Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

Post by Teancum »

SnakeEyesRaw wrote:I just don't want to be in first person sprinting around the deserts of Tatooine for an hour to get to that command post on the other end of the map so that I can win and unlock that cool looking blaster that's still not as good as the one you can buy in that new DLC that's going to be coming out in a week that's going to be replaced by a superblaster DLC the week after.
This. A hundred times this.

What made the original Battlefront games great was the "15 minutes of constant fun and action", something I feel is extremely lacking in the recent Battlefield games. I don't want maps measured in multiple square miles. Rather, I want something that seems big due to the scale of the battle. How many mod maps are there where someone thought using 512x512 terrain was a good idea? And how many of those were actually good?

Also, I'm extremely concerned about the industry's take on DLC. *If* there are microtransactions this will be my exit to the Battlefront series. DLC should be large-scale if I have to pay for it, and I'm certainly afraid of the idea that someone can pay a dollar for a better weapon, forcing me to do the same to stay competitive.

I'm trying really hard to stay optimistic, but the more I hear the more it seems like the Battlefront I don't want.
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

Teancum wrote: Also, I'm extremely concerned about the industry's take on DLC. *If* there are microtransactions this will be my exit to the Battlefront series. DLC should be large-scale if I have to pay for it, and I'm certainly afraid of the idea that someone can pay a dollar for a better weapon, forcing me to do the same to stay competitive.
I agree with this point.
But maybe this game will contain more than we all have expected. I mean there are just two trailers and a few information. We have not already seen how the gameplay will be or how exactly large the maps and amount of content will be. I would say we all need to wait for more information. What if they suddenly changed their mind in modding this game. Then we all don't need to worry about DLC's anymore.
And we also need to hope that they will add Jar Jar Bings and all the other Gungangs. That's the only thing where we should be worried about.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Teancum wrote:*If* there are microtransactions this will be my exit to the Battlefront series.
Better make your exit now then, lolz... Knowing EA, there's almost no way that microtransactions *won't* be present in some form or another. Personally, I don't mind MTs at all if they're cosmetic; I only mind them *somewhat* if it's done the way Battlefield does it with its Battlepacks (loot crates with tier-based, randomized contents); and I mind them *completely* if it's a direct pay-to-win model, i.e., you're literally paying some dollar value to immediately acquire some specific gun (as opposed to paying some amount of money to *maybe* get the weapon or droids you're looking for).

Speaking of which, this reminds me of that blog post I wrote regarding microtransactions during my first quarter of school for my History of Games class, lolz... :o https://aarondoesblogs.wordpress.com/opinion/
Zapattack1234
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Projects :: The Wrecked Graveyard_Amongst the Ruins
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1 and 2
xbox live or psn: xbla:Rehmfire49

Post by Zapattack1234 »

Marth8880 wrote:
Teancum wrote:*If* there are microtransactions this will be my exit to the Battlefront series.
Better make your exit now then, lolz... Knowing EA, there's almost no way that microtransactions *won't* be present in some form or another. Personally, I don't mind MTs at all if they're cosmetic; I only mind them *somewhat* if it's done the way Battlefield does it with its Battlepacks (loot crates with tier-based, randomized contents); and I mind them *completely* if it's a direct pay-to-win model, i.e., you're literally paying some dollar value to immediately acquire some specific gun (as opposed to paying some amount of money to *maybe* get the weapon or droids you're looking for).

Speaking of which, this reminds me of that blog post I wrote regarding microtransactions during my first quarter of school for my History of Games class, lolz... :o https://aarondoesblogs.wordpress.com/opinion/
I find it interesting that I've waited 10 years for this game to be announced with seemingly limitless excitement, only to have it be halted by DICE's decision to cut the Clone Wars era and space battles from the mix. Originally I was okay with DICE being handed the reigns to the operation and I am still going to buy this game without any either of my favorite mode/era included at launch.... But I swear if there are any kind of microtransactions in this game i have to agree with Tean, I'm out.

I also don't see this game having the same decade of replay ability as the first two. With only four planets at launch and only one era, I have a feeling it may get old rather quickly.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

From a content point-of-view, I'm much more interested in the framework that this game will have rather than the skin laid over top. There were minimal differences between the CW and GCW eras, and collapsing them into two sides - especially if they're more distinct from each other than SWBF1/2 - doesn't bother me. I wouldn't even really be bothered if they did CW instead of GCW.

Same deal with the lack of "space combat" that much hullaballoo is being made over. The only SW games to have really true "space combat" have been the XW/TIE series of games, which have allowed for vast 3D battlefields. Every other game - Rogue Squadron, Battlefront, etc. - has had limited fields of battle (and the original Rogue Squadron never went to "space" either) that, if they used the "space" setting, only used it as window dressing. There's no fundamental difference (in Battlefront) between a large ground map with flyers and a space map with flyers, and I'd go so far as to say that nine times out of ten, you have a much more interesting setting if it's tied close to the ground.

The number of "planets" being featured is arbitrary. Any given Battlefield game is only ever set on one planet, and they usually have pretty varied battlegrounds.

On some level, I guess, I'm invested in the volume of novel Star Wars concepts that get thrown in, but ultimately, no matter how that shakes out, that the game exists as a good game is more important to me. It's still set in our favorite far, far away galaxy, and I'd just as soon there be something there that's fun to play.
Zapattack1234
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel

Post by Zapattack1234 »

True, I believe that I might have set me expectations too high after such a long wait. Nonetheless, I will await the day I get to fly through space as numerous other players fly around me, engaged in a beautiful array of lasers and explosions.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

Lest I seem old-manish about my arguments, this post over at Se7ensins sums up the logic perfectly.

