Star Wars Battlefront III (360) leak

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Star Wars Battlefront III (360) leak

Post by Teancum »

If you want to see if someone can help writing an extractor for the assets, check zenhax.com
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

It's already being worked on there. So we might soon have a load more from this game.
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

ggctuk wrote:It's already being worked on there. So we might soon have a load more from this game.
I saw that too. Re-tried what they said and even got some files. A lot of them (from the Sound's Assets) were .wav files. I even heard some familair sounds. It seems to work. I got over 500-600Mb's of files from the first .pak archive. Tomorrow or at any other day I am going to start extracting as many files as possible. The only thing left for me (in my opinion): Which kind of files and how many are we allowed to share here?

@All: Do you know how to open .rax, x2t and xma files?
My thoughts: x2t files might be texture files (But there could be thousands of more). xma must be sound files since I found them in sound folders only. Rax: Still no idea. I found many .rax files in animation folders.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Models were okay when they were extracted by Corra_Ashu, so I'd assume the same still goes for those. Sounds... I would be a bit more cautious towards those. The dialogue stuff such as cutscene dialogue may be permissable for use in mods though.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

thelegend wrote:@All: Do you know how to open .rax, x2t and xma files?
My thoughts: x2t files might be texture files (But there could be thousands of more). xma must be sound files since I found them in sound folders only. Rax: Still no idea. I found many .rax files in animation folders.
XMA are Xbox 360-specific sound files. Look for a program called "towav.exe" to convert them.
TheMastermindOfMaom
Private First Class
Projects :: None.
xbox live or psn: #PCMasterRace

Post by TheMastermindOfMaom »

Spiret wrote: [18:00:22] BananaSwag: Lots of people have that alpha
[18:00:30] BananaSwag: Don't listen to that Diet Dr. Pepper bag ttho
[18:00:40] BananaSwag: He says he has a final build for PC
[18:00:48] BananaSwag: Which is a dirty lie
[18:01:09] BananaSwag: He doesn't have it
BananaSwag replied to my comment and said that CorraAshu doesn't have the build so Spiret isn't wrong...right?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

TheMastermindOfMaom wrote:
Spiret wrote: [18:00:22] BananaSwag: Lots of people have that alpha
BananaSwag replied to my comment and said that CorraAshu doesn't have the build so Spiret isn't wrong...right?
Doesn't matter whether he does or not. We don't, and anyone on the internet can make up anything they want. Truth doesn't matter, as someone could be telling the truth, or making something up. If someone wants something to leak, they'll leak it. Until then no amount of wanting will make it happen.
DarthDio
Private Third Class
Projects :: 2D Artist for Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: StarWars Battlefront
xbox live or psn: none

Post by DarthDio »

Hey everyone , I'm glad I found this thread (still have to use a proxy to access the site though , I wish the admins could do something about it , if they can.)

So , lot's of craziness occured because of this leak on the internet. I came here mostly to say that , if someone's going to make miracles with this build , it's you guys.
I wish I could help as well but frankly idk much about coding or programming but I hope there's something I can do to help out

I'd honestly give anything to get my hands on the latest PC build of Battlefront 3 (as of Early 2009).
If that build got leaked , we would have an almost finished game now although I don't expect it to get leaked anytime soon but like Teancum said:
"If someone wants something to leak, they'll leak it. Until then no amount of wanting will make it happen."
but if you ask me I think CorraAssu is just lying , he has no actual proof , he probably knows as much as I do about the game and I've been following it since the 2009 leaked trailer!
Also , the models he shared seem very unfinished and remind me of the pre-alpha build models.

So moving on , porting models or even stages into SWBF2 would be fantastic , if you're like me , you've probably got bored of the new Battlefront game so I don't care how long it'll take but I think you guys could make a "playable" PC version faster than you think!

Unless of course the Alpha (2009) Build gets leak at the same time. That would be a dream come true.
Either way , I'll be following this thread closely. Still didn't get the chance to download the files myself but maybe I should check Piratebay too...

