Suun Ra: Desert City v1.1 UPDATE (Sky to Ground)

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

JazzMaster
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: Cato Neimoidia- Invasion
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Suun Ra: Desert City v1.0 (Sky to Ground)

Post by JazzMaster »

I noticed some of the lag you guys were talking about today. It seems the most noticeable when you're playing on the ground and the starfighters zip by you on their flyer splines.
I'm positive that its just the nature of having tons of ai, tons of flyers, and tons of objects in one map. But that was kind of the point of this map; to push zero engine to its limits without making your computer blow up :lol:

And Anakin, sure, pm me those files and when i get some time ill see what i can do with them!
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

I think it lags because of the shadows. If there are in max. mode it lags a little bit. But If you set them a bit lower it never lags (for me).
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

I really enjoyed this map. Im really glad someone was able to find some of my elite crops assets and put them to great use. Upon entering a starfighter, it really did feel like this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhEBHU0_nIY

Especially if your the enemy team attacking the star destroyer. There is a good use of what was previously BF1 assets and it was very impressive to see them used in a pretty careful manner. I did get some lag here and there and it seeemd the view would sometimes try to build the geometry around the city at an un-consistant rate in the star fighters. Overall not a bad map at all and a interesting take on ground to space.
Generalfacu
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront II KOTOR

Post by Generalfacu »

I love when you take off from the hangar and all the starfighters fly at your side in a row.
JazzMaster
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by JazzMaster »

I have re-uploaded the updated version of this map to mediafire. Same link in the original post.
The modDB page is down because the re-upload needs to be authorized again. should be back up soon.
Not much has changed, but here is what has:

-Fixed turret localization.
-added some missing sounds and loaded the original sound for the sniper rifle. Also gave the arc170 and Actis interceptor better laser cannon sounds.
-added some secondary weapons for the heavy and support classes.
-added lowres models for the player models that were missing them.

---

Thanks Twinkey. I love your elite corps assets! You did a great job with them. Especially the female marskman with the Fleet trooper skin. There are alot of awesome assets available on swbfgamers (sereja's Starhopper and millenium falcon with landing animations for example.. will definitely be using those in a new map eventually). They need some love :mrgreen:
hunpeter12
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Underground City The Complex [WIP]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Re: Suun Ra: Desert City v1.1 UPDATE (Sky to Ground)

Post by hunpeter12 »

I can't download this map because Mediafire gives me an error message. I think it's the captcha (that doesn't even appear), because otherwise I can download finely from MediaFire. Could you please fix this somehow, or I should just wait for the other link to work?
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

Do you have an script blocker?? i had the same problem. Use an other browser without script blocking
JazzMaster
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by JazzMaster »

Mediafire download works fine on my end.

ModDB link is back up!!
KeepAmazinn
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal
Games I'm Playing :: Skyrim
xbox live or psn: Keep Amazinn

Post by KeepAmazinn »

This map has so much potential would've been cool to see forces on the ground invading the city while having the forces in the air and the platform!

Looking forward to what else you have in store mate!
Cheers
JazzMaster
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by JazzMaster »

I would've loved to have forces on the ground with some tanks and walkers, but i feel that would've taken away from the fighter combat and the platform combat. Plus, i feel it would push this map over the edge and make it crash.

the next map ill do like this will be more along the lines of Taris: Sky High or the Battle of Teth, where i don't have to worry about terrain view distance bugs and have long mountains or skyscrapers stretching down until it blends with the skydome.
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

Sounds fun! Can't wait!
GAB
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by GAB »

I just finished playing your map and I have to say this is the best large scale map I've ever seen. I loved taking off in the hangar and seeing the AI coming along as GeneralFacu mentioned, loved hearing the sounds of the fighters passing by as I fight on foot on the platform, I liked that the ground combat is quite difficult (at least it was for me), you have done a great job. :thumbs:
Generalfacu
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront II KOTOR

Post by Generalfacu »

GAB wrote:I just finished playing your map and I have to say this is the best large scale map I've ever seen. I loved taking off in the hangar and seeing the AI coming along as GeneralFacu mentioned, loved hearing the sounds of the fighters passing by as I fight on foot on the platform, I liked that the ground combat is quite difficult (at least it was for me), you have done a great job. :thumbs:
Has it happened to you that while fighting on the platforms, some BTL-B Y-Wings come and do a bombing run? It has happened to me haha, I was fighting against some droids and three Y-wings come in a row bombing the platforms. The map is well playable with AI :thumbs:
RattleandHum1988
Private

Post by RattleandHum1988 »

I downloaded this last night and played the hell out of it. Love this map, it's probably my new favourite in a while. Adds a completely different feel for a BF2 level. Everything about it is very "Star Wars".
Only thing I'll say is that when I was playing, I got down to 3 AI left on the enemy side and I absolutely could not find them for the life of me. Shuttles kept spawning that were highlighted red (indicating they were occupied) but destroying them didn't do anything. Checked the hangar and all that, still couldn't find them. Maybe it was just me not looking properly or the game being buggy (as we know bF2 can be), but yeah. Just thought I'd mention that to see if anyone else had that issue.
Either way though, amazing map. 10/10.
GAB
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by GAB »

It happened to be when once when I played as rebels. The last AI were in the hangar of the Imperial/Republic destroyer.
JazzMaster
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by JazzMaster »

Thanks guys :D
The flyers will usually try to target the turrets when enemy ai are using them so if your standing anywhere close to turret while someone is in it theres a good chance of you getting proton torpedoed :lol:
Yeah, if you play as the New Republic or CIS there is a good chance you might have some straggler ai hiding in the venator hangar, or sometimes inside the buildings.
ShadowSshylon
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII

Post by ShadowSshylon »

Nice :p
timelow
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by timelow »

Totally awesome map man. Flying around and seeing other fighters zooming past you with a crazy laser light show everywhere.. It's pretty cool. Seriously bro, good job. I did get some lag if I looked at the main platform/building on the ground level. My FPS would drop from 60 to 10-15. Pretty bad but my solution was to just stay off the ground. I've never had a Battlefront map lag on me before so I dunno what's going on.

Anyway good stuff all together. Really cinematic map imo
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

Hey Jazzmaster, thanks for leaving that comment telling me to turn up my distances and you are right, it looks ten times better than I would have thought! As for the vast majority of people saying they had "lag" problems, I experienced zero lag and my computer is not the "sharpest knife in the drawer." Well anyways thanks again for telling me about increasing the distances and and can not wait for your next big mod/map project!
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

The lag problems were because of the shadows. If you turn them to low or off the lag dissapears. I guess the engine just can't handle them.