Tatooine At War [Released]

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Tatooine At War [Released]

Post by thelegend »

Tatooine At War

Tatooine At War is a total conversion map that covers Mos Eisley, Jabbas Palace and many more famous places of Tatooine. This map is very large and detailed. All main places are connected by eachother and other places farer away can only be reached by the Player.

Mos Eisley: Mos Eisley is the largest city in this map. There are many streets and sub streets, shops and markets, dockingbays and more. Famous places are the Cantina, the Crashed Spaceship in the North and some big plazas.

Tusken Camp: This camp is hidden behind hills and canyons. This is a dangerous place to stay because Tusken Riders cover this place. They even defend their Camp by enemies.

Jabbas Palace: A large palace owned by the infamous Jabba the Hutt. This palace is dangerous either. Jabba's guards are running around and kill everyone who has not been invited.

The only era is GCW and the only mode is currently Conquest. I am going to release a public beta within the next couple of days.

GCW Era: The Empire fights against the Rebels who want to set this planet free by the invaders. Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker are the heroes on this map, followed by Han Solo and Boba Fett. There are also some new units with newer or better weapons than the others.
Many units, mostly the imperial ones, have been reskinned or got new attached stuff like capes or bags.

In this map there are Assets from Battlefront 1, Battlefront 2 and Battlefront 3 (Thanks to Corra_Ashu for releasing them) and some custom or edited objects/assets.

Vehicles: Most flyers use new models (From the cancelled) Battlefront 3 such as the A-Wing or the Tie Fighter. There will be more vehicles (Mostly flyers) in the final map like new modes.

Planned Modes: Currently this map only supports Conquest but I am going to add more modes:
-1 or 2 Flag
-Target (With Flyers)
-Survival (Based strongly on Battlefront by Dice)
-Hunt
-Hero Assault (Mos Eisley Only)
-(MAYBE) Custom Campaign Mission
New Features: There are some new things in this map like a new HUD (not seen in the following images), new laser textures, destroyable buildings (From Mos Eisley to Jabba's Palace[Had been in Coruscant: Modern Warfare before but now with better gameplay and effects]) and destroyable+crashing capital ships. A big thanks to AQT who helped me to fix the script problem I have had. Without him this new feature would never be possible.
Also thanks to all the others here who helped me doing this map.

Credits:
-Gametoast.com for their members and helping me all the time
-CGtextures for some ground textures
-Pandemic Studios for releasing Both Battlefront's Assets
-Free Radical Design for Battlefront III Assets
-Corra_Ashu for releasing or exporting many Assets from battlefront III
-AQT for helping me with the Crashing Spaceship feature
-Me for making this map

I know I am writing too much again so here are 40 Screenshots+A short Teaser Trailer showing this map, all the sides and more:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:

Teaser Trailer(Old): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI2ksQM ... O5rYC3xpWh
Last edited by thelegend on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Re: Tatooine At War

Post by Kingpin »

Wow. This looks amazing. This may your best work right here, as it has all of your signature features (Space to Ground, new models, etc.). Can't wait to play.
Drenaldo
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Kotor
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Drenaldo »

This looks incredible. Your previous mod, Coruscant Modern Warfare is my favorite of all time. I can't wait to try this one out!
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Impressive and very ambitious work! Looking forward to seeing how this all turns out in the end. :thumbs:

Re: Jar Jar in Carbonite :lol:
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Looks impressive, but you should really do something with the edges of your terrain so they aren't so obvious. Some sort of skydome mesh would be good, too - something mountainous maybe?
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

Wow, these characters and vehicles look really top notch! The faces of these characters are really clear and easy to see unlike the regular units that came with this game. This really looks like a very interesting bug type of map since you seem to be adding so many props, custom assets, maybe a few surprises in the map and much more I am probably not naming. Just to be clear, the city, Jabba's Palace and the Tusken Camp will all be in this map? Probably a stupid and simple question to ask but just wanted to make sure that it what you meant. Really looking forward to this map, probably will take like three or four more months but this will be worth the wait.
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

Thanks all. I am going to release the public beta still this evenening (West European Timezone). The beta will be avaiable until October 18th, 2015.
Marth8880 wrote:Looks impressive, but you should really do something with the edges of your terrain so they aren't so obvious. Some sort of skydome mesh would be good, too - something mountainous maybe?
Thanks. I already tried adding mountains as sky objects for about two times but it does not look good in-game as probably thought. I had that feeling there was enough space out there anymore. And by the way so gigher you fly do more the sky object keeps disappearing below the terrain everytime. Even if you jump the mountains raise down. I also tried merging the mountains to the skydome mesh (in xsi), but it still looked bad in my opinion.

