Old Republic map pack part 4 (The Works Release)

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

ZoomV
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Projects :: Old Republic Map pack
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 SWTOR and GW2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Old Republic map pack part 1 (Treefall and Icebound)

Post by ZoomV »

Ok so I had a big long post written out explaining some things, but then the browser crashed and I'm too lazy to type it again. So I'm going to say I'm going to roll out a patch today or tomorrow that addresses some of the concerns, the rest will wait till later installments to the project since these won't be the last of the TOR maps.

@Marth what ENVFX file? I can't find any examples of ENVFX files, did you mean .FX? If so I don't see any HDR properties.

@CommanderAwesome Mine has a texture and I see that the one in Anakin's Screenie has a texture, try uninstalling and reinstalling. Also Vanguard's in TOR only have one single knife attack used by a single spec so it's not really iconic enough to warrant inclusion.

@anthonybf2 I'm aware of the lack of collision on certain assets, I had to remove the collision due to the objects having very irratic collision that was causing all sorts of invisible wall troubles. I may replace some of them since I have very recently found some unused stock assets that might work but we will see.

The weapon shakes will stay in but I will consider toning them down on weapons with a high rate of fire.

EDIT:
I updated the download.

v1.0a Changelog
-Operative's rifle now has a better texture
-AWARD pistol can no longer be acquired.
-Players are forced into third person while playing the Commando unit
-The black ops trooper's rifle and the Commando's assault cannon now have reduced impact shake.
-Filled a few of the major collisionless areas in some of the cliffs.
-Cleaned up the loadscreens
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

ENVFX refers to a map's environmental (or post-processing) effects, which are defined in its .fx file. Create an .fx file for your map (if you don't already have one), put this inside:

Code: Select all

Effect("HDR")
{
	Enable(1);
	DownSizeFactor(0.25)    // what fraction of the back buffer to use when bloom (smaller means 
				// better framerate – don’t go below 0.25)
	NumBloomPasses(4)       // the number of blur passes higher numbers means bigger blooms and
        	                // is more costly
	MaxTotalWeight(1.2)     // the amount to over-brighten the glow areas
	GlowThreshold(0.5)      // value at which a pixel is considered to be blooming lower values
				// mean more pixels will be blooming
	GlowFactor(0.5)         // a factor used to dim the overall appearance of the bloom (probably
				// better to use less bloom passes or less total weight)
}

Effect("MotionBlur")
{
	Enable(1);
}

Effect("ScopeBlur")
{
	Enable(1);
}

Effect("Blur")
{
	PC()
	{
		Enable(1);
		Mode(1)
		ConstantBlend(0.35)
		DownSizeFactor(0.25)
	}
}
and fiddle around with the HDR parameters based on the dev comments until you achieve the effect you want - it'll help make the overall map look even better. :)
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

commanderawesome wrote:I played treefall last night and I must say it was absolutely STUNNING! :thumbs: It stayed very true to SWTOR while still giving that "battlefront" feel. It really felt as if Bioware decided to make SWTOR a shooter. The graphics are just as good as the game, the models are near flawless.
I completely agree! :D
anthonybf2 wrote:The melting snow is very good looking. But it's missing a melting feeling... the map has no sun.
Adding a sun will add the feeling that the snow has actually been melting.
Speaking of a sun, I think you forgot to enable shadows with your directional lighting (unless it was intentional, of course).

I only have a couple of nitpicks:
  • The loading screen looks...interesting... but wouldn't you rather just use an unedited screenshot to show off your map?
  • The stock Felucia ambient sound seems very out of place, in my opinion. If you have to use a stock sound, I think Yavin's forest ambiance would be a better choice.
A suggestion I have is to use KotOR/TOR music for the maps.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of this map pack! :thumbs:
ZoomV
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by ZoomV »

AQT wrote: Speaking of a sun, I think you forgot to enable shadows with your directional lighting (unless it was intentional, of course).
Directional Lighting with shadows is enabled. However apparently not one of the endor trees or rocks have shadow whatisit on them. You will notice that some of the boulders cast shadows though.
I only have a couple of nitpicks:
  • The loading screen looks...interesting... but wouldn't you rather just use an unedited screenshot to show off your map?
  • The stock Felucia ambient sound seems very out of place, in my opinion. If you have to use a stock sound, I think Yavin's forest ambiance would be a better choice.
Hmm, You might have a point on the ambient. My figuring with the loadscreen is that there isn't much point to be showing off the map when the player is going to be seeing it firsthand in a matter of seconds. I was kinda flipping back and forth between this and doing what SWTOR does and display the planet's concept art.
A suggestion I have is to use KotOR/TOR music for the maps.
Wait is this legal? Because I totally wanted to use Alderaan: The Throne but I had assumed the lawyers would come after me if I did.
I don't use KOTOR music because to me KOTOR, particularly KOTOR I's soundtrack always seemed to be a bit ..overbearing..

@marth thanks, I'll play with it.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Regarding shadows, Endor's trees don't have shadowvolumes, so you need to use a world shadow map instead (see Endor).

Regarding music, Yes it's legal lol, I mean have you *seen* my mod? :funny2:
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Marth8880 wrote:Regarding music, Yes it's legal lol, I mean have you *seen* my mod? :funny2:
This isn't the place for a dragged-out debate, but no it's not. The Mass Effect mod infringes on copyright. Using KotOR music would infringe on copyright. It's not even questionably fair use, because at the very least it fails the "transformative vs. derivative" test. (Lest anyone think I'm pointing fingers, I'm not pointing them further than myself, either.)

