Suun Ra: Desert City v1.1 UPDATE (Sky to Ground)

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

JazzMaster
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: Cato Neimoidia- Invasion
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Suun Ra: Desert City v1.1 UPDATE (Sky to Ground)

Post by JazzMaster »

Hello GameToast!

I have finally gotten to the point to where i can release my first map and be somewhat happy with it!

This map is a lot of fun for me personally, despite some of the minor bugs. This map is supposed to showcase how fun you can actually make starfighter combat in swbf2 and the limits of adapting it in a ground map.
New starfighters, skins, cap ship props, weapons and more!
It's a huge map, sorry about the huge file size.
Feedback and criticism is welcome :D

README (please read it):
Hidden/Spoiler:
Suun Ra: Desert City v1.1 update (Sky to Ground)

by JazzMaster

---
DISCLAIMER: Turn View Distance and LOD distance in your video settings all the way up for this map to look the best it can. Trust me!

My first map release. Started out as an experiment that tests the limits of mixing Starfighter combat with Infantry Conquest and XL ai numbers.
Lots of ai, starfighters, skyscrapers, and Capital ships!
Intense fighting Takes place on platforms between skyscrapers.

FACTIONS:

--CW Era--
Republic
CIS/Suun Ra Defense Forces

--GCW Era--
Imperial Remnant
New Republic

Includes:
CW/GCW eras. Conquest Only.
Starfighter and Infantry Combat.
New Skins
New Clone z95 Headhunter, Clone Y-wing, Regular z95 Headhunter, E-Wing and Hyena Droid bomber.
Custom fighter Cockpits
Custom Sides, with many models provided by the community.
XL troop numbers.

---

Installation:

Extract (from the .zip file) folder "THC"
Move THC into your addon folder (Star Wars Battlefront II/Gamedata/addon)
Then play!

---

Credits:
Dragonum/ Bertie For Munificent Class Frigate
Forcemaster for the amazing Venator and BTL-B Y-wing models.
Warb Null, for all the other non-stock capital ship models and E-wing.
Warb Null, again for letting me edit his Z95 into the Clone z95 and regular z95 model.
Psych0fred for the New Republic's troop transport (Republic Command Shuttle)
Rends: Coruscant city assests (skyscrapers, platforms, containers)
RogueKnight and Pahricida: DC-15 rifle
SoM3 and DEVISS-REX: DC-15s Carbine
deviss, icemember, DARTH D.U.C.k. NeoMarz and dragonum for Commander Bly model
Taivyx for the Stouker rifle
tripider, TwinkeyRunaway, Unit 33, Glith, and Nedarb7 for The New Republic support and pilot model/skins.
TwinkeyRunaway for the luke skywalker skin.
Dragonum for the Clone Support pauldron.
Backpack addons by Deviss and Tripider.
Deviss for various clone/stormtrooper skins.
Teancum for the Naboo pilot model used in the Suun Ra Defense side and the New Republic Soldier model. (released in his infantry side)
DARTHD.U.C.K. Nar Shadaa Building assets, remapped clone trooper
kinetosimpetus for Hyena Bomber, Imperial Heavy Repeater, DH-17 Blaster, a295 Blaster Rifle
Tripider and Sereja For the Rebel Captain Model.
Parhicida: Boba's Rifle
CodaRez for The Reublic Sniper Rifle
All Dlt19 and Dlt20 models were made by myself from stock pandemic assets. Inspiration from Maveritchell:)
Deviss and RogueKnight For DC-18 pistol
Broken_Hope for custom lightsaber hilts
RepSharpshooter for SWBF2 1.2 assets
Teancum for Quinlan Vos and luke skywalker skin from his heroes assests.
Pandemic for all the assets and making this mod and all others possible.
Gametoast for the immense amount of swbf2 modding knowledge. thank you guys.
Screenies!!
Hidden/Spoiler:
DOWNLOAD:
ModDB --- Works again.
MediaFire
Last edited by JazzMaster on Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Re: Suun Ra: Desert City v1.0 (Sky to Ground)

Post by thelegend »

That looks epic. I like how you have used different realesed assets to create a map that contains ground and air battles. You got my respect. Reminds me on my sky2ground maps but your map has got more differences but it follows the same principle (I think). I am going to give it a try. Anyway good job on this map.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

looks very good. I'll give this map a try. But can you make something on the fighter textures??
JazzMaster wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
the last 3 look very good. But the first 3 are not that good.
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

