V armor and ODST armor? I missed those two armor sets so much. And the remake of The Pit looks fantastic. How much will it cost?
Labj
Sith
Sith

Post by Labj »

800 MSP the whole bundle. If you dont care about certain things, you can buy them separate.

Maps: 480 MSP
Infinity armor pack: 240
Steel skin pack: 240.

Buying the bundle gives you 17 new ingame items. Including some, if not all, the skins coming with the MacFarlane series two toys this october.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Buying the two maps also gives you the Ricochet armor and early access to the Ricochet gametype
Labj
Sith
Sith

Post by Labj »

Here is all the info about the bundle content:

http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines ... 71013.aspx

Looks like they took out the DMR skins, and all the armor skins are brand new.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Love the armor, love the skins, love one of the maps, feel indifferent to another asymmetrical Certain Affinity map, but the one thing I hate about this is the thought process behind those new perks.

Survivor: "Oh, people keep complaining about being way too easy to kill in vehicles. Maybe we should remove plasma pistols and plasma grenades from the loadouts? No, I got it! Let's make the ability to not die in a vehicle, even if you get shot with a rocket launcher in a tank! That's a great idea!"

Resistor: "The children seem to be upset about not being able to get away when they've made a bad decision and are being shot. Maybe we should get rid of the ridiculous inertia Spartans have had since Halo: Reach? Wait, better idea! Let's include a perk that COMPLETELY REMOVES our counter to Sprint being available on everyone! I can't kill anyone right now, it's amazing!"

Also, did they really take 6 freaking months to master the mysterious Legendary Slayer? It's just awful AR Start Slayer from Halo 3, and Halo 3's at least had a magnum. Maybe it's for the best, because at this rate I'm pretty sure they would make it so if you switched to the magnum you couldn't switch or drop it until you ran to a capture plate at your base.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Regardless these are not applied across the board. People have to sacrifice something else to use those armor perks, so I don't see it being that big of an issue. There are plenty of other perks I see as worse.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

I would prefer if they just cut the perks in general. I know you can go in with whatever you want to counter whatever they have, but it was a lot better in the other games when everyone started off the same. When you shot at someone, the only thing you had to know was how to counter their strafing and know how to land a final headshot. Now, you have to guess if they can bring up a giant shield to buy them some time they shouldn't have, if they can run away forever, or if they can hide and get their shields back faster than you.

I should probably just say what I want from Halo 5:

General:
-Remove permanent sprint and give everyone a thruster pack as it is right now in Halo 4. Increase the base speed to 110% to compensate for the lack of sprint.
-Make pressing jump twice become the double jump from Metroid Prime, but call it a jetpack or jumppack. In the settings, allow for the jetpack traits to be changed to the old mode (call it "hover" or "lift" or something) so old minigames do not get broken.
-Make all of the other armor abilities map pickups like the equipment in Halo 3, with the spawn times reflecting how good the ability is (15-45 seconds for hologram, 180 for HLS).
-Have to option to turn off assassination animations. When you're focused on sneaking up on someone, sometimes you can press the button harder than you mean to, which can ruin your plans.
-Remove all Armor Mods and Tactical Packages, in turn changing the mechanics back to the way they use to be (picking up grenades, not having lower ammo than possible, etc.).
-Keep the ability to have loadouts in gametypes, but do not push them in the standard matchmaking gametypes and instead focus on having gametypes where you spawn with a BR and AR, or one of those with a Magnum.