EDIT: http://www.mediafire.com/download/cgrle ... ic_Beta.7z
Generalfacu
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront II KOTOR

Post by Generalfacu »

1- Those TIEs look great
2- That Boba Fett looks epic!
3- Can't wait :eek:

Post Data:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Will the Star Destroyers at the sky fire at each other? I mean, just because it will be more realistic if they attacked each other even if they didn't do any actual damage.
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

Generalfacu wrote: Post Data:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Will the Star Destroyers at the sky fire at each other? I mean, just because it will be more realistic if they attacked each other even if they didn't do any actual damage.
I was not going to add turrets that fire each ship. I will see if I can add larger turrets, but I believe they are way too big (because these destroyers/spaceships are smaller than the originals).

Update:

As I said before I am going to add more vehicles to the map (mostly flyers) and in the final version following vehicles were planned:
-Slave 1
-Millenium Falcon+Interoir
-Luke's Landspeeder
(Maybe Darth Vader's Tie too as well as I got the other vehicles working in-game).

And here are some Screenshots of the fully animated Slave 1 in-game.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Credits:
-Free Radical Design for that Slave 1 Model+Textures
-Corra_Ashu for converting it
-Me for exporting, animating and editing it for Battlefront II
I still need to add some sounds to it, editing the Third Person View, the laser cannons and a few quick things are left too.
booperdoo
Private Recruit
Projects :: Fallout power armor and era
Games I'm Playing :: Boop adventure

Post by booperdoo »

I was wondering if you were going to add 1st person huds for spaceships?
DanielSWBF2Gamer
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by DanielSWBF2Gamer »

I really wanna help you with anything in the future, I wanna be part of your team!!! :D I am currently working on that video analysis of your map!! I wanna make you a website and a Intro, that's how awesome I think you are.

Tell me your thoughts
Isaac1138
Corporal
Corporal
Games I'm Playing :: BF1+2 stronghold

Post by Isaac1138 »

One thing I dislike about the map, the fact that the "jabbas palace" is not placed in the actual building. And in the front of the Jabba's Palace there should be a landing platform for ships.
DarthDio
Private Third Class
Projects :: 2D Artist for Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: StarWars Battlefront
xbox live or psn: none

Post by DarthDio »

Downloading right now!

Dear , 'The_Legend' , will you continue to support and make maps for Battlefront 2 even after the release of the new game?
'cause if you keep making awesome maps like these , I will be replaying Battlefront 2 for the rest of my life ;)

Awesome and improved graphics , HUGE map , great planet , overall it makes me very satisfied , can't wait to play it. :funny2:
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

The beta is very impressive. I didnt find any bugs, but here are a few suggestions I had.
Hidden/Spoiler:
The clipping from the cape prevents the scout trooper from looking 100% coherent. It clips a lot and its super noticeable in 3rd person.
Hidden/Spoiler:
The green texture on the pilot seems a little too saturated/bright. I think you were trying to go for the green like the a-wing pilots. Something more like this:
Hidden/Spoiler:
As a suggestion the skin could benefit from looking less bright green. The red on the shock trooper also seems a little bright, but that's just my opinion.
Hidden/Spoiler:
The yellow sand texture doesn't blend as well as it should with the rest of the rocks and other structures. Making the sand less yellow and maybe more wavy would help improve how it looks compared to the rock textures.

http://www.texturemate.com/ <----- good website for textures.

Though I like the inclusion of free-radical models, it feels like the boba fetts one isn't meshed well. He has some pretty bulky parts that dont work well with the vanilla pandemic skeleton. The chunky parts like to mesh through each other. Darth vader also looks a lot darker than he needs to be. maybe make his black suit a tiny bit light so we can see the details.

I also feel that the capitol ships on the top are closer together than they should be. It might look better with them being spread out a little bit more.

If I may suggest there are a lot of improved models for sand troopers/storm troopers. You might want to try ggtuck's storm trooper pack found here(Also includes a very good red shock trooper skin) :

http://www.swbfgamers.com/index.php?topic=9594.0

The hit points on the auto turrets arnt placed right either. The projectiles look like they are coming from an invisible point a top of the player using it instead of a lower point closer to the barrel of the turret.

The scope on the E-11 blaster rifle looks a bit blocky, maybe finding a way to flatten it all together or adding more pixels to the scope area will make it look less blocky.

Over all it is a nice map and I hope you continue to do more maps like this. It reminds me of the new battlefront a little bit because it has turrets and all this other stuff going on. I like the use of locals and the paint job for the rebel tank is really cool. Matches last a reasonable amount of time and I did feel the ai was placed perfectly on certain paths. I was surprised that the snipers made good use of higher ground and rocket troopers put mines next to cp's in smart ways I haven't seen them do. Its kind of like how psyc0fred mentioned to the BF1 dev team that you need to make maps with good path placement to make the ai work with the map good and I believe this is a good example of how to do that.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

You've got a neat map here, and I think you do a far better job here with populating the battlefield than a lot of your other large maps (I think it helps a lot that you de-emphasized the air combat).

