Jakku: Salt Flats

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

RubikPanda
Private
Projects :: Jakku Salt Flats
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Jakku: Salt Flats

Post by RubikPanda »

Hello Gametoast :)
Jakku: Salt Flats is my first venture into Star Wars Battlefront 2 modding, taking place in a dried lake on the desolate planet of Jakku during the climatic planet-wide battle between the Galactic Empire and the Rebel Alliance.

The Empire has located a rebel detachment in a dried lake and has sent the 273rd Outer Rim Offensive Battalion to destroy them. However, reports suggest that the rebels may also have armoured vehicles, and the Battalion was told to advance with caution.
As the battle rages in the skies and all across the planet, the 273rd charge into battle in this isolated sector of the desert, but one that still holds strategic importance to the Empire.

Vehicles: The Imperials have 2 AT ATs and Speeder Bikes at their disposal, and the Rebels AAC-1s.

The map: Most of the map is relatively simplistic, however I have changed the textures and heights to add variety. Star destroyers are also present in the skies above the map, and in future I will try and add more objects to the flats e.g. junk and other things.

Another thing to say, it's 500 v 500, with 80 units on each side.

Screenshots (New)
Hidden/Spoiler:
Screenshots (Outdated):
Hidden/Spoiler:
Open Alpha/Beta:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/518opypdi0rrd ... A.rar?dl=0

Thank you for checking it out :)

-RubikPanda
Last edited by RubikPanda on Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
TheMastermindOfMaom
Private First Class
Projects :: None.
xbox live or psn: #PCMasterRace

Re: Jakku: Salt Flats

Post by TheMastermindOfMaom »

Nice.
Last edited by TheMastermindOfMaom on Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

This is an interesting map conecpt. I don't know much about Jakku (as the rest of the world does too except of Disney, Dice and Lego :lol: ) but you really need to add more objects (as you mentioned before) and my personal wish (Since we all saw how Jakku looks like in several images and video clips) is that you 1st. remove the blue fog, 2nd. Change the sky texture (I'd recommend the stock Tatooine one for personal reference since both planets are desert worlds) and 3rd. adding directional lighting. I won't say you maybe didn't already consider that but as you said before this map was your first venture into modding and most first maps I have seen use their default lighting/sky configuration.

Are you also going to add crashed or flying Star Destroyers as seen in The Force Awakens and in Battlefront (by Dice)?
I am looking forward for this map since I always love seeing new stuff from upcoming games or movies.
RubikPanda
Private

Post by RubikPanda »

thelegend wrote: 1st. remove the blue fog, 2nd. Change the sky texture (I'd recommend the stock Tatooine one for personal reference since both planets are desert worlds) and 3rd. adding directional lighting.
1. Not quite sure how to get rid of the blue fog, haven't really noticed it, will rummage around in the files to see if the Yavin thing is there
2. Thought I did change the sky texture to Tatooine, I'll make sure theres no reference to Yavin in the world folder
3. To be honest not quite sure how to do that yet, will find out soon though :D
thelegend wrote:Are you also going to add crashed or flying Star Destroyers as seen in The Force Awakens and in Battlefront (by Dice)?
I've been trying to get the model in game, but it keeps showing up as just invisible in Zero Editor. This is one of the main things I want to add, but if I can't get the big one to show up I might have to resort to using the mini ones (which are present in the sky)

I'm going to have to get most of the junk and stuff from maybe Tatooine's files, can't think of any other maps with more junk off the top of my head.

Other things I need to change is the map name, because when I first munged it I called it Jakku: Desert of Junk and now I can't change it, at least to my knowledge, as well as getting vehicle sound effects to work.

Thank you for checking out the topic :D

EDIT: Figured out how to add lighting, not sure whether to have it high in the sky or along the horizon... Also added a crashed (small) star destroyer :D (Screens will come soon)
AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Run the batch file titled editlocalize in your mod folder, the map name and map description are some where in there. Save changes and your map will be renamed.
mamswer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Here

Post by mamswer »

You got my support...
RubikPanda
Private

Post by RubikPanda »

Some more screenshots :)
Hidden/Spoiler:
Crashed Star Destroyer!
And thank you anthonybf2, managed to change the name :D

Hoping I don't need to use BF2_modtools.exe to save the mod for Alpha/Beta Testing as it apparently wasn't installed correctly and doesn't work, it probably does though
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

Looking pretty well so far but I would like to see a lot more props on this map so the map is not so empty when I get to play it. I understand this is either your first or second map but not a lot of people tend to like the big, open battlefield unless it has lots of props or just enough props to give the map a better reputation. Maybe add a couple village areas on the map, that would be pretty cool to see but if you decide not to then that is fine, your map, your decisions. You have done pretty well so far on the map as well but I would also like to suggest try and change the Yavin sky to a sky of your own creation or another regular map sky that fits in well with that environment, maybe Tatooine?
TheMastermindOfMaom
Private First Class

I am sure he will probably fill the map with props and such,but it is his first map so let's not fill his list with requests.
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

TheMastermindOfMaom wrote:I am sure he will probably fill the map with props and such,but it is his first map so let's not fill his list with requests.
These are not "requests," these are suggestions, there is a difference.
TheMastermindOfMaom
Private First Class

Also,RubikPanda,the BF2_ModTools.exe needs a fix on modern systems. It is just a windowed BF2 in which you can quickly check your maps.
RubikPanda
Private

Post by RubikPanda »

Continued trying to change the sky, these are all the files in the World Folder, ones related to sky highlighted.
Hidden/Spoiler:
JDJ.sky is Tat2.sky, other ones are related to that however the sky still doesn't change.
Am going to add some junk however probably from Tatooine and stuff.
TheMastermindOfMaom
Private First Class

Maybe change something in the files? I mean they might still have the Tattoine stuff in there.
RubikPanda
Private

Post by RubikPanda »

Thank you Kingpin! I clicked on one of those links and saw the Manual Cleaning tool, and it fixed it! Thanks :)

That means.... New screenshots!
Hidden/Spoiler:
TheMastermindOfMaom
Private First Class

Oh my God,that looks 20x better!

Now add custom sides,X-Wings/TIE-Fighters and improve the environment a bit and you got a 9/10 map from me.
These are suggestions btw.
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

Now this looks much better. I really like the overall looking so far.
RubikPanda
Private

Post by RubikPanda »

Would love to add starfighters, not sure how to put in the big star destroyers though (for ground maps), or if it would be better to complete this as a ground map, and then make a space map for Jakku with a load of everything.

Not quite sure if the big star destroyers will be too big for the map anyway
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

Definitely looks like a big improvement from the earlier screenshots. I like how you changed the sky to a Tatooine setting, gives the map a little bit more like a desert type setting. As Mastermind said, some custom sides may not be a bad idea but after all this is your first map so do not push your boundaries too far unless you want to. Custom sides just show you took time out of the day to make the sides feel more special.
TheMastermindOfMaom
Private First Class

If you want,just take some custom assets and credit their creator. I was going to do that,but I did not know how to make a custom odf :(