So how about that Expanded Universe?

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

So how about that Expanded Universe?

Post by Fusion »

Sure is looking a little smaller, now.

So, if you haven't heard, most (and I mean MOST) of the old EU content is now being ignored. KotOR, Tartakovsky's Clone Wars, Thrawn, the Vong, children of most of the main cast, Chewie dieing, Darth Krayt, Darth Maul being a skate punk in a Coruscant orphanage, and my about 20% of my wall of books are all now non-canon. I'm not sure if I misheard, but I believe they're being reclassified into one group known as "Legends".

So basically, the 6 movies, Darth Bane, and The Clone Wars (CGI) are the only things now considered to be actual parts of the story. Currently, four books are being written that will also be a part of the new canon. Darth Vader and Palpatine stranded on a hostile planet is the first, the story of what happened between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back from Luke's perspective is the second, a story following the life of Tarkin is the third, and a story set during the dark times following two of the main cast members of the new animated series "Rebels" is the fourth.

Hidden/Spoiler:
RIP in peace KotOR II. Wounded by time constraints, put on life support by Bioware trying to write KotOR II away, and now, finally, killed by making the entire story non-canon.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Re: So how about that Expanded Universe?

Post by MileHighGuy »

I am glad they got rid of the vong. They looked like cave goblins from lotr injected into star wars. Too bad about that other stuff though, movies trump all.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Looks like video games are still in a grey area. But yeah, they're taking all literary EU and moving it to the "Star Wars: Legends" (read: "Star Wars: Non-canon") Universe.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

Here's the official press release for those who haven't seen it yet: http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary- ... -page.html

I think this is the best choice that could have been made, all things considered. It's a bummer to see a lot of the stories I loved and grew up with be cast into the realm of pseudo-canon or non-canon status, but then again, I always did kind of view the EU as kind of a giant "what if" scenario (in terms of the canon - I think we all know Star Wars is all make-believe :P). That attitude allowed me to enjoy it much more, because I could take things or leave them as I liked. The only real disappointment I have here is the fact the The Clone Wars will remain canon. I really did love the series, Ahsoka included, but I never thought it fit well into the canon of the movies. I mean, c'mon George, giving Anakin a padawan?

I'll look forward to Episode VII taking us off in some new direction, and archive my fond memories of the EU in the same category as the stories I made up when I was a kid playing with Star Wars action figures. :)
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

They'll always be canon to me, at least. I don't really see how they could have done it any other way, though.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Honestly, this'll go the same way as any major universe reboot has (see: comic books). The dross will be removed, and the adventures of the major characters will be pretty heavily affected at and after the time period of the new movies. However, as the new universe is "written," the old stuff that authors liked will get added back in.

I understand why the changes are being made, although as a fan I much preferred the all-inclusiveness of the old canon. In my head, I'm sure it'll go the same way - it's still canon until something new (or more important) directly contradicts it.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I made this just now.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Seems kind of unfair to do it to all the stuff. I seem to remember the Darth Plagueis novel was held back for a long time by Lucas because he wanted certain things to be done or kept out of it. But now that doesn't matter.

Of course, this means that TFU and TFU2 are now non-canon also, as although the games are a grey area, LucasFilm had previously confirmed the novels to be the definitive versions.

Darth Maul being a skateboard punk was always non-canon so that's not going to affect anything.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

o_O Even the clone wars cartoon....man......

There was a lot I didnt like about EU, but that and KOTOR and TFU also???

Well some elements are still there like the mandolorian wars being mentioned and represented through art on Mandolore(Cues taken from KOTOR comics/games) and some other stuff like ARC troopers carried over nicely from the CW cartoon. I certianly hope more old EU stuff will carry over, maybe not a lot but some more of the good stuff.

Still though....sacrificing so many good things in order to get rid of the bad things is what some may consider a hefty price to pay to get a more unified future star wars.

Things that are good to come out of this in my opinion:
-No more cloned palpitines yay!
-No more rehased super weapon stories
-No more exticntion of the jedi/return of the sith and vice versa stories
-More mindful stories that connect with one another in some way and supervision to
ensure authors dont go over board.

Things Sacrificed to ensure a more unified star wars:
-Some of the KOTOR lore gone....(One of the best RPG's ever created..)
-The first TFU storie...(im thinking the events in TFU II helped make it look unattractive to be canon now...such a shame)
-Clone Wars cartoon(had incredable fight scenes and though the jedi were portrayed as OP, it still was a visual masterpiece that won awards)

Well thats a few things I will miss and wont miss. Hopefully that team lucas sent to seperate canon stuff prior to this news is still a thing going on....one can hope right?
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:o_O Even the clone wars cartoon....man......

-Clone Wars cartoon(had incredable fight scenes and though the jedi were portrayed as OP, it still was a visual masterpiece that won awards)
Nope, that's still canon.
Press Release wrote:[Lucas] set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:-No more rehashed super weapon stories
Return of the Jedi is still canon.
Eaol
Major
Major
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Warframe

Post by Eaol »

He's talking about the old one, Twilight_Warrior.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:o_O Even the clone wars cartoon....man......

Nope, that's still canon.
Press Release wrote:[Lucas] set the films he created as the canon. This includes the six Star Wars episodes, and the many hours of content he developed and produced in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. These stories are the immovable objects of Star Wars history, the characters and events to which all other tales must align.
He means the old miniseries.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

-I should not post when I'm tired, edited
Last edited by THEWULFMAN on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

I'm fine with this. I always considered the movies the basis for canon, and everything else just fun stories to go around them. Canon has become too much of a stresser for fans. You can look at Battlefront and all the "SW CANON, MOVIE/COMIC/BOOK ACCURATE MOD 5.0" entries over the years.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

Eh, I've always had my own head canon for a while now so this is no biggie to me.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

TFU and Vong are "gone"? Good.

I think worrying over what's canon is a bit too serious anyway, it's supposed to be fun, not work.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Except for the men and women who made it their work... I do feel bad for the authors and content producers whose time and effort went in to creating things for a franchise they love, and the new owners are now saying, "Eh, your stuff isn't really as important..."
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Post by Cleb »

I never really read any of the books or played any games taking place after episode six, only one or two, so I guess I'm not really "affected" too much by this, but I do agree that this was probably the best way they could have handled this. Although, I don't think they should have removed TFU from canon, it fit nicely in between the movies in my opinion. I feel the opposite way when it comes to the Clone Wars shows, in my opinion they were terrible and as far as I'm concerned nothing that happened during that show is true.