Cheers.
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

I can't believe I say this but I guess it is impossible to port the leaked maps into Battlefront II. It's not because of the models, the poly-counts, animations etc. If there was a really large and professional Mod Team, having experience in Modding Games for years and not only Battlefront II, the time and will to at least convert as many maps as possible; maybe even to create a completely new game. But both Battlefront II and III are completely different Games. Different Engines. Different Map Layout's. I would love to see a Coruscant Version similair to the leaked Alpha Video I saw. There were the platforms, buildings, spaceships and space itself at all. Space-Ground combined maps are possible, but making a smooth transition like in the video I mentioned above will probably never be possible with Zero Engine.
What I actually want to say is, even if we are able to convert the maps, the sides (units, heroes, vehicles, weapons and more..) it would look not like in Battlefront III. But I hope I am wrong since Zero Engine is good enough to make professional looking maps (during 2008-9; maybe more, but limited!) and I am just talking about the 2005 Engine.
A possible plan to convert the maps or maybe even the entire game (From what we have; if the files can be converted of course):
Example-Coruscant:

Map Team:
-Converting the Models (Map, Ground, Props and Buildings).
-Merging, poly-reducing, scaling, converting them to .msh in XSI.
-Placing them in Zero-Editor.
-Making this map playable (e.g. Paths, Command Posts (all that stuff you need for Conquest)).
-Converting Effects.

Sound Team:
-Converting and Adding all Ambient Sounds, effects and streams EXCEPT of Voices and Cutscenes.
-Adding Custom Sound Effects and Streams.

Sides Team:
-Converting the Player Models+Weapons, Vehicles+Turrets into Battlefront II format.
-Creating all necessary Side Files (e.g. odf's, option files, combo's....)

Shell Team:
-Recreating the HUD using converted parts from the HUD.
-Recreating the Main Menu Files.

Scripting Team:
-Adding functions for each map.
-Creating a campaign through the entire project.
-Need to do all that .lua and addme stuff.

Language Team:
-Localizing this project into various languages.

PR Team:
-It's important to make people know about this. This would not be just a mod. We are talking about a full recreation of a game. About a game nearly every Star Wars Gamer ever wants.

I have probably forgotten many things but to get at least one map working with all that stuff in and out a team would be required.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

thelegend wrote:A possible plan to convert the maps or maybe even the entire game (From what we have; if the files can be converted of course):
Example-Coruscant:

Map Team:
-Converting the Models (Map, Ground, Props and Buildings).
-Merging, poly-reducing, scaling, converting them to .msh in XSI.
-Placing them in Zero-Editor.
-Making this map playable (e.g. Paths, Command Posts (all that stuff you need for Conquest)).
-Converting Effects.

Sound Team:
-Converting and Adding all Ambient Sounds, effects and streams EXCEPT of Voices and Cutscenes.
-Adding Custom Sound Effects and Streams.

Sides Team:
-Converting the Player Models+Weapons, Vehicles+Turrets into Battlefront II format.
-Creating all necessary Side Files (e.g. odf's, option files, combo's....)

Shell Team:
-Recreating the HUD using converted parts from the HUD.
-Recreating the Main Menu Files.

Scripting Team:
-Adding functions for each map.
-Creating a campaign through the entire project.
-Need to do all that .lua and addme stuff.

Language Team:
-Localizing this project into various languages.

PR Team:
-It's important to make people know about this. This would not be just a mod. We are talking about a full recreation of a game. About a game nearly every Star Wars Gamer ever wants.
Say we assumed it were possible:
  • If Corra_Ashu divulged how he got the models extracted that would make a big difference. It looks like some maps are all 3D models, while others are a mix of models and terrain. That would speed everything up if we had source models. Let's be honest though, we don't even have 1/3 of the models that have already been released ported to SWBF2. We don't have enough interested people. Polycounts wouldn't be a big deal though, these aren't as detailed as you might think. This right here is the bottleneck of the whole thing.
  • Having played it now, you can outright ignore sound design. It's VERY incomplete, 95% of the VO doesn't work, and weapon/vehicle/pain sounds are terrible in this build. Writing all-new sound design using existing SWBF stuff would be mounds better.
  • Many SWBF2 community player/vehicle models are just as good. Frankly if it already exists in SWBF1/SWBF2 converting it should be low priority. No point in converting all this stuff early on when the maps aren't even done. It'd be nothing more than an "HD" set of models, and even that's kind of a joke as the Zero engine doesn't really do "HD" with it's basic lighting, shaders, and shadows.
  • Why do we need a new shell? The existing SWBF2 shell is great, and frankly we just want the gameplay. Seems superfluous.
  • LUA can do pretty much everything I've seen thus far with ease, and we have plenty of talented people that can do that. This aspect would be the easiest.
  • Localization -- not much to say on that, but it's definitely important.
  • It's a VERY bad idea to promote this as "more than just a mod". It crosses the line between fandom and competing with existing games. It's already tense enough that this was leaked. Best to just release it as an addon for SWBF1/SWBF2, and nothing more.
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