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads ... t-10468777
Hidden/Spoiler:
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Post by jedimoose32 »

I was thinking of posting that chart as well. It really illustrates that, no matter what your stance on the Clone Wars era or DLC or space battles is, the game as a whole looks to be a massive leap backwards except in the area of visuals.
Zapattack1234
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel

Post by Zapattack1234 »

I had no idea there was no instant action or galactic conquest in this one :O. Not going to lie, that worries me a lot. I wish Pandemic would rise from the dead to save the day right now.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

jedimoose32 wrote:the game as a whole looks to be a massive leap backwards except in the area of visuals.
What did I just try to tell you all?
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

Your opinion, which you are entitled to. Don't use my post to patronize others in a thread that exists for everyone to discuss and speculate in a friendly manner.
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

Teancum wrote:Lest I seem old-manish about my arguments, this post over at Se7ensins sums up the logic perfectly.

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads ... t-10468777
Hidden/Spoiler:
Ah good someone corrected that chart.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

It's totally disingenuous to post a comparison list based off of the feature list of one thing. It's like criticizing an apple for not being an orange (or a red apple for not being green, smart-alecks). You can't turn back the clock, guys.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

Fair point. My concern is not so much that my wishlist is not being fulfilled... I don't expect the game to live up to my personal idea of what it should look like. Aside from improved graphics, though, what is something that Battlefront 2015 will have that is actually better than what's included in its predecessors?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

jedimoose32 wrote:Aside from improved graphics, though, what is something that Battlefront 2015 will have that is actually better than what's included in its predecessors?
How can any one answer that question at this juncture? It'd be silly to quantify everything ("the AI now think in 50% more dimensions!"), and quantifiable information is all you'll get until someone outside the EA marketing department sees or plays the game.

I'm not all-in on this game, but we're ten years out and two companies removed from SWBF1/2. I'm not going to commit to a strong stance of hating or loving a game that I've only barely seen, and I'm not going to really expect it to be the same game as we've played since 2005. Nothing works that way. I'm looking forward to a Star Wars Battlefield-esque game, and we'll see what transpires in November.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Stolen off of Reddit.
Hidden/Spoiler:

Dropbox is derping out on me right now, if the above isn't working, here's a backup.

http://i.imgur.com/GiWuUBT.jpg
Last edited by THEWULFMAN on Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

Sure. My point was never that EA is the devil, nor was it to say that it's going to be a bad game. I think at this point I'd call myself cautiously pessimistic. So, I'm hoping it will be a good game, and I will buy it (probably), but I am more or less unphased by what I've seen and heard so far.
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

THEWULFMAN wrote:Stolen off of Reddit.
Hidden/Spoiler:
I couldn't agree more.
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Post by Cleb »

Marth8880 wrote:Perhaps because the Clone Wars has had the crap milked out of it and many fans of the games, such as the new game's designers as well as myself, are tired of it? Or maybe because Lucas wasn't there for once to enforce his own ridiculous "creative input" in the pre-production and development processes. :P I know not everyone feels the same, of course, but I personally don't mind its absence in the new Battlefront. I'm sick of the era.
I would actually prefer they left out GCW (except Hoth) and had only the Clone Wars. I don't know about you guys, but I despised the Clone Wars show (which, to me, is not canon and never will be), and the most recently released Star Wars game I own is actually Battlefront II. But, the main reason I would rather have the Clone Wars is because I want to be able to fly my favorite ship in Star Wars, the LAAT, which is quite literally the direct reason I ever even learned to mod and therefore found this site.
Marth8880 wrote:AT-ATs are probably scripted for a very good reason. I mean, did you see that super-dense environment it was romping around in?!? That'd be ridiculous to set up accurate collision in such a confined environment, and even then, it's not like there's really any room to maneuver in anyways.
I understand that logic for Endor, where it would probably be more frustrating to maneuver that beast than just let autopilot take over, but what about the AT-AT's true home, Hoth? There will most likely be lots of space to walk around there, so I don't see why they should make that part autopilot. However it doesn't appear that they have talked much about that part, so we'll see.

Regarding microtransactions, I don't really mind it, so long as it's cosmetic (because you can then laugh at the idiots who paid real money to make themselves look pretty in a video game), that any premium weapons are not overpowered, just different, and/or as long they aren't forcing you to pay for new maps and stuff, because that's just a slimy business tactic. I really like the way it is in World of Tanks, where you can pay real money for tanks and maybe get a small boost in progress, but the premium tanks aren't really superior to normal ones.

About modding, someone said that modding will cause more cheating, while this is true, I can't really remember any time at least in Battlefront where modding caused problems with people cheating. I suppose if someone wanted to cheat or mess around they could host their own server and do that.

Basically the only thing I have left is the lack of a big single player. I don't really like playing online much, especially shooters, and the vast majority of my favorite moments playing video games were in single player or local split screen offline, be it exploring maps, doing 1 on 1s, or just generally screwing around. I actually cannot think of any given moment in the original Battlefronts where I had more fun playing online than offline.

And also, this says that space battles are still a prospect for the future. :wink:
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Cleb wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I despised the Clone Wars show (which, to me, is not canon and never will be),

Yeah, I hated that garbage.