"Legally actionable" and "Legally-reasonable-to-pursue" are two different things, though, so like everyone else who uses copyrighted material, be judicious. You're not going to get in trouble here, but don't fool yourself either (re: the legality of the situation).
ZoomV
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by ZoomV »

So basically there is ample precedent in the modding community for it, but it is also very.....sketchy

Lord help us all of the lawyers ever stumble across the EaW modding community.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Heh, yeah, yeah... :P
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

ZoomV wrote:
AQT wrote: Speaking of a sun, I think you forgot to enable shadows with your directional lighting (unless it was intentional, of course).
Directional Lighting with shadows is enabled. However apparently not one of the endor trees or rocks have shadow whatisit on them. You will notice that some of the boulders cast shadows though.
Huh, you're right. :o But it seems none of the units and their weapons cast shadows, though.
_=XL=_Danny
Private

Post by _=XL=_Danny »

I don't know why, but only on the Icebound map, the bottom left custom icons take up about the entire bottom left of my screen. I pretty much have 1/4th of my screen covered :lol: And I do have the 1.3 patch installed but without the custom hud enabled which is really strange. Any ideas, help?
ZoomV
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by ZoomV »

_=XL=_Danny wrote:I don't know why, but only on the Icebound map, the bottom left custom icons take up about the entire bottom left of my screen. I pretty much have 1/4th of my screen covered :lol: And I do have the 1.3 patch installed but without the custom hud enabled which is really strange. Any ideas, help?
hmm I'm using the 1.3 with the vanilla HUD. Whats your resolution? Also do you have normal sized icons in the normal places in addition to the giant icons or do you just have one set of giant icons?
AQT wrote:Huh, you're right. :o But it seems none of the units and their weapons cast shadows, though.
Hmm that is weird I never noticed that until you pointed it out. I'm not sure why though.
Last edited by ZoomV on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

Alright so I played the maps several times, and all I can say is great job! :thumbs:

I really enjoyed how a simple layout that looked very polish provided a great strategical battlefield, namely on Treefall. The units were all fun to play as, as well as having elements of the stock unit style presented. However, there may be a few things to change:
-Sticky grenades should also stick to props, floor, etc.
-It was hard to win as the republic. Maybe getting rid of the Sith AI?
-Heroes! Please add some heroes, especially since it's SWTOR and you could do so much. A while back I made a ton of SWTOR-esk heroes, force powers, and effects. DM me if interested.
-The railshot on the Merc shouldn't have 200 shots lol.

Other than that, awesome job!
ZoomV
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by ZoomV »

The problem with the Sith and the wardroids is that their presence as a local side is simultaneously necessary for balance and breaks balance at the same time.

Before I introduced the local side it was effectively impossible to win as Empire on Treefall. I was never able to win on elite, and my tester wasn't able to either. This of course is very problematic since Icebound is unquestionably Imperial dominant, thus buffing the imperial units was out of the question. I tried tweaking around with unit counts particularly for the specials but was never able to get any meaningful results.

Thus the Sith and the Wardroids where introduced, and proved very successful at balancing. In my testing I found that after the introduction of the Sith and the Wardroids that in most cases the match would stay pretty much neck and neck , unfortunately that meant that both sides are hitting what I call the "sudden death" phase of conquest at the same time, basically the point at which the reinforcement count has dropped below the number of Ai on the field. When both sides are in the sudden death phase the presence of the Sith and the wardroids becomes a massive advantage since they are basically free reinforcements.

I seriously considered removing them again but the pros and cons where about the same but keeping them let me match the source material better so I ended up keeping them.

Also you can't make sticky grenades stick to props, trust me I tried. The railshot's ammo is shared with the pistol, this is to avoid a previous issue with the fact that having both the railshot and the pistol reloading at the same time meant that the pistol's reload time would be increased astronomically.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

That makes a lot of sense, but maybe just have the droids and remove the Sith, since they are very powerful compared to the wardroids.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Post by jedimoose32 »

I finally got around to installing this map pack today. Very well done environments! I especially liked Treefall's atmosphere.
Icebound was also really good, and made superb use of stock assets to create an entirely new environment. My only concern was that there were no clear "paths" to and from important locations. I found myself relying on the mini-map way more than usual to find CPs. A couple times I ran up a hill/ramp and found that it led nowhere, so I had to go back down and find a way around.
This is a really minor concern - I only brought it up because it broke the flow of an otherwise really smooth and well-put together experience.
Nice work on the weapons. I thought they felt pretty balanced.

:thumbs:
_=XL=_Danny
Private

Post by _=XL=_Danny »

My resolution is 1920x1080 and I am using the vanilla hud. Just on the Icebound map, the grenade icons and weapon icons are huge for some reason. On Treefall it all works fine, so I don't understand what the problem is :cry:
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

Had the same problem, but after i removed the v1.2 HUD i haven't tried again. I'm playing on 1920x1080, too.
I had problems with endor for my rc mod, too. But i never tried to play on an lower resolution. But i'll figure that out.

Are you all playing on an lower resolution than 1920x1080?? I thought everybody has an full hd display o.O
ZoomV
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by ZoomV »

I play at 1024x980, for some weird reason my laptop won't let me play at larger resolutions despite my computer screen being significantly wider. Only does it to BF2.

Guess I should have someone else start beta'ing my HUDs in the future.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Post by jedimoose32 »

Anakin, I've been playing at 1920x1080 and both your HUD and Zoom's work fine for me. I have the 1.3 patch HUD installed as well.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

yes my one is fine for me, too. Endor was removed from the side mod, because i had the problems ;)