Teancum wrote:
Say we assumed it were possible:
  • If Corra_Ashu divulged how he got the models extracted that would make a big difference. It looks like some maps are all 3D models, while others are a mix of models and terrain. That would speed everything up if we had source models. Let's be honest though, we don't even have 1/3 of the models that have already been released ported to SWBF2. We don't have enough interested people. Polycounts wouldn't be a big deal though, these aren't as detailed as you might think. This right here is the bottleneck of the whole thing.
  • Having played it now, you can outright ignore sound design. It's VERY incomplete, 95% of the VO doesn't work, and weapon/vehicle/pain sounds are terrible in this build. Writing all-new sound design using existing SWBF stuff would be mounds better.
  • Many SWBF2 community player/vehicle models are just as good. Frankly if it already exists in SWBF1/SWBF2 converting it should be low priority. No point in converting all this stuff early on when the maps aren't even done. It'd be nothing more than an "HD" set of models, and even that's kind of a joke as the Zero engine doesn't really do "HD" with it's basic lighting, shaders, and shadows.
  • Why do we need a new shell? The existing SWBF2 shell is great, and frankly we just want the gameplay. Seems superfluous.
  • LUA can do pretty much everything I've seen thus far with ease, and we have plenty of talented people that can do that. This aspect would be the easiest.
  • Localization -- not much to say on that, but it's definitely important.
  • It's a VERY bad idea to promote this as "more than just a mod". It crosses the line between fandom and competing with existing games. It's already tense enough that this was leaked. Best to just release it as an addon for SWBF1/SWBF2, and nothing more.
So, the actual most important things is to get the maps, or at least one map running (as a test).
Teancum wrote:It's a VERY bad idea to promote this as "more than just a mod".
I was porbably not clear enough. What I actually throught war: If the mass of Star Wars fans (Who play Star Wars Games) heard or saw this then they might think that. You're right. But the difference between a mod which is mostly custom made and an addon, which is mostly made of licensed contents.
There's something I still don't know. If this game has been released, and if it was possible to get in-game files (like models or textures) then it might not be legal to use them in public Battlefront II mods (regarding to the Rules; unless the company said, they can be used in mods).

But what about cancelled Games? Are the licenses about the conents also gone like the release of that certain game?

If I was interested in making a project like this, then I would use the following from the cancelled game:
-Map Models
-Side Models (At least some units, weapons and characters)

Vanilla Contents (From Battlefront II):
-Voices (and Cutscenes)
-Animations*
-Sounds*

Custom Contents:
-Custom Animations*
-Custom Sounds*
-Models
-Vehicles and Units
Teancum wrote:Having played it now, you can outright ignore sound design. It's VERY incomplete, 95% of the VO doesn't work, and weapon/vehicle/pain sounds are terrible in this build. Writing all-new sound design using existing SWBF stuff would be mounds better.
You played the Build? Besides the Sound Design and other issues was it fun to play? If you played some maps do you think some of them might work for Battlefront II?
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

I'm assuming there were texture and model issues too. The videos show the FPS models clipping the environment and the texture streaming code wasn't finished apparently.