Organizationally, I think you need to rework the CP balance a little - it's far too easy to roll the Empire over as the Alliance. A big part of this, I suspect, has to do with the command post immediately between the town and the canyon - it's just far enough out that getting to it as the human player takes enough time for the AI to maintain a foothold there, and the allied AI are slow moving en masse to reinforce you. On the other hand, the team that starts with that post can easily project force into the town and the canyon, which usually means that human-allied Rebels take the town and the canyon within a few minutes of the match's start - and the AI have no effective way of moving out of their bottleneck in the palace (even their backdoor is unfriendly, since the Tuskens start with a CP there).

A friendly (and relatively easy) suggestion? Cut a path from your Tusken camp to your town and move your Jawa camp/Sandcrawler to the middle as a CP/map feature:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Start the Empire there. That opens up the map to flow a little better, gives them a point to help capture the Tusken camp, and gives your charge-down-the-canyon strategy a little counterplay.

And to add to the above comment about Boba Fett's model, it's not welded well:
Hidden/Spoiler:
If it seems like more work than you want to do to fix all those holes, I'd honestly just use the Pandemic Boba Fett model. You're not seeing a whole ton of improvement with the newer model - where the new Han Solo is noticeably different, the new Boba Fett isn't.

Also, you've got a neat Easter egg in the moisture farm, but no real incentive or direction to explore there. Make something interact-able there, or throw in, I dunno, some kind of vehicle.

Finally, while I wouldn't usually suggest whole new features, in my first playthrough, I noticed the Mon Cal cruiser landing. I assumed that it was a neat feature you had with the winning team's vessel setting down, but it seems to just happen based on a timer? Is there some rationale for that? It seems very apropos of nothing. It'd be really neat if you did something animated with the ships based off of game state, especially with their prominence in the sky - it'd be really easy to animate ships leaving once their corresponding team's reinforcement count dips below a certain level. Given what you already have in there (?), it'd be nice to see something a little more coherent done with that.
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

Hey all,
I know I have been away from keyboard for a longer period of time. Since I got my laptop working again I continued working on this map. I improved many skins+balanced some weapons. Most bugs are fixed now like the turret hardpoints of chaingun turrets. I just uploaded a Teaser slideshow showing some improvements and more.
Slideshow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT6lBcl ... e=youtu.be

By the way this map now support Survival Wave Mode. In this mode you play as a lone, stranded rebel soldier anywhere on Tatooine and you have to fight against a bunch of enemy waves. They are getting stronger and more powerful. But you will also receive weapons you discovered after a specific wave. You will also gain more HP and have to do objectives like capturing a command post or killing a target. The AI is not perfect but the gameplay works well with this mode. The AI becomes more difficult, aim better and their accuracy has been improved. That's all so far. In the end, after you have beaten all the waves you will be able to see how Star Destroyers crash etc. You have only three lives. You will obtain more lives after completing any waves.

Maveritchell wrote: A friendly (and relatively easy) suggestion? Cut a path from your Tusken camp to your town and move your Jawa camp/Sandcrawler to the middle as a CP/map feature
I am sorry to tell you that but I have already hit the Planning limit. I wish I could add more ways but the game doesn't allow me that.

Because of Boba Fett: I found out how to weld edges after I brought him into the game :oops: I am still going to improve some edges. But I still would like to keep that model. There are two reasons why: 1st. I have spent a lot of time in converting him (he was split into 5 or 6 parts; enveloping was really tough) and secondly I honestly prefer this model more than the pandemic's one. It has more detail and has more detailed textures. But you are right. I really need to fix those holes.

I will also add more vehicles. Your T-16 looks awesome. I believe I found a nice place for it anywhere on the map. Maybe a place next to Luke's farm. Thank you for making this.
booperdoo wrote:I was wondering if you were going to add 1st person huds for spaceships?
I was working on cockpits but after thinking for a long time I decided to remove them completely. Due to file sizes etc.
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

Glad to hear progress has been made on your map Legend! I enjoyed your public beta of the Tatooine at War map and I still play it here and there since a lot of strategizing is needed to win the battle for either team. The new video you posted is pretty awesome as well, glad to see you have made quite a bit of progress on the map as well. Welcome back to Gametoast!
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

Love the new additions! That wave mode sounds great.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

:D It's looking great! Im glad you had taken some of our suggestions, you really have improved a lot my friend.
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

Kingpin wrote:Love the new additions! That wave mode sounds great.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote::D It's looking great! Im glad you had taken some of our suggestions, you really have improved a lot my friend.
Thanks a lot. Currently I am working on a race mode that takes place around Tatooine. It's a single player race mode where you have to fly in T-16 Skyhoppers (Thanks to Maveritchell for releasing this asset) through 25 rings which build a complete line through stone gates, above sand dunes, across the entire map...Screenshots and a gameplay video will come when I finished the mode+all the sound effects.

EDIT:
It's not a gameplay video due to my recording program but I made a new teaser showing all three modes: Conquest, Survival and Race.
I also added space addition. You can now fly into space and fight your enemies there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxiyJ1sT2sM