New DMI?

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

What kind of a Map should that project be?

1 Fantasy (so free creativity everything possible)
80%
2 Swedish Village
13%
3 I got a better idea - more info in the thread
7%

Total votes: 15
noMatt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: The Map has no name so see alpha
Games I'm Playing :: Crysis Battlefront
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

New DMI?

Post by noMatt »

Hey this forum is a bit silent in this year so i though "maybe it is good to do another DMI"
If enough people here agrees, and say "yes we are going to contribute" (lets say 8-10 minimum)
then i suggest to do it like this:

First we do a poll who'll be the Boss of that Project (Basicly the one whos getting all the assets and put them then together in ZE) and a poll about the map ideas. And then the Project Leader will say what he wants to have and the contributors send those assets to him.

I dont know exactly how the last DMI was organized so i am very sorry if that doesnt sound like the second version of that, but i like the idea to do a mod together in this comunity :)

Heres a question to the staff: Are you okay with a project like that on this bord here or are you more like "no not another DMI". Please tell me if you are ok with that :)

EDIT: if you have a better idea now what kind of a map it should be please check that option in the poll and write some info about your idea in the thread :)
Last edited by noMatt on Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Re: New DMI?

Post by Noobasaurus »

I'm certainly not against another DMI; the first one was great. It's just whether the staff will want another one.

If we were to do another, it might be wise to follow the same 'lot' format as the other one, but of course someone may come up with a better idea.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

The staff probably won't stop you from starting your own project. I mean, we had Tean's and Mav's Concersion Pack, and then Marvel4 made his own, so yeah, there shouldn't be any reason why you would be banana'd or anything for starting your own DMI.
noMatt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by noMatt »

I dont want to say: "I am starting a new DMI" i want to ask the Comunity. If the comunity want me to be the Leader of that project (or if noone else do this) i can to it but i want to do it democraticalally. So my idea is like this:

Now, everyone who wants to be the leader write it down here in the thread, and then a poll should be decide who is the leader.
So lets do :) If someone wants to be leader please write it down here :)
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

noMatt wrote:I dont want to say: "I am starting a new DMI" i want to ask the Comunity. If the comunity want me to be the Leader of that project (or if noone else do this) i can to it but i want to do it democraticalally. So my idea is like this:

Now, everyone who wants to be the leader write it down here in the thread, and then a poll should be decide who is the leader.
So lets do :) If someone wants to be leader please write it down here :)
DMI was a fun project to work on and it was great for the community, I can see why you'd like to repeat it. That being said, what you're proposing is the worst way to start a group project. Projects don't get started if you do this wishy-washy "hey maybe we do this guys or maybe not, I dunno, but, like, it could be fun, anyone want to maybe do this maybe maybe?"

If you want something started, make a commitment yourself and do some work. No one gets invested in an idea that the person proposing the idea himself isn't invested in. You have to be willing to fail if you want to succeed.

Say, "I am making this project, would you guys like to get in on it?" and just start working. I thought Rep's project was a little dumb and pie-in-the-sky at first, but a lot of people got excited about it and bought into the idea, and so as the project gained momentum I changed my opinion. There are more people like that (hesitant to make an initial commitment) than there are people who will jump on top of an unproven project.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Maveritchell wrote:Say, "I am making this project, would you guys like to get in on it?" and just start working.
He is suggesting that the community makes a new DMI, but he wants someone else to take over the project. If he wanted to be the 'boss', he may have announced that in the first post, but instead he is saying that he wants someone else to be the boss.

So basically, we're waiting for someone to step up and devote a lot of their time toward this project.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Noobasaurus wrote:
Maveritchell wrote:Say, "I am making this project, would you guys like to get in on it?" and just start working.
He is suggesting that the community makes a new DMI, but he wants someone else to take over the project. If he wanted to be the 'boss', he may have announced that in the first post, but instead he is saying that he wants someone else to be the boss.
Yeah, well, there's a request thread for that. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that he was just one of many people hesitant to do something that they want to do.
noMatt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by noMatt »

Yeah i can do the Project and i am willing to put work into it I just didnt wanted to sound like a dictator. I tryed to be polite. Anyway ok i'll do it!
Ok but i am anyway happy about any ideas for a map

Ok now seriusly: should it be a star wars project?
And can someone tell me how to make polls? It would come in handy if i get deeper into development and because it is a dmi i need the opinions of the contributors.
So if theres a way to make polls (or are only dmins able to do so?) please tell it me

