Graphics Card hates Battlefront 2

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Graphics Card hates Battlefront 2

Post by jedimoose32 »

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue here, and maybe found a solution... *crosses fingers*.

I recently had to warranty RMA my graphics card (AMD Radeon R9 280X). I got a brand new card of the same type from the manufacturer a couple weeks later and it works great for everything.... except of course Star Wars Battlefront II. I get missing textures and some very strange colours and textures z-fighting even on stock maps. The game is playable but this won't be suitable for modding. This never happened with the previous card (again, exactly the same kind of card).

When I disable the device in Device Manager the problem disappears but I go from 60+ FPS to about 20 FPS in-game. My graphics drivers are up-to-date, though I really do wish that was the problem because that would be a simple fix.
Has anyone else encountered this? Any solutions? I'd rather not have to start modding on my laptop...

My specs:

Code: Select all

ASUS A88X Pro
AMD A10-7850K @ 4.1GHz
8GB DDR3 Memory
128GB SSD + 1TB HDD @ 5400RPM
XFX Radeon R9 280X
750W PSU
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Re: Graphics Card hates Battlefront 2

Post by Noobasaurus »

Have you tried going to the AMD control panel and adding SWBF2 under Gaming/3D Application Settings and adjusting the settings? Something there might help.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

Yeah I've got a profile in there and I've set everything to "use application settings". So far no luck. I'll keep playing around.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

I never had such a problem (i have a gtx 970). But i had some problems with Age of Empires 2 (very old game) under my XP PC there was the land always red instead of green on the minimap. A fix was to disable "hardware speed-up".

I don't know, but maybe it will fix your problem, too.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

I had a look in the DirectX diagnostic tool and there doesn't seem to be a way to disable hardware acceleration in Windows 8.1. I do remember having the problem you're talking about with Age of Empires though and I'm glad they came out with the HD edition on Steam. :)
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Had the same problem about a month ago with my AMD Radeon HD 7850. Apparently it's a recent driver issue, so having the latest driver is actually what's causing the problem, it's not the solution. Marvel4's got the solution in my post here: http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=31837

He's also got a link to AMD's feedback page where you can tell them about the issue. Please do. If we complain about it loud enough, they'll fix it.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

I will definitely let AMD know, and I'll download that driver version as soon as I get home. Thanks for the help!
Edit: YES! It works, thank you so much!