Weapons:
-Cut some of the weapons. Halo 4 is the worst offender in terms of redundant weapons. Use the story elements (finding the Absolute Record) to give all of the human and Covenant weapons some Promethean elements.
-Cut the long range spawn rifles as they turn BTB into a campfest. Give the BR a Light Rifle look and keep it that same as Halo 4's Turbo version. Make the Carbine a weapon on the map and make it work like the needle rifle without the supercombine and with only a 2x scope.
-Give the Magnum 12 rounds, allow it to kill in five shots. Fuse the Plasma Pistol and Bolshot so it has the Boltshot's primary fire kill time and headshot ability with the EMP secondary fire. Do not make it a spawn weapon.
-Keep the pre-turbo Halo 4 AR. Return the Plasma/Storm Rifle/Repeater to its original use of slowing down the target while stripping shields fast.
-Make the SAW function like the Machine Gun Turret but a little lighter with no 3rd person to compensate. Keep the Needler as-is in Halo 4. Remember the power weapon status of both when placing on maps.
-Make it much harder to no-scope with the UNSC Sniper, possibly giving it the accuracy of the Binary Rifle unscoped. Turn the Beam Rifle into the old UNSC Sniper to cement its role as the no-scope weapon, but keep the overheating mechanic is has now. Cut the Binary Rifle and never again add a sniper than kills in one shot anywhere on the body.
-Keep the shotgun the way it always has been, but incorporate the design of the Scattershot. The removal of sprint should balance out the sword more, do work on the netcode to make sure we don't have ridiculous Halo 3-style lunges. Gravity Hammer can stay, but for Grifball purposes only. Cut the Scattershot.
-Keep the Rocket Launcher as-is with the re-addition of its Halo 2 lock-on feature, but leave it exclusively for air vehicles. Merge the FRG/C and the Concussion Rifle to have a weapon that kills in 2 direct shots, 3 with *reasonable* splash damage, and has 5 ammo per clip. Cut the Incineration Cannon. Good lord.
-Merge the Spartan Laser and the Railgun. Make it kill light and medium vehicles in two shots, make it kill heavy vehicles in three. Give it 4 rounds minimum, 6 for standard matchmaking, and 10 maximum. Allow us to set them via forge, unlike the laser.
-Merge the Sticky Detonator with the Grenade Launcher from Reach. Have a quick tap launch the remote activated grenade that can stick to surfaces, have a button hold and release to detonate the grenade in mid-air.
-Cut the ability to pick up turrets and leave them stationary on maps. Boost their kill times slightly.
-Keep frags as they are and make them spawn weapons. Keep stickies as they are but do not make them spawn weapons. Change how Pulse Grenades function by causing them to EMP vehicles, cause players to move slowly through them, and trim the "pulses" down to two (one at beginning of effect, one at the end). Pulse strips shields and kills players if they have no shields while the EMP lasts throughout the whole thing for vehicles.
-Bring back the Flamethrower, but do not make it a third person weapon. Make it work extremely fast in close range, make it work slower at medium.
-Add a Covenant weapon that has a charge time and throws out a ball of energy that causes players to be pushed, but does no damage unless it hits directly. Call it the Gravity Cannon or something and give it similar ammo and reload times as heavy weapons.
-Add a Forerunner weapon that is a sniper with a charge time. 2 seconds of charge = 1 shot = 1 second of firing. One shot can strip the shields in 45 milliseconds if it hits the body for the duration, and if it hits the head while the shields are down it takes 15 milliseconds to kill (if not it takes 30 to kill on the body). It has 2 shots per clip, and you can choose if you want to charge for one shot or two. Kind of like a mix between the spartan laser, the binary rifle, and the sentinel beam.

Vehicles
-Leave vehicles as they were in Halo 3 in terms of health and do not have the Reach "bucket" system.
-Keep the boost meter given to the Covenant vehicles in Reach.
-Return the Banshee to how it was in Halo 3 (inability to look straight down, doesn't have an easy-to-use rocket launcher, and can't do obnoxious tricks that defy physics).
-Weaken the Scoprion to the point it dies in the same time as the Wraith to balance its overwhelming strength.
-Turn the Gauss Hog's cannon into the new Spartan Laser/Railgun hybrid mentioned above.
-Weaken the Mantis to the new Scorpion Health, remove its shields, allow it to be hijacked, and change its rocket launcher into a Reach grenade launcher.
-Introduce a new UNSC aerial vehicle. Use ideas from the Falcon and Hornet. Positions should include the Pilot (no weapons, controls flight), Turret (chaingun in the front that does damage somewhere between the Banshee's two weapons, can turn 360 degrees) and passenger (can shoot out the side with their weapon, or carry an objective). For Singleplayer with no co-op, have a special variant spawn where the pilot and turret are merged if the campaign requires a section with it.
-Introduce a new Forerunner vehicle based on the Chopper. A popular idea I've seen is to make it look like a Tron Legacy Lightcycle in terms of color and formation. Make the front do insane splatters and leave the rider exposed, like with the Chopper.
-Introduce a new Covenant transport vehicle like the Spectre, Prowler, and Revenant. Have one passenger seat, and one driver seat. Have it fire slow moving needles that can supercombine on vehicles and give it the boost of the Revenant.

Armor Abilities/Equipment/"Passive Weapons"/Powerups
-In the gametype settings, you can allow players to spawn with these as to not break old gametypes, but competitive matchamking gametypes will not have them enabled.
-Overshield, Camo, and Speed Boost are one time use and will have long respawn times.
-Hologram will function as it does in 4 and will have a low respawn time. It will be visible on Spartans by making them have a projector attached to the side of their helmet.
-Promethean Vision will function as it does in 4 and will have a low respawn time. It will override the Spartan's visor color at all times and change it into a glowing red.
-Bubble Shield will return from Halo 3, but will be much shorter in duration and have a medium respawn time. It will be visible on their left leg and can only be used once.
-Regeneration Beam will take elements from the past two regen items, but will only heal you if you aren't looking at a teammate. It has a medium respawn time and has a battery, allowing for 10 seconds of shield recharge maximum. It will be a device on the left arm of the Spartan that fires a bright green beam, or causes the user to glow bright green if being used on themselves. Users cannot fire anything else while using it.
-Hard Light Shield will work as it does in Halo 4 and will have a high respawn time. It will appear as a Forerunner grey-and-blue strip of metal on the left arm when not currently being activated.
-Auto Sentry will work as it does in Halo 4 but will have more health to compensate for a one-time use and higher respawn time. It will appear on the Spartan's lower back.