Ok. I have played this map and I have to say you did a great job on the:
-Map Design: I like the huge city located in a desert-valley. There are a lot of buildings and the height of this map is amazing. The only problem was if you fly to high the ground was a bit buggy-It was a view distance bug. But the effects are a nice touch. For example the clouds above the city makes it more realistic and the atmosphere of this map is also very well done.
-The different units: You have choosen a lot of different units and sounds. But (for example the sniper rifle) has a sound that doesn't fit. It has the remote drone blaster sound. I think sniper rifles have to be more heavy.
-The vehicles: You have taken a lot of different starfighters that makes the map so much better and more interesting.
It`s nice to explore and it is very great to play. All the different units, assets, vehicles and more makes this map very amazing. Again you got all my respect because there are not so many people making maps like this one. Sky or Space combined with Ground. This is a kind of maps I really want to see in next battlefront and in the current battlefront. Again you did a great job on this map.
CommanderCody
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: swbf2 skyrim

Post by CommanderCody »

Really great first map! Nice setting also, keep it up :wink:
Deviss
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Clone Wars Extended
Games I'm Playing :: BF2

Post by Deviss »

woow, look very impressive :D
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

JazzMaster... I am flabbergasted in how good this map is.
The name of this map: PERFECT.
The units you made or got from others: PERFECT.
The Sky Battle: AWESOME.
The retextures: AMAZING!
You just earned a download from me and maybe when I get better at this map a Gameplay/Review Video of your map!
JazzMaster
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by JazzMaster »

Thank you all for the feedback! I am glad a lot of you like the map!!
Anakin wrote:looks very good. I'll give this map a try. But can you make something on the fighter textures??

the last 3 look very good. But the first 3 are not that good.

The first three as in just the Clone z95 And Y-wing?

I'm personally fine with the clone z95 textures, it took me a while to make them look that decent. The Y-wing texture is just Forcemaster's stock texture he provided in his vehicle scenes pack but with the gold parts turned dark red to better fit the map. I might release the Clone z95 as an asset, and textures would be free for anyone to edit IF i decide to release it.
thelegend wrote: -Map Design: I like the huge city located in a desert-valley. There are a lot of buildings and the height of this map is amazing. The only problem was if you fly to high the ground was a bit buggy-It was a view distance bug. But the effects are a nice touch. For example the clouds above the city makes it more realistic and the atmosphere of this map is also very well done.
Yeah when you fly up really high or far enough from the props a lot of view distance and lowrez bugs happen (ie: disappearimg props, terrain). This just has to do with the limits of zero engine. I kept the really high fly limit though because its fun to dodge the starfighters coming at you when you're ascending or descending in altitude.
thelegend wrote: -The different units: You have choosen a lot of different units and sounds. But (for example the sniper rifle) has a sound that doesn't fit. It has the remote drone blaster sound. I think sniper rifles have to be more heavy.
You're right, now that you point it out the sniper rifle sound does kind of bug me. :oops: But i was having trouble loading some of the stock sounds in a custom sound file. i couldn't get the Mortar launch sound to work either.
Maybe once i spend some time away from this map (i am a bit sick of working on it :lol: ) i can try giving the sounds another go and upload an updated version.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

Wow, this is one of the best maps for bf2 I have played in a while.

Problems:

The game engine lags at ground level, but it plays fine in the air.

There are turrets that say: "this is a bug - report me" as their names. The pilots shake when they sit in them.

EDIT: Also I noticed you were missing some low res .msh files for your units. You can generate them form the high res with tirpider's Schme tool.
Last edited by MileHighGuy on Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

yes i mean the clone z95 and the Y-wing.
If you could make them look more like the cis z95 head hunter It's more damaged and used and not that plaina and clean like the clone z95.

About the sounds. You used for all untis the same sounds right?? Can you maybe use some different sounds??

The units themselfe look very good. But the weapons seam to be simply the same for every unit. Blaster, pistol, grenade, power up.
Also the award weapon will change the weapon geometry.

But the whole map is very very good.