OK thanks in advance for every contribution and heres my suggestions for a map:

A sweden like village with 5 - 6 houses and a lot of water, rocks trees and so on. The time is evening and the atmosphere should be first really normal (so no enemies) but than Baam and ambush and the battle beginns. (yes i want it to be a mission, you will be a American Soldier, and you group contains 10 more friends. The aim would be to hold the position until reinforcments arrive, and after that the aim would be to catch the boss of the enemies) Tell me if you like it

I would be very thankful for any assets that fits into this, (so wooden houses, rocks, trees, Playermodels(can be just a re-skin of a rebel, i dont want droids on the battlefield) weapons, effects, or even anything else you think it would be useful). if you have a good idea for the story tell it me i'll integrade it.
If you have a better map idea post it here as well

Have a nice day
Last edited by noMatt on Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

noMatt wrote:So if theres a way to make polls
I believe that you can only do it when you first make the topic, if not by editing your first post. Near the bottom of the page is a section for polls, which should be self explanatory.
noMatt wrote:A sweden like village with 5 - 6 houses and a lot of water, rocks trees and so on. The time is evening and the atmosphere should be first really normal (so no enemies) but than Baam and ambush and the battle beginns. (yes i want it to be a mission, you will be a American Soldier, and you group contains 10 more friends. The aim would be to hold the position until reinforcments arrive, and after that the aim would be to catch the boss of the enemies) Tell me if you like it
Sure it sounds interesting, but remember, you've got to get people excited to make things for this project. DMI worked because all people had to do was make a lot and send it in. What you're suggesting is to make a campaign map, but I can't see how it would be a community project. I guess people could work on different aspects of the map, such as scripting, mapping, and doing the sides, but then it would simply be a team collaboration. DMI worked because everyone had their own little "spice" to it. Everyone had their own piece of the map that represented them and what they thought was creative.

Now of course, if your idea includes these thoughts, then please do explain.
noMatt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by noMatt »

I know what you mean but dont you think its good to have some kind of theme in the map? everyone can still work on a part of the project but i though its maybe good to know bevore how it looks in the end.
please make a suggestion how to do it noobsaurus it's very helpful to know the diffrent opinion of all members and "maybe contributors" so go a head please ;)
willinator
Major
Major
Projects :: [Coming of the Sentinels]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Minecraft Halo
xbox live or psn: PC pwns all!

Post by willinator »

Here's what I suggest, have an overall map theme (like Swedish or Oriental village), but let each user submit their own lot and one unit for their side, have two teams, and limit it to 18 members. That way, you still get a theme and combat, but people still create the map and environment. Heck, you could probably even have a separate era that is your original idea.
noMatt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by noMatt »

OK So i do it like this. Please submit assets, if you want to contribute. But theres one more thing to decide. Star wars or non Star wars?
If it is like noobaurus said with the polls (i conclude what he said: You can only create a poll by the time you open a new thread) am i am allowed to create a new thread ?
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Post by Cleb »

Well if we do this star wars or not I hope we do a big city because I'm making some pretty cool models of real life skyscrapers that I may want to submit :wink: (If I ever get textures done :oops: )

Edit:
Hidden/Spoiler:
MUAHAHAHAHA Image

satin for a day!
noMatt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by noMatt »

ok :) in couruscant style??
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

I think you'd get more people (including myself) if you kept it in the original "whatever but sort of Star Wars" style of the original DMI.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Also if you presented some work of your own to build from, such as, perhaps, a map? We need to know the environment we're building off of.
noMatt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by noMatt »

I am sad to cancel it but i have not enought time anymore since i have a new girlfriend that hates my Computer hobby's :D
So if somebody wants to take that "not even started yet" project over then i'll send you the assets :D Well - nothing
Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: Rising Conflict CW v2.0
Games I'm Playing :: Skyrim TF2 FTL
xbox live or psn: Steam is Dreadnot9

Post by Dreadnot9 »

noMatt wrote:since i have a new girlfriend that hates my Computer hobby's :D
Not to be a life-coach or anything, but do you really want to date someone that dislikes something you enjoy doing on principle?
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

That is actually a really good point, Dreadnot.

Do what you feel is right, but just think about this stuff, alright noMatt?
noMatt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by noMatt »

you are right wulf and dreadnot. i will talk with her about that
(basicly its not modding. what she hates its being on the computer)