The next Mass Effect

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Labj
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Halo 4
xbox live or psn: SiulS2409

The next Mass Effect

Post by Labj »

So I know there are a few Mass Effect fans here (like me). I do not see a mention about this yet, so, here you go!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/19/ ... -mechanics

Called ME4 for now on IGN. But really, considering how the trilogy ending, I don't see a sequel coming.

BTW, there are a couple more articles about it.

Maybe we get to see a teaser on this year's awards? I hope.
Dreadnot9
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: Rising Conflict CW v2.0
Games I'm Playing :: Skyrim TF2 FTL
xbox live or psn: Steam is Dreadnot9

Re: The next Mass Effect

Post by Dreadnot9 »

Labj wrote:Called ME4 for now on IGN. But really, considering how the trilogy ending, I don't see a sequel coming.
I don't think that's necessarily true, with the extended cut it's clear that in all three "good" endings (I still think refusal is tied for my favorite ending actually) the mass relays are rebuilt, or being rebuilt. I think if placed 50-100 years after the end of the Reaper war it would allow BioWare to bring in a healthy mix of old and new. While many former squad mates would likely be dead, you could still meet Wrex or Liara again, in fact EDI would be a possibility as well.
I'd personally rather see a sequel than a prequel. It allows for the same freedom of choice that working on established lore simply wouldn't.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I'd rather not speculate much when it's at least 2 years off.

I will say that with the introduction of the amazing Frostbite 3 engine, and considering that we got cover penetration mechanics in ME3, I'm guessing we'll see at least semi-destructible environments. Having cover that isn't permanent could be a really interesting mechanic. Forcing you to think faster/more tactically when the chest high cover isn't going to withstand an infinite barrage of bullets*, and also would be interesting to just destroy the cover an enemy is using.

I'd also like to point out that DICE has worked with BioWare before(albeit only with the sound design of all the weapons in ME3), so it's not outside the realm of possibility that DICE would help them with the destructible environments.

*Yes I know ME weapons use thin shards of metal, shaved off from a large block, propelled to exceedingly fast speeds, rather than bullets, but shut up.
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

Heh, there I was thinking it was a bit early to start talking about ME4, what with it being an unspecified amount of years away.

Anyway, I just hope they keep to the same genre. If "borrowing systems from DA3" means "turning Mass Effect into an RTS", no thanks. But I doubt that's what it means; they have no reason to change up the formula much.
computergeek
General
General
Projects :: Halo Warthog vehicle for SWBF2
Games I'm Playing :: Bioware RPGs - Halo
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by computergeek »

Fiodis wrote: Anyway, I just hope they keep to the same genre. If "borrowing systems from DA3" means "turning Mass Effect into an RTS", no thanks. But I doubt that's what it means; they have no reason to change up the formula much.
Based on what I've read about DA3, I'd suppose they're taking systems like the Inquisition (which sounds like a much more realized version of the Galactic Readiness Rating from ME3) and something like fortress sieges (in a sci-fi setting of course) and a more open approach to gameplay and story in general. Because IMO, ME2 and 3 really were pretty linear shooters, the story just differed depending on what you chose.

I'm really excited for DA3, the more I hear the more I can't wait for it, so if ME4 is taking some systems from it, I'm excited

Anyways, since DA3 is built off of an FPS engine (Frostbite 3) and they've already said that they spent a considerable amount of time making it work with an RPG, I'd be willing to bet that they would spend the time to convert it back to an RPG-FPS engine.
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

THEWULFMAN wrote:I will say that with the introduction of the amazing Frostbite 3 engine, and considering that we got cover penetration mechanics in ME3, I'm guessing we'll see at least semi-destructible environments. Having cover that isn't permanent could be a really interesting mechanic. Forcing you to think faster/more tactically when the chest high cover isn't going to withstand an infinite barrage of bullets*, and also would be interesting to just destroy the cover an enemy is using.
Fragile Crate says hello. :P Also, don't forget bosses like the Thresher Maw in ME2 that destroy the cover with ease.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Truthfully I'd rather have a careful rework of ME1 with ME3 gameplay. Going back to play through ME1 again after beating ME3 again was extremely painful at times.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Teancum wrote:Truthfully I'd rather have a careful rework of ME1 with ME3 gameplay. Going back to play through ME1 again after beating ME3 again was extremely painful at times.
Heh, yeah, definitely. You know, that's actually an excellent idea: the openness of ME1 with the combat and whatnot from ME3? Can't fail. (Oh boy, I can't wait to see how many color filters are gonna be in THIS one! LOL)
Labj
Sith
Sith

Post by Labj »

Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Awesome stuff! I almost have a feeling we'll be seeing the movie before the next game, then, perhaps. :o I swear, if it's about Shepard... :x

Thanks for posting .:)
Labj
Sith
Sith

Post by Labj »

We have some more news:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/15/ ... 444e000010

I saw this coming from miles away. To keep using Shepard for this felt... Wrong. So I was already expecting this.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

I hope they go a different direction, or directions. I wouldn't mind another action RPG, but I also wouldn't mind something with a larger multiplayer presence, either (if done right).
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Thank the old gods and the new that it won't be about Shepard; the movie had better not be about Shepard either, or else I'll make sure that the Lannisters send their regards to BioWare...
Labj
Sith
Sith

Post by Labj »

Ok, it's been almost two months since N7 day, but anyways, did any of you see the pictures?

There wasn't that much to them, but I have a very strong feeling it could be about the First Contact War.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

It was hard to tell what they were about. We can say for sure that no Mass Effect game can ever take place after Mass Effect 3, because you'd have to acknowledge one of the endings/choices made related to the krogan and geth/quarians.

I'd be cool with the First Contact War, but what I really want is a story that runs alongside the timeline of Mass Effect 2, up to before Mass Effect 3 begins. But if we do go to the FCW, then we could see a return of old mechanics, which would be awesome.

I do know that it is now in alpha. So progress is being made.
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

Was it confirmed anywhere that the main character would be human? Would be kind of cool if he/she weren't, though that probably won't happen.
Labj
Sith
Sith

Post by Labj »

For anyone not up to date

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H1FN2_--EM

A few things we will see in the next Mass Effect.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

I know right? I'm so freakin' excited to see a Mass Effect game in Frostbite. :runaway:

So BioWare is doing a survey for what fans think is most important for the upcoming Mass Effect game. https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/69HFZTS
Labj
Sith
Sith

Post by Labj »

News from SDCC! The Mako is coming back!
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Hmm. Interesting. That actually gives us some sort of sense as to *when* exactly the game will be taking place, which, based on that news, will likely be around the time Shepard is still alive. :o