Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Re: Star Wars: Battlefront (2015)

Post by jedimoose32 »

*shifts uncomfortably in seat*
The Nasal Abyss
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Currently Working on an Indie Game
Games I'm Playing :: Splatoon 2
xbox live or psn: Stm: Tight Verbage

Post by The Nasal Abyss »

Cleb wrote: I don't know about you guys, but I despised the Clone Wars show (which, to me, is not canon and never will be)
Have you watched past episode 10-ish of season 3? If you have, I can draw no conclusion on why you could think this. So much of seasons 4,5, and 6 rival the original trilogy in terms of quality and entertainment. Pure Star Wars bliss.

People bashing the newly announced Battlefront about not including features from previous installments are grasping at straws. You all know how much I love Battlefront, but c'mon. The campaign and Galactic conquest modes were just different ways to play conquest/space battles. Also, what they have announced for offline "missions" sounds extremely similar to what campaign we already had.

I would rather DICE focus on knocking it out of the park with the initial release. Making the included content/game play as good as possible; and then expanding from there. Because if you make a game play well enough, having tons of variety no longer becomes paramount (see games like LoL, they are immensely popular; the only difference from match to match other than the plays that players make are the characters they choose). Maybe it's because I'm still obsessed with older games that play incredibly to this day (Smash Melee, SM64, and UT99) that makes me more tolerant of "lack of content" as long as the game plays well. The amount of maps, planets and scenarios you have means very little in the long run; focus on making a great game first. In fact, I would argue that too much variety/options sometimes hurts a game more than it helps.

I sometimes have extremely unpopular opinions. I've shared them on Reddit a couple of times now and gotten downvoted to oblivion because anything remotely resembling support for Battlefront angers the hivemind right now.
Last edited by The Nasal Abyss on Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SG-17
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Post by SG-17 »

How can they build on SWBF2? Its been 10 years, it's a new engine and a new developer. They don't have unlimited time or budget. They don't have a previous game to pull assets from (Pandemic got SWBF2 out so quickly because they copied over over half of what they built in SWBF1).

DICE has to focus on laying a solid groundwork for this game that they can build off of it later with DLC and sequels.
FragMe!
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Not sure keep changing my mind.
Games I'm Playing :: F1 and SWBF
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by FragMe! »

My turn :D

I don't expect it to be similar in anyway to Battlefront I and II, different company different era and trying to compare what was and what will be is rather pointless.

From the limited bits I have seen and from having spent many hours, such as many of you have done, modding characters, building and environments I am blown away by what has been shown in the obviously produced for web trailer but if the physics of movement and quality of graphics remains that high and doesn't produce a laggy experience either of line or online then I think it is a good thing.

As for which era is included doing GCW with the DLC leading into the movie then it actually makes sense. Will they make more DLC to incorporate the movies, if the want to make more money then I would say sure. Will they make a CW era down the road, see previous statement.

Regardless I am looking forward to playing the game and hopefully hooking up online with some of my long lost Gametoast buddies, so I can exact my revenge, oh I mean for friendly multiplayer action.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

The Nasal Abyss wrote:
Cleb wrote:
Marth8880 wrote: I don't know about you guys, but I despised the Clone Wars show (which, to me, is not canon and never will be)
[...]
I didn't say that, you creepy monkey! :o
FragMe! wrote:Regardless I am looking forward to playing the game and hopefully hooking up online with some of my long lost Gametoast buddies, so I can exact my revenge, oh I mean for friendly multiplayer action.
Looking forward to it too. One might say that I'm eager to...frag you! GET IT? :V
FragMe!
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Not sure keep changing my mind.
Games I'm Playing :: F1 and SWBF

Post by FragMe! »

FragMe! wrote:Regardless I am looking forward to playing the game and hopefully hooking up online with some of my long lost Gametoast buddies, so I can exact my revenge, oh I mean for friendly multiplayer action.
Looking forward to it too. One might say that I'm eager to...frag you! GET IT? :V
Yes but that won't work as my new online name I use is Radioactive Jim just haven't changed it here because everyone knows and loves me as Fragme! :yes:
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

Marth8880 wrote:
I don't get it....
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

