Pirates of the Caribbean Mod [First Trailer out now]

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Pirates of the Caribbean Mod [First Trailer out now]

Post by thelegend »

Pirates of the Caribbean

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBHFxcVO79E
Hey all,
it has been a while when I announced a new project. Anyway this is my latest project for Battlefront II. A mappack which contains a few maps from the Pirates of the Caribbean Universe. After creating the Black Pearl+Crew and The Flying Dutchman+Crew I have been begining on the first map. Which will be the final battle of "At World's End" (The maelstrom battle). There is a bunch of units for both sides and the ships have a lot of defail.

The following maps are planned:

Code: Select all

-Maelstrom Battle (Let's say it's 90% complete, but still need to add all sounds and music tracks+some texture fixes)
-Isla Cruces (Dead Man's Chest/ The island where Davy Jone's heart was found)
-Isla De Pelegostos 
-------------------
The following maps are just thoughts. I still don't have any imaginations of how they would look like.
-Singapore
-Tortuga
-Port Royal
Modes
Some maps will contain a duell mode. In singleplayer you have to play as a choosen character and fight against the enemy. All maps will contain a mode called: Battle. It's hero assault just with other sides and so on.

The maelstrom map is almost done. The whole map is animated with ZE Animation.
And now I will show you some images about the first map and the sides.
Hidden/Spoiler:
I really hope you like the map so far. If this map is finished with all modes I will create a trailer which shows how the animation work.
Last edited by thelegend on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
superimperial11
Private First Class
Projects :: Onfar
Games I'm Playing :: Most Star Wars games
xbox live or psn: RomanElite79

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean Mod

Post by superimperial11 »

That is very nice. Are you thinking about adding the undead side (ie. skeletons)?
CommanderCody
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: swbf2 skyrim
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by CommanderCody »

I have to say that I am not a big fan of Pirates of the Caribbean, but this is looking very good and I will play it for sure :D
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

superimperial11 wrote:That is very nice. Are you thinking about adding the undead side (ie. skeletons)?
Actually I was only going to create the sides from Dead Man's Chest and At World's End. But maybe as an additional map after the release. But I don't promise it.
superimperial11
Private First Class
Projects :: Onfar
Games I'm Playing :: Most Star Wars games
xbox live or psn: RomanElite79

Post by superimperial11 »

thelegend wrote:
superimperial11 wrote:That is very nice. Are you thinking about adding the undead side (ie. skeletons)?
Actually I was only going to create the sides from Dead Man's Chest and At World's End. But maybe as an additional map after the release. But I don't promise it.
Okay. I just thought it would be a good idea. :thumbs:
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Great work so far, Legend! I'm really liking the new player models and ship models. I think you nailed the look of the maelstrom battle down, but I feel your current overall environment colors might be a little too bright and saturated. I recall that sequence/scene being a bit more washed out and darker like this.
thelegend wrote:The following maps are just thoughts. I still don't have any imaginations of how they would look like.
-Singapore
Wasn't Singapore featured in the beginning of the third film? It looked kind of like a cross between 17th/18th century China and a pirate ship.

Well, keep up the good work. :thumbs:
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

Thanks AQT,
I have changed some values in lighting and now it looks a little bit more like in the photo. Maybe I will add an animated background of all the British Ships. Anyway got all units finished. Here's a picture about the British Soldier with black uniform.
Hidden/Spoiler:
All in all there are 16 different unit models in the map. I still have to add all the sounds, music tracks etc. And then I am going to make a Teaser Trailer about this map.
Are there still any questions about the maps, suggestions or so on?
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Post by jedimoose32 »

Man I'm excited to see more of this.
-Tortuga
YES PLEASE.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

I think what AQT means is that the water is WAAAAAY too blue. It should be a very dark, very desaturated blue. In addition to that, the brightness of your directional and top and bottom ambient lighting should be cut in like, half.

Something else you should do is add some more things to your map's .fx file to make it actually feel like a real storm. Things like this:

Code: Select all

Effect("ColorControl")
{
	PC()
	{
		Enable(1);
		WorldBrightness(0.35);
		WorldContrast(0.42);
		WorldSaturation(0.48);
	}
}

Effect("FogCloud")
{
	Enable(1);
	Texture("fluffy");
	Range(40.0, 180.0);
	Color(168, 172, 180, 48);
	Velocity(4.0, 0.0);
	Rotation(0.1);
	Height(20.0);
	ParticleSize(90.0);
	ParticleDensity(110.0);
}

Effect("HDR")
{
	Enable(1);
	DownSizeFactor(0.25)    // what fraction of the back buffer to use when bloom (smaller means 
				// better framerate – don’t go below 0.25)
	NumBloomPasses(5)       // the number of blur passes higher numbers means bigger blooms and
        	                // is more costly
	MaxTotalWeight(1.2)     // the amount to over-brighten the glow areas
	GlowThreshold(0.5)      // value at which a pixel is considered to be blooming lower values
				// mean more pixels will be blooming
	GlowFactor(0.5)         // a factor used to dim the overall appearance of the bloom (probably
				// better to use less bloom passes or less total weight)
}