P.s.: If you would like i can give you an one lvl file you can include to an new era lua. You just need to run one function and all units from the Republic commando side mod will be added to your Map. You would be the first, who test this function :D
After i finished the side mod i'll give you the final side lvls. At the moment they are a bit older, so there are some things not working :D and not looking good. I hope that i can finish this mod in about 3 month, so than you can get the final side's lvl file
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

Those graphics.... I'm SPEECHLESS, man! Downloading RIGHT NOW!!
Generalfacu
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront II KOTOR

Post by Generalfacu »

Speechles!! I can't find words to describe what I feel while downloading this awesome map! The graphics, the models, the units everything looks awesome! And you've included my favourite Starfighter! The Z-95 Headhunter Clone! :runaway: :bowdown:
Those Rebels, those Clone Troopers, that Venator Destroyer in the sky.

EDIT: I have played it and this is definitely my favourite map. I give it a 10/10 and if logic could permit me it would be a 1000 out of 10!! :bowdown:
EDIT (yes, again): It looks like a fusion between
Hidden/Spoiler:
Cato Neimoidia and Coruscant. There are no maps of Cato Neimoidia, well at least no sky to ground as we see in The Clone Wars and Episode III.
Hidden/Spoiler:
The custom cockpits are just awesome. You can see the nose of the ship you are flying!
JazzMaster
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by JazzMaster »

MileHighGuy wrote:Wow, this is one of the best maps for bf2 I have played in a while.

Problems:

There are turrets that say: "this is a bug - report me" as their names. The pilots shake when they sit in them.

EDIT: Also I noticed you were missing some low res .msh files for your units. You can generate them form the high res with tirpider's Schme tool.
I've only had this map lag when ive had tons of other programs open in the background when playing, but even then it is surprisingly rare. Does anyone else experience this?
Sorry about the localization error with the turret, totally forgot to fix it :oops: I will definitely check out that lowrez tool. I will try to fix these bugs and upload an up to date version of the map after i figure everything that can be fixed.
Anakin wrote:yes i mean the clone z95 and the Y-wing.
If you could make them look more like the cis z95 head hunter It's more damaged and used and not that plaina and clean like the clone z95.

About the sounds. You used for all untis the same sounds right?? Can you maybe use some different sounds??

The units themselfe look very good. But the weapons seam to be simply the same for every unit. Blaster, pistol, grenade, power up.
Also the award weapon will change the weapon geometry.
I'll see what i can do with those textures but if i don't come up with what i think is a better texture then they will stay.
And about sounds, other than what Thelegend has pointed out about the sniper rifle and the missing mortar launcher sounds, i am pretty happy with the sounds.
I'm already loading a ton of sounds custom and stock via custom sound .lvls, and munging new sounds can be very finicky and screw up those files.
The different weapon meshes for the award weapons was intentional.

And sure ill check that out, Anakin. I can't guarantee you that i will use it, but i suppose a little experimenting with adding new eras wouldnt hurt.

Really appreciate the feedback so far, thanks guys.
KeepAmazinn
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal
Games I'm Playing :: Skyrim
xbox live or psn: Keep Amazinn

Post by KeepAmazinn »

Incredible work mate! Reminds me of the legends sky to ground maps! :thumbs:
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

I made a (incomplete) video review of your map, if you would like to see it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOe1QTBXvtw
Last edited by commanderawesome on Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Generalfacu
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront II KOTOR

Post by Generalfacu »

JazzMaster wrote:
MileHighGuy wrote:Wow, this is one of the best maps for bf2 I have played in a while.

Problems:

I've only had this map lag when ive had tons of other programs open in the background when playing, but even then it is surprisingly rare. Does anyone else experience this?
Sorry about the localization error with the turret, totally forgot to fix it :oops: I will definitely check out that lowrez tool. I will try to fix these bugs and upload an up to date version of the map after i figure everything that can be fixed.
I also have lag when fighting on the ground, but I only had Chrome opened while playing.
JazzMaster
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by JazzMaster »

That is weird, i was just playing the map (with xsi, a couple of images loaded in GIMP, firefox, and the swbfviewer open in background) and the most lag i could notice was a very slight jitteriness of my player model, but it was barely noticeable and not inhibiting gameplay at all.
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

Were you playing with max settings?
JazzMaster
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by JazzMaster »

as in max view distance and lod distance? yes.

EDIT: commanderawesome, very interesting to see my map in that perspective :lol: But thank you for posting it. That crash towards the end was a bit weird, i will investigate!
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

I had no problem on the ground. But i was not in the turrets.

About the sounds i mean the Westar M5 Blaster Rifle.

If you have time and want to play around with adding new eras pm me and i'll send you the script you need to add the RC Mod.