How many of the maps are similar to Elite Squadron? From what I saw, Coruscant was quite similar though they made a ton of changes to one end of the map in ES (basically making it a mirror of the opposing end of the map). Mustafar and Hoth looked quite different aside from similar object placements in some places (IE the shield generator right opposite the hangar bay). I'm also going to guess that not every map that was in ES got one in SWBFIII (Vjun?)
Last edited by giftheck on Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

thelegend wrote:But what about cancelled Games? Are the licenses about the conents also gone like the release of that certain game?
The rights to these assets were owned by LucasArts and Free Radical. Since Free Radical went under and Disney bought LucasArts, technically that makes Disney the owner of this build and all its contents.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

Sounds for me like a new project of the size from conversion.
I don't think there are enough modders left. Actually we would need a lot of modders like DarthDUCK, AQT, Mav, Zerted, kinetesimpetus,.... with a lot of time.

@legend:
But if you could get a big team working with git all together on this project, that would be awesome!!
But not too much. Split the project. Some working on units, maps, scripting, HUD,....
Start planning and get a team!!
thelegend
Sith
Sith

Post by thelegend »

I am not really planning. I just made some suggestions how a team might be build up. Most people here are working on their own projects. I think If building up a team was possible, then most, and me included, would work on this as a "side project".

But first it is important to get at least Models and Textures from the archieved files we have. This could take a while. This would be the most important thing. But more important things are information. We need information how the maps were placed in their Map Editors. It's like to try to re-create a map from Battlefront II using files like .wld, .lyr...Position, Rotation and maybe some other interesting things are needed. Or we would need to test and play around with the buildings/grounds for hours. But yeah...Models and Textures are the most important things to at least recreate a basic's map layout from this game. Making the Models look better (Specular, Bump, Normal, Env, Glow, Scroll....) for Battlefront II would be up to those, who want to convert the maps.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

Well, we are in a place where converting the game is all but impossible and using the assets, we couldn't make a huge difference to BF2. May I propose. . .

Conversion Pack: 3.0?
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

The cutscene audio correlates with the DS version of Elite Squadron pretty much word-for-word - pity it's not all there (I was hoping for a full version of the "Stick to the plan, Kenobi" piece to explain what that meant) They did use some of the voice clips in the PSP version's cutscenes, though.

Objects can apparently be converted with "hex2obj". We have yet to figure out the textures though surely x2t is a XBox360 texture format. Perhaps a clue lies in previous converted models from XBox360 games.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

thelegend wrote:
Teancum wrote:Having played it now, you can outright ignore sound design. It's VERY incomplete, 95% of the VO doesn't work, and weapon/vehicle/pain sounds are terrible in this build. Writing all-new sound design using existing SWBF stuff would be mounds better.
You played the Build? Besides the Sound Design and other issues was it fun to play? If you played some maps do you think some of them might work for Battlefront II?
It's more like I could see the potential of how fun it could be. Most maps the AI didn't work, the framerate was horrible (usually under 20fps), and textures were muddy. To be fair this build was probably so early on the 360 that not even the publisher saw it. Later builds were probably more presentable. Still, I love to tinker, and so it was fun for me.

There's been a lot of progress on extracting the files at THIS URL. I'm hopeful most models can be extracted. If that can be figured out and then we really just need to figure out terrain. Once all those are in some widely readable format we can totally convert maps. I was helping ggtuck to convert the PSP maps using what equates to 3D captures using an emulator, but if we can do these then there's no need.

The great news is that most everything in this build would fit pretty well into SWBF2. I can't say for all character models, but most heroes have LODs, which means we can use a lower LOD with the hires texture and get a model that looks snazzy in SWBF2.

****EDIT****
So TextureFinder 2.1 has no idea what x2t is. I couldn't get anything recognizable scanning.
Spiret wrote:
TheMastermindOfMaom wrote:You downloaded the PC build?
I spoke with BananaSwag in Skype, he said that CorraAshu has Xbox 360 build.

[18:00:22] BananaSwag: Lots of people have that alpha
Not sure he's right. In Corra's image set on FacePunch there's a clear editor-style image. Dunno if it's PC, but I don't see anything to bring something like that up in the 360 build I have. You can see his screenshots HERE, but here are a few direct images.
Hidden/Spoiler:
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Probably not going to make a blind bit of difference but you don't know unless you try. I started a petition for this to be officially finished and released to PSN, XBL and steam.

https://www.change.org/p/electronic-art ... sn-and-xbl
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

If anything, I personally think the original project should be canned and started over from scratch, with the new project adopting the core mechanics and concepts (such as ground-to-space) from the original project.