[Tool] Log evaluation v0.2

Releasing the source files for your mod or map? Post em' here. (Applies to both SWBF1 & SWBF2)

Moderator: Moderators

Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

[Tool] Log evaluation v0.2

Post by Anakin »

Hi,

i made a tool that can filter the BFront2.log file, so you can easily find the problem causing a crash.

Features:
- display for each Memorypool message the latest proposed value.
- remove all non message severity prints.
- sort messages by their severity.
- avoid duplicated messages.
- remove every message that contains a string from the ignore.list file.

The ignore.list file contains a first set of strings from messages you don't need. But it is not complete.
It's also possible that there may be a string that remove a message that causes a crash. So be carfull with
the ignore.list file and always keep in mind what that file remove from the log.

The tool search in the standard DVD and steam directory for the BFront2.log file.
All filenames and path can be set manuell with these parameter:

LogEvaluation.exe [/in logfile] [/ig ignorefile] [/out outputfile]
  • /in set the location of inputfile
  • /ig set the location of ignorefile
  • /out set the location of outputfile
Credits:
Gametoast community

Download
Last edited by Anakin on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: [Tool] Log evaluation v0.1

Post by AceMastermind »

This is cool thanks for sharing! :D

I'm getting this error while it runs:
Warning: no ignore.list found

Steps
Copied LogEvaluation.exe and ignore.list to:
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData

added 2 new rules specific to my log for testing.
then drag n dropped the BFront2.log on the LogEvaluation.exe.

I'm thinking you may need to let the user specify the location of the ignore.list file.

I was poking around the exe in a hex editor and noticed a hard coded location:
/VirtualStore/Program Files (x86)/LucasArts/Star Wars Battlefront II/GameData/BFront2.log
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

The warning is only if there is no ignore.file found, or if the program is not allowed to open it.

Try to run it as admin. I'm sure that will fix that error. Or put the tool and the ignore.file somewhere else. Download folder for example to test it.
There is no "hardcoded" path. It's more a kind of dynamic path. GenericDataLocation + /VirtualStore/Program Files (x86)/LucasArts/Star Wars Battlefront II/GameData/BFront2.log.

It's the default location where the tool search for the file if you don't give the file explicit to the tool.
You can give it by drag and drop, or with the console:
LogEvaluation.exe "C:/Path/to/file/BFront2.log"

ignore.list will always be searched in the executable path. If it cannot be opened (no rule or not exist) there will be that warning.

I'll add the ability to give the path to ignore manuell. Where is the default Steam version log file?? That way i can search in both directories.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

Not working man, I gave you the path and repro steps in my previous post, there is no way the .list file can't be found since it is right next to the exe (and yes, i added a couple new rules). Anyway, don't worry about it, its probably because i'm not using the latest operating system. :)
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Re: [Tool] Log evaluation v0.2

Post by Anakin »

Ok i updated the link. You can now set all path manuell and if the log is not found in the DVD default path, it will try to find it at the steam path.

I hope it works this time for you. I have no problems.

please don't try to crash the tool with modified logs. It's not foolproof. With the right strings you can crash the tool ;)
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

Hidden/Spoiler:
[code]C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/Star Wars Battlefront II/GameData/LogEvaluation.exe
LogEvaluation v0.2
Anakin
gametoast.com

standard log location not found, set steam path..

Warning: unknown argument

arguments are:
LogEvaluation.exe [/in logfile] [/ig ignorefile] [/out outputfile]
/in set the location of inputfile
/ig set the location of ignorefile
/out set the location of outputfile

Error: cannot open ignore file - press ENTER to exit..[/code]
All files were in the GameData folder.
It just doesn't see the list file, no worries though, it likely works for others.
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

This is a really great tool. Everything works just fine. I found Error Messages I didn't even know they existed before. Thank you for making this, Anakin!
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

Glad to see i'm not the only one were the tool works :D

@Ace: What arguments have you used?? the output says there was an unknown parameter. If you use these args:

LogEvaluation /ig C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Star Wars Battlefront II\GameData\ignore.list

The ignore file will be set to "C:\Program", the next arguments are "Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Star", "Wars", "Battlefront II\GameData\ignore.list"

Try to put the exe and ignore.list somewhere else and use no parameter. The log should be found automatically.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

There was no argument, that error was from a drag n drop, and it didn't work from the drive root location either.
Okay, drag n drop doesn't work for me no matter where everything is, but using the commandline does, guess i'll make a batch file and run it from GameData. :)

Code: Select all

LogEvaluation.exe /in BFront2.log /ig ignore.list /out error.log
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

Drag and drop doesn't work with v0.2 anymore. Because there need to be /in before the filepath and drag and drop only pass the path to the exe.

But if you don't want to rename the output file, you can put the exe in the gamedata folder and simply run with double klick. Everything should be found automatically. If not, try right klick>run as admin.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

Well drag n drop didn't work in either version for me, and double click only works for the second version, command line works too. All is good. :D

EDIT
I'm trying to stay out of GameData, this is what i'm using in a bat file there with a Desktop shortcut:

LogEvaluation.exe /in BFront2.log /ig ignore.list /out "C:\Documents and Settings\AceMastermind\Desktop\BFront2.log"
When I figure out how to close that command window without pressing Enter i'll add it to the bat file. :)
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

AceMastermind wrote:Well drag n drop didn't work in either version for me, and double click only works for the second version, command line works too. All is good. :D

EDIT
I'm trying to stay out of GameData, this is what i'm using in a bat file there with a Desktop shortcut:

LogEvaluation.exe /in BFront2.log /ig ignore.list /out "C:\Documents and Settings\AceMastermind\Desktop\BFront2.log"
When I figure out how to close that command window without pressing Enter i'll add it to the bat file. :)
Glad to see, that it is working for you now :D

Here is an example, how to send keys:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1703 ... batch-file

btw you don't need "/in BFront2.log" if the BFront2.log is in the default DVD or steam install path and you don't need "/ig ignore.list" since it is default value ;)