Effect("MotionBlur")
{
	Enable(1);
}

Effect("ScopeBlur")
{
	Enable(1);
}

Effect("Blur")
{
	PC()
	{
		Enable(1);
		Mode(1)
		ConstantBlend(0.3)
		DownSizeFactor(0.25)
	}
}
hunpeter12
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Underground City The Complex [WIP]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by hunpeter12 »

Wow! Some serious work put into this. I'm sad though, that you're only working from the 2nd and 3rd movie, the first was my favorite. :)
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

Thanks Marth, :D
I will look what I can add on this map. I will also make the water more darkish.

Edit: ok. I made the water darker and a little bit more greenish. I added all the effects you pasted here to my World's.fx file. In my opinin the whole enviornment looks better than before. The background horizon looks more spongy, like when you are on a boat and look to the horizon.
Hidden/Spoiler:
I think it looks ok. What do you think?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

That looks a lot better! :thumbs:

The water still looks too blue, though! :runaway: You should try to match its color to that of Kamino's water, I think. :o

Use this image as your sample: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/pir ... 0608145614

The best way to go about doing this would probably be this: In GIMP, take the eyedropper tool and sample out that dark blue-green color, look at its RGB values, and then colorize your diffuse texture so that the part of it that's currently blue matches the RGB values of your eyedropped color. Alternatively, if you have Photoshop, I know Photoshop has an extremely useful Color Matcher tool that makes it so you can input an image and apply its color scheme to an output image. Super useful tool.
ForceMaster
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Tron The Grid
Games I'm Playing :: The best..SWBFII
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by ForceMaster »

This mod looks very cool! I like to much these movies!

Only a suggestion for this model, the leg of the soldier looks... different... so, you can review the envelope to fix it if you like.
thelegend wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Keep up the good work! :thumbs:
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

Thanks ForceMaster,
I will take a look at the enveloped legs of all units. I also know I made a big envelope mistake on the claviers. But I know how I will fix that.
Anyway here are some images how the duel mode will look like on this map:
Hidden/Spoiler:
You will spawn as Captain Jack Sparrow and have to fight against Davy Jones. he is stronger and has more healpoints thank you. I still need to add a third and fourth team; just as background fighters.

I still have some sound problems and must add different sound streams to each characters. Then I must fix some AI plannings, make new animations to characters (just the stock animations but..mixed). Then edit some parts and the minimap..well. Will be a surpise.

After all I am going to work on the jungle map Isla Cruces. I made a plan on a paper how the map may will look like.
Anyway if anyone still has questions or suggestions about the map and characters please let me know them.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

Am I right in understanding the battle is 1v1? Or are there miscellaneous crew fighting as well?

Also I love the idea of fighting on the spar (as shown in your pictures). Will there be any way of keeping players from falling off the spar? Like some invisible collision geometry that is about shin-height on either side so players can't walk off the spar but could jump off...? Maybe I'm crazy.
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

You got it. That's the secret of the duel mode. I made invisible walls and added them on the spear. They can't fall down.
I also found out how to disable barriers via lua commands. So the AI won't stuck on the spear.

Edit:

Isla Cruces Update

Hey all,
this is the second large or just the first large update after a while...anyways. The first map, Maelstrom, is completely finished. I got all the sounds, models and music working there.
The second map will be Isla Cruces, the island (PotC: Dead Man's Chest) where Davy Jone's Heart Chest was found. The island is known for the cementery which includes a water mill (I hope that's the right word, but you'll see what I mean).
There is the beach and the large tropical jungle. There are palms, rocks, and other green things. In the background there are also mountains. After this map is finished with all the things I wanted to add then I am going to make a trailer, which will also include some gameplay scenes (e.g. duels, fights..).

I tried to copy the most important things of this island so well as possible. I hope you like it.
Hidden/Spoiler:
And here's the duel mode on this map:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Do you still have any more suggestions for the enviorement of this map. I am not a tropical expert but maybe some of you may know what might be good for a better looking of this map than know.
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean Mod [Isla Cruces Update]

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

Looking really good so far TheLegend but I do have a question but if you say no to it, it may end up as a suggestion. In the second Pirates Of The Caribbean movie, I do not think it was just Will Turner and Jack Sparrow fighting on that wheel, I think a former commodore named James Norrington was fighting them too. My question is do you have him as a character yet and if not maybe you could make him into one to be more accurate with Pirates Of The Caribbean on Battlefront 2!
Last edited by MikeTheBeast55 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

That looks pretty good, thelegend! :thumbs: Try varying the height of a lot of the palm trees, though. Also, you might wanna consider making the world bottom ambient light a completely black color (so 0,0,0) so your buildings have some shading to them.

