Alderaan: Forest (Beta) - UPDATED/Screenshots

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

Eaol
Major
Major
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Warframe

Alderaan: Forest (Beta) - UPDATED/Screenshots

Post by Eaol »

I wanted an Alderaan map.

So anyway, this is my third map (my second isn't done yet because Coruscant is death to make look good).

Uh...readme says all.
Hidden/Spoiler:
README!

Alderaan: Forest

This is my third map. I know that sounds slightly less bad, but bear with me - it's exactly as bad as it looks in the screenshots.

Anyway, it's sort of a sparse forest/grassy map. The environment was half based off of The Old Republic's Hope trailer and half off of the ending to Revenge of the Sith. Stock sides, default heroes, Clone Wars only. I'm using THEWULFMAN's Battlefront Evolved 1.0 in the screenshots.

--------------------------------------------------
INSTALLATION:

Unzip Tatooine__Mos_Nytram.zip and place the SWG folder into your addon folder. Load up SWBF2 and enjoy!
Known Bugs:

-None so far. Of course, let me know if there's a levitating tree or a bot trying to flee the battlefield and I'll get on it.
-The treebillboards facing away from the map was a mistake at first, but now I kinda prefer its look that way.
CREDITS (if I forget someone I sincerely apologize beforehand):

RENDS for some of his Coruscant assets
Sky216 for his unused Dalonni props - I retextured some
Bertie and dragonum for their Kashyyyk props - I retextured some for the buildings in the background
Pandemic for Endor props, most other objects, the game itself, etc.

SPECIAL THANKS to George Lucas, without whom Star Wars would not exist and, as a result, this game would not exist.
Here are some screenshots.
Hidden/Spoiler:
DOWNLOAD LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tjhgtj45dnwzw ... anbeta.zip

Hope you enjoy it!

It's a beta right now but when it's finished it'll be replacing this download link.

Things to do:
-The sky texture is mapped weirdly to the dome...I think I should choose a different dome model

UPDATE:

-Added health and ammo droids
-Changed the lighting slightly
-Changed the transparency of the grass so that it didn't appear in front of lightsabers and muzzle flashes (graphical issue)
-Made the mountains more rugged so that they look more like mountains and less like snowy hills
Last edited by Eaol on Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Alderaan: Forest (Beta)

Post by Marth8880 »

Wow! This looks spectacular! :thumbs:

I'd better hear environmental sound streams when I try it out. :P
Eaol
Major
Major

Post by Eaol »

grr...that sound munging issue
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Off-topic: Have you tried using the SWBF1 tools to munge your sounds?
Eaol
Major
Major

Post by Eaol »

I haven't done so yet. What I wanted to do preferrably was just override the default sounds, since that's what I had wanted to do in the first place. As far as an ambient stream goes, I'll definitely be trying the soundmunge thing again.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

Cool map Eaol. It is very artistically made. I would recommend using tga2ter to make your terrains, it allows you to do MUCH more because it enables higher resolution terrains. You can just use it to make a blank high res terrain and build on it in zeroeditor if you want. I also noticed that my map crashed when starting a new round, it could just be my problem though.
Last edited by MileHighGuy on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eaol
Major
Major

Post by Eaol »

I haven't crashed on my map yet but I don't know about that. I usually play just once when it's only one era and one map selected.
GAB
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by GAB »

Now that's some nice lighting and beautiful sky there. I'm looking forward to see what the final version of this will looks like.
Eaol
Major
Major

Post by Eaol »

GAB wrote:beautiful sky
*awkwardly shifts around, not wanting to mention it is merely a slightly modified Yavin default sky*
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

This is great! The only thing I would suggest is to add more cover. Also, in SWTOR (and in that small frame we see in Revenge of the Sith), Alderaan is a lot of snow-mixed land (reference: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/imag ... z-MRlmAVgo). But it proves for really good gameplay. Can't wait to see more maps!
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Alderaan: Forest (Beta) - UPDATED/Screenshots

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

You have an eye for creating a very serine enviroment. Cant wait for the final version.
GAB
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by GAB »

Eaol wrote:
GAB wrote:beautiful sky
*awkwardly shifts around, not wanting to mention it is merely a slightly modified Yavin default sky*
I know that, to most people, using the default Yavin sky is not very laudable, but in this case, the slight modifications you made make it blend so well with the overall environment and lighting that I personally wouldn't mind if you just kept it there.
Eaol
Major
Major

Post by Eaol »

Yeah, well, I still want to do something with the sky because for some reason it's kinda stretched in places.
JimmyAngler
High General
High General
Projects :: Battlefront Halation
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1-2-2015
xbox live or psn: none

Post by JimmyAngler »

This is a very good map. I love the "Natural" feel to it. Keep up the good work!
Eaol
Major
Major

Post by Eaol »

I'm working on some others. I might do something with snow on this Alderaan map, though, like someone suggested before.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

Wow, just glancing at the screenshots, the map looks very pretty. The color of the lighting looks just about perfect. I especially like the way you used the background mountains and treeline - they look like totally natural extensions of the world, which I always thought was kind of tough to achieve with dome objects.

One criticism/possible suggestion for the lighting: it looks like you have the directional lighting, top ambient lighting, and bottom ambient lighting all set to about the same color. My suggestion would be to keep the directional lighting that same nice pinkish color, but make the top ambient light more of a neutral white/light grey color, and the bottom ambient light a medium shade of grey. So the directional light = the color from the setting sun, the top ambient light = the general light from the daytime sky, and the bottom ambient light = a nice subtle shadowing effect. That's how I always set up the light in my maps, and I thought it created a more natural atmosphere.

All in all, nice work! I've always been a sucker for nice skies and lighting effects, and you've definitely impressed me in those regards!
Eaol
Major
Major

Post by Eaol »

Yeah, the mountains were an idea I was tossing around in my head. They're totally just terrain, and the distant trees are sort of a custom tree billboard thing. I feel like a lot of maps, including the stock ones, will use skydome images for things that probably would look better if done with actual models. I want to address that issue when I get around to other maps.

I'll take the lighting into account, though I did mess with it quite a bit to get the white terrain on the mountains to match the distant buildings (which are also supposedly white); it's death sometimes.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

Oooh, in that case maybe you should keep the lighting the way it is, because the mountains do look really good. If any changes caused the mountains to lose their coloring, that would look really atrocious to have drab white mountains against a pink sky.