Starship Troopers - Whiskey Outpost v1.0 [OFFICIAL RELEASE]

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Re: Starship Troopers - Whiskey Outpost v0.99 [Updated 4/17]

Post by razac920 »

Yeah, I really like the spectator mode. Much more fun than sitting in a bleachers with binoculars or something. So are you testing the MP right now?

EDIT: How did you test Survival mode on MP? Were you playing an earlier version?
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

/admin /addmap WSKg_surv

And the normal hunt mode works just fine as mentioned in my other post.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

Ah okay. I didn't think it would work online anyway. So what do you think of the spectator? I am trying (without success) to give him some terrain collision, so that he doesn't have to worry about falling through the floor. But I wonder if that matters to other people? Maybe they WANT to fly under the floor to see all the secret hidden CPs below?
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

I personally like flying through the floor. It gives a much more authentic spectator view.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

Well okay then. I guess I'll keep it the way it is then. I was just concerned that some people might be upset that they have to very quickly deploy jetpack before falling through the floor and dying.
Oh, and I liked the feature of having the ghost spawn on top of your dead body. But ehh perhaps another mod could do that :P
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Post by jedimoose32 »

played .98 and here are my thoughts:

- Bear in mind that I (unfortunately) have not yet seen or read Starship Troopers, so any nods to that content that you may have included in the map will most likely fly over my head.
- I like the concept of base defense. Seeing the horde of bugs spill over the horizon was pretty terrifying and it was fun to rain death from above with the turrets.
- Speaking of death from above, I found the turrets were the only effective method for killing a respectable number of bugs. As soon as I tried using handheld weapons I felt like I was throwing pebbles at them. That may just be my perception and I could be very wrong. To be fair, it was also hard to know which bug I was hitting, or how much damage I was doing, because there are so many of them in a small area and so many marines shooting all over the place.
- Again, I like the base defense idea. However I think the base itself is lacking detail. Adding more places to go shoot at enemies would be awesome. Or a second ramp. Maybe some other props to vary the appearance of the structure, as right now it's just the same blocks repeated.
- Out of the three times I've played, I was only able to play as the bugs once. The other times I tried choosing them it would just not let me and I'd have to choose Marines.
- I know you're in the process of fixing this, but I had a good chuckle at the Tank bug. :)
- I'm probably just terrible at life, but I have never made it far enough to see the shuttle that everyone else has mentioned. Could be a bug, could be a difficulty issue, or maybe I'm just bad at the game. But once the bugs inevitably breach the wall it's always game over I've found.

I definitely had fun with the map though. I'm looking forward to future updates!
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

jedimoose32 wrote: - I'm probably just terrible at life, but I have never made it far enough to see the shuttle that everyone else has mentioned. Could be a bug, could be a difficulty issue, or maybe I'm just bad at the game.
I found a way to defeat the shotgun recoil if you or anyone else cares;

Get your aim in a straight line on an enemy where you want it, but look up over them, then start bringing the mouse down... when you get the mouse below the target spam the [Diet Dr. Coke] out of the trigger, but at the same time keep dragging the mouse downward. If you do this right you will land every shot on the targets. 8)
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

Ah well if you're interested in the source material, here's a clip of the battle (the first part of it, anyway)

I really enjoyed watching the endless swarm of bugs approach too :)

I'd disagree with you there. Certainly the turrets are BEST for killing, but the rifles aren't bad. However, the AI suck at aiming downwards, so they only really become useful once the wall is breached and everyone is on flat ground.

I will add more features to "beautify" the base.

Right, I made the switch to require the player to be on the Marines side. It works much better as a campaign, and honestly I don't think playing as the bugs (here) would be much fun. The AI seem to target the human especially, and so pretty much every time I tried playing as the Bugs I would be dead before I reached them. However, I did reduce the AI difficulty for the MP-compatible hunt mode to try to balance things out, so that it is possible to actually get kills as the bugs.

Yeah, it's pretty funny, but I will fix it up.

I think it was a bug you were experiencing. I think in that version the tank bugs were lacking collisions, meaning they would be impervious to bullets and thus could easily break the wall and incinerate everyone :) I will fix that up.

And yup, that's how I use the shotgun too. Very handy against waves of bugs. :)

Update!
1. Added the tank bug back in (this time a reskinned ATTE)
2. Added some features to the base: a large satellite disk, a few smaller antennae and consoles, and a bunch of crates and barrels.
3. Did some rebalancing to hunt mode
4. Improved the AI strategy for survival mode
5. A few other small tweaks

I think at this point I'm ready to release, but before I do, I'd like a few people to test out the latest version.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Re: Starship Troopers - Whiskey Outpost v1.0 pre-release

Post by jedimoose32 »

I like the pre-release version, its differences from the previous version, while subtle, are very helpful. The props inside the base make it a bit easier to survive after the wall is breached, and it looks a bit more like a base as well. Might I recommend re-skinning a couple small Mos Eisley buildings and placing them around the edges of the sides and back of the outpost, so that the outpost appears to be more than just four walls and some crates? The video you linked me is apparently unavailable, but I found another one showing the battle and it looks like there are some small buildings in and around the outpost as well. Personally I think the addition of a few of these items would help make the map a little more interesting. I understand that it's very gameplay-centered, so in the end it boils down to the marines trying to stop the bugs from breaching the wall and killing them in a gruesome display, but visuals are nice.

Hunt mode is a nice add-on. Right now it suffers from a very serious imbalance - the marines absolutely own the arachnids whenever I play as either team. I think this is because the marines have ranged attacks, while the arachnids do not, and there is absolutely no cover to be found. Adding some props (boulders, crates, small buildings, debris from the prior destruction of Whiskey Outpost :P) would be very helpful for both teams, I think. It would also make the map look more interesting.

Bottom line from my perspective is that the gameplay is good, but the map needs more attention.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Starship Troopers - Whiskey Outpost v1.0 [OFFICIAL RELEA

Post by razac920 »

It's officially released! Check it out on the first post! There are also lots of new screenshots!
Changes:
- converted survival mode into a cinematic objective mode
- objectives more or less progress as they do in the movie
- added some epic movie quotes at appropriate moments
- improved up the spectator
- improved bug AI
- improved AI handling of shuttles
- balanced team DM mode
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0EqjFCPFdY

This is such as huge breathe of fresh air. Thank you razac for this. I know icemember(on swbfcustom) could use a good scripter like you for his dev team. I put a good word for you bro.
razac920
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by razac920 »

Aww man you were soo close! Just 30 seconds away...

I added your video to the first post, and if anyone else makes a gameplay video they want to share, just let me know, and I'll add it.

Oh and thanks for the support on swbfcustom! It should be fun to work in a group on Designated Days maps for a change :)
AzrealX
Games I'm Playing :: WarShift
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by AzrealX »

i been a huge fan of StarShip Troopers for along time and was just thinking about getting back into modding and using SWBF2 to do just that and was thinking of a ST mod and saw this. getting it now, Thanks for all the work u put into this. any chance of having other marines like the armored out ones from ST:Invasion series? or the power armor and mechs ect? i would be willing to help all i can. i can model. so if u ever need any help with 3d models just let me know.