Is that mountain model just a flat plane or does it have any depth to it? If it's just a flat plane, I'd recommend giving the model some depth - you know, make it more mountainous-looking so when a player moves around while looking at it, it won't look quite as flat. ;)

I'd also ditch that water texture and use a stock one, by the way. In fact, you should probably just use normal water instead (unless of course that *is* normal water, which it actually kinda appears to be.) In fact...are you just playing with low water settings? :o It looks like you are, and it looks like you're using a custom texture for the lowres water, in which case you should definitely make it so the texture is partially transparent (at least 50%).

You can find excellent water textures here if you insist on using a custom one: http://cgtextures.com/textures.php?t=browse&q=2204 (make sure you use one that's marked 'tiled')
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

Very excited to see more of this. Now I have the 'Jack Sparrow' theme stuck in my head.
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

MikeTheBeast55 wrote:Looking really good so far TheLegend but I do have a question but if you say no to it, it may end up as a suggestion. In the second Pirates Of The Caribbean movie, I do not think it was just Will Turner and Jack Sparrow fighting on that well, I think a former commodore named James Norrington was fighting them too. My question is do you have him as a character yet and if not maybe you could make him into one to be more accurate with Pirates Of The Caribbean on Battlefront 2!
Thanks. I had the thought to add him. *Maybe* I will. But I am still not sure if I should add him as a third enemy who attacks the player and the 2nd enemy.

Marth8880 wrote:That looks pretty good, thelegend! :thumbs: Try varying the height of a lot of the palm trees, though. Also, you might wanna consider making the world bottom ambient light a completely black color (so 0,0,0) so your buildings have some shading to them.

Is that mountain model just a flat plane or does it have any depth to it? If it's just a flat plane, I'd recommend giving the model some depth - you know, make it more mountainous-looking so when a player moves around while looking at it, it won't look quite as flat. ;)

I'd also ditch that water texture and use a stock one, by the way. In fact, you should probably just use normal water instead (unless of course that *is* normal water, which it actually kinda appears to be.) In fact...are you just playing with low water settings? :o It looks like you are, and it looks like you're using a custom texture for the lowres water, in which case you should definitely make it so the texture is partially transparent (at least 50%).

You can find excellent water textures here if you insist on using a custom one: http://cgtextures.com/textures.php?t=browse&q=2204 (make sure you use one that's marked 'tiled')

The mountain is now more "3-Dimensinalised". But there's not a big difference than before. The player won't be able to walk around the mountain. The mountains are also too far away to see if they are flat or "3-Dimensinalised".

Thanks for the water link. :) I took the first one and in my opitnion it now looks better than before.
Hidden/Spoiler:
I still need to add a custom music track which fits well to the whole island scenes. Also one of the stock ambient sound streams such as the one from Yavin might be a good touch for a better jungle feeling. This and because of...
Marth8880 wrote:- Proper sound design (if you want me to love your map, this is absolutely 100% necessary, even if it's just including an ambient sound stream :P )
so...

jedimoose32 wrote:Very excited to see more of this. Now I have the 'Jack Sparrow' theme stuck in my head.
Thanks. Me too.

"The Kraken" Update

At the moment I am not able to make any videos so i can't make a pre-trailer of the 2 finished maps. But I don't want to waste so much free time so I begun to work on a map which actually has never been planned: The Kraken (Battle). It's a completely new mode where you have to fight against giant tentacles.
I am going to use a modified version of the Saarlac Animations. I don't think that`s going to be totally difficult (Because I have no clue about animations). Anyway it's a simple map but I think it will be a lot of fun. Even because the player has only three lives. There will be also a third team (The rest of the crew) who also tries to fight against the Kraken. But I guess they will be taken from the boat into the deep sea. And like in my latest Umbara map the tentacle arms were very funny (in my opinion) especially when the AI got cought by the arms.
This map is also fully animated. For example the water and the sky. When you are standing on the ship then you actually should get the feeling that the Kraken Arms are shaking the ship.

Here are some screens:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Do you have any suggestions, tips or any questions for/about this map?

Edit: 3/23/2015
Trailer

Hey all,
I know it's been a while. I have had massive trouble to upload a video on YouTube on my PC so I decided to upload it from my Cell Phone. I am now happy that I finally could uploaded this trailer which shows both maps, most of the characters and also the duel modes. It includes some gameplay scenes (No HUD) where you can see how the Character Control looks like. It's different than the stock Battlefront Characters (e.g. Jedis and Siths).

Unfortunately I am no loner able to use the ZeroEditor because of Runtime Errors. I have absolutely no clue why this happens to me. I just switched back to my old and better PC (where I still can play Bf2 in HD quality). On this PC ZeroEditor had worked like a charm, then I had to use an other computer I was still happy the modtools worked there too. And now ZE doesn't work anymore. I tried to run this application as an Admin =no success. I also tried to run it as compability mode set on XP95-Still no success.
Anyway I am just happy I got the first both maps finished. I am even glad the rest of the tools work properly. I hope I will find a solution to solute this problem.

Here's the link of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBHFxcVO79E