Amazon Lumberyard Game Engine

How To's, Questions, and Solutions for problems. This covers anything from computer hardware problems to software recommendations to tutorials for various software programs.

Note: Neither Gametoast nor any of its members/visitors are responsible for any damage to your computer as a result from advice given in this forum. Follow advice at your own risk and be sure to back up any important files.

Moderator: Moderators

jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Amazon Lumberyard Game Engine

Post by jedimoose32 »

So, Amazon announced the release of their own royalty-free game engine today called Lumberyard, which is based on the CryEngine. The source code is available but it's not exactly open-source.

Use of the engine is 100% free under the condition that any multiplayer functionality must be handled by Amazon Web Services, or your own proprietary server infrastructure if you happen to have one set up for yourself.
But you can create a single player game and sell it and make money and everything and Amazon doesn't take a single dollar from you.

I've downloaded the kit and will be playing with it over the next little while. Have others used it, or does anyone have any thoughts on the engine?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Amazon Lumberyard Game Engine

Post by Marth8880 »

Very interesting.

I wonder if it's just as undocumented and unfriendly towards non-open-world-shooters as CryEngine? :u