I probably shouldn't do this, but I wasted like 5 minutes making it, so why not
Hidden/Spoiler:
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

But Episode IV had a giant explosion at the end. Episode I hadn't.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Aside from the fact that Episode I did, in fact, have a giant explosion (the whole Anakin blowing up the Trade Federation ship was a clear homage to the Death Star run), that's kinda my point. The chart posted earlier doesn't say anything that the new Battlefront has that the old one didn't. Such as new gamemodes, player character creation (choosing species, gender, and loadout), or the multitude of things we still don't know about the game.
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

Hey I just found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMvoqKGZbms

This video is just six days old but I wonder why no one posted it before.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

At 2:11

"when the New Republic confronted key Imperial holdouts"

Guys,

GUYS.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Yeah, they said that in the copy on their site, too. I wouldn't put much stock in it one way or another. I figure there's as good a chance as not that some marketing intern had to make a best guess at what to call the Rebels after Episode 6 and just went with "New Republic."
ZoomV
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Projects :: Old Republic Map pack
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 SWTOR and GW2

Post by ZoomV »

THEWULFMAN wrote:I'm just gonna step in and remind everyone that in a development studio like DICE, the people responsible for art and sound assets are not the same people who code and design the gameplay.

Meaning it doesn't matter how good or bad the game looks, the game designers had the same amount of time to work on it as the art designers.

Worst case, they hire more artists and they can't afford to hire more designers, but this is DICE. That's not gonna be an issue with them.

So any and all issues relating to the gameplay are not tied to how it looks.
I know that, but that doesn't mean the art and sound guys may or may not be getting a disproportionate amount of the budget/manpower/stuffs. Because really they have gone to great lengths to hype how true the visuals are the original trilogy, but at the same time getting info about the actual gameplay is like pulling teeth.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it, but to me that is not a good sign.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Post by jedimoose32 »

Alright, so that gameplay we just saw was mind-blowingly awesome. The hero stuff even looked like a lot of fun. Seems like they've done a good job.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

Link to the gameplay for those who need it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXU5k4U8x20

And I'll copy the post I just made in the E3 thread, for the sake of discussion:
Eggman wrote: Looks and sounds beautiful. DICE always makes really beautiful gameplay trailers that are heavily staged, but I'm finally excited for the game. Includes all sorts of stuff that make it feel like a classic Star Wars Battlefront game: 1st/3rd person, variety of weapons, grenades, jetpacks, air and ground vehicles, turrets, awkward snowspeeder camera angles ( :P ), and so on!
Hidden/Spoiler:
My only gripe is that they show Luke in his RotJ oufit instead of his Hoth pilot outfit. I hope they change that. :(
EDIT for some more thoughts on the trailer:

-The HUD looks a little big. I hope we can customize size/transparency like in Battlefield 4.
-Flying appears to work similarly to SWBF2. The TIE fighter even shows off a SWBF2-style evasive maneuver, complete with the same camera angles.
-Gotta love snowspeeders flying through the legs of AT-ATs.
-I wonder what all the 'activate' prompts are for in the hangar at the beginning? I think some are for turrets. It looked like there were a lot of others, though.
-Those Rebels got their hands on some serious shield technology. Their little portable shield generator stopped an orbital strike!
Last edited by Eggman on Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Nasal Abyss
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: Currently Working on an Indie Game
Games I'm Playing :: Splatoon 2
xbox live or psn: Stm: Tight Verbage

Post by The Nasal Abyss »

This is my last human contact before November. I'm stepping into my cryo chamber as I type this. Goodbye. See you on the other side.
JazzMaster
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: Cato Neimoidia- Invasion
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2

Post by JazzMaster »

:shock: I'm so ready to play this game. Everything in that trailer looked flawless.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

jedimoose32 wrote:Alright, so that gameplay we just saw was mind-blowingly awesome. The hero stuff even looked like a lot of fun. Seems like they've done a good job.
This. My suspicions have been calmed.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

I loved it! It looks like a Star Wars: Battlefront game, and those who were worried it would be Battlefield with a Star Wars skin should have their concerns alleviated, or be reminded that SWBF was a Battlefield clone to begin with. I can't wait for more.