The MOD/MAP Idea thread

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

xezene
Private Second Class
Projects :: NJO
Games I'm Playing :: BF2

Re: The MOD/MAP Idea thread

Post by xezene »

MissingTexture wrote:
ggctuk wrote:What with the Scarif map now in SWBFEA, and it having certain... shortcomings, I'd love to see a Scarif map in SWBF2 with the ideas done right: seamless ground-to-space (destructible capital ships with the Rebels actually having to start from orbit and disable the planetary shield before they can get down to the surface), fully pilotable AT-ACTs, U-Wings and TIE Strikers etc.
I was thinking the exact same thing earlier today at work, would love to help and see this done! :)
I third this! Would be a truly great mod.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

I was reading through the Star Wars Complete Locations book and I had an idea: we have never seen the Processing Vane on any Bespin map in the franchise so far. As it turns out, the Carbon Freezing Chamber is located inside that Processing Vane. The EA Bespin Carbon Freezing Chambers map does the chambers and corridors but not the Vane itself (though you can get to the control room where Luke is blown out of the window). I'd love to see a map of it.
BF2-Master
Captain
Captain

Post by BF2-Master »

I have faith a Scarif map will be completed in time. It'd definitely be cool to see more takes on the newer planets.

I'm not capable of mapping right now, but I'd love to see a Lothal sometime. That's a planet that could offer one really diverse map or a few separate ones.
Gogie
Modeling Master
Modeling Master
Projects :: Tinkering away with LEGO

Post by Gogie »

xezene wrote:
MissingTexture wrote:
ggctuk wrote:What with the Scarif map now in SWBFEA, and it having certain... shortcomings, I'd love to see a Scarif map in SWBF2 with the ideas done right: seamless ground-to-space (destructible capital ships with the Rebels actually having to start from orbit and disable the planetary shield before they can get down to the surface), fully pilotable AT-ACTs, U-Wings and TIE Strikers etc.
I was thinking the exact same thing earlier today at work, would love to help and see this done! :)
I third this! Would be a truly great mod.
The problem with this though is battlefronts limitations the amount of water/ trees required to make a "seamless" ground to space map out of scarif while still having the map look visually appealing will cause crashes... Sad to say a ground to space scarif is just not possible while maintaining a good graphic standard... At least not if we are looking to work on the "short comings" of swbfea
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

Gogie wrote:The problem with this though is battlefronts limitations the amount of water/ trees required to make a "seamless" ground to space map out of scarif while still having the map look visually appealing will cause crashes... Sad to say a ground to space scarif is just not possible while maintaining a good graphic standard... At least not if we are looking to work on the "short comings" of swbfea
I would say...I am aware of most of the limitations (And even discovered some which were not discussed here or anywhere else) so just send me a PM and name me any kind of limitation regarding a good looking Scarif map and maybe I can give you some advise how to surpass those limits.
ZoomV
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Projects :: Old Republic Map pack
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 SWTOR and GW2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by ZoomV »

Hidden/Spoiler:
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Just a thought and I am a little surprised that nobody has thought of this yet, but...

How about building a clone game engine for SWBF/SWBF2? I've seen programmers working on one for another game and it's obvious that we'll never get the source code for either SWBF or SWBF2. It would, of course, require a talented programmer or a group of them, and a lot of time. As for any potential issues rising from legality, what would be presented is the engine: you would require SWBF/SWBF2 to be able to use it as it would still read the LVL files (you would place it in your SWBF/SWBF2 executable's directory and define which game you are running from INI file, which we can also use to manually alter things like control schemes, addon folder location etc)

The advantages are clear to me: full control over the engine, including memory pools, removal of limits etc, new features we have not ever had in the PC version such as the console unit selection screen, integrting new features not already possible in Battlefront, enabling bug fixes... the list goes on. I can remember psych0fred suggesting that we move Battlefront into a newer engine but it has become clear just moving it into Unity or Unreal, which would require full format reconversion, would most likely draw EA's ire. Creating an engine that requires you to own a copy of the game already that reads the native formats of SWBF would be a way around that, I think.

So there's my idea. Don't know if we have any programmers who would be willing to put in that kind of work though: after all, SWBF2 is quite a versatile game engine already, it's just a bit outdated and not as featureful as it could be.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

@ggctuk: Technically possible but extremely, extremely difficult and not viable for anyone without an extensive software engineering background.
Warregory
Private Second Class
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: BF2

Post by Warregory »

I'm pretty sure that someone has already suggested an idea such as mine. I'd be incredibly surprised if it weren't.

But how about a mod based around the Star Wars: Rebels animated TV show? I'd love to see someone tackle something like Lothal in BF2; flying around on speederbikes through the city, or battling in the plains. Or maybe one could craft a mod like Bantha55's maps and just include absolutely everything.

A Space map based on Rebels would be cool. I'd love to be able to fly Phoenix A-wings around a fleet of Hammerheads and various other blockade runners. The Quasar could be cool too as it wouldn't make sense to have a standard MonCala capital ship. Perhaps you could do what the amazing Dark Times 2 does and have space heroes, with their own ships.
Isaac1138
Corporal
Corporal
Games I'm Playing :: BF1+2 stronghold

Post by Isaac1138 »

ggctuk wrote:I was reading through the Star Wars Complete Locations book and I had an idea: we have never seen the Processing Vane on any Bespin map in the franchise so far. As it turns out, the Carbon Freezing Chamber is located inside that Processing Vane. The EA Bespin Carbon Freezing Chambers map does the chambers and corridors but not the Vane itself (though you can get to the control room where Luke is blown out of the window). I'd love to see a map of it.
can you provide pictures of what it looks like?
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Isaac1138 wrote:
ggctuk wrote:I was reading through the Star Wars Complete Locations book and I had an idea: we have never seen the Processing Vane on any Bespin map in the franchise so far. As it turns out, the Carbon Freezing Chamber is located inside that Processing Vane. The EA Bespin Carbon Freezing Chambers map does the chambers and corridors but not the Vane itself (though you can get to the control room where Luke is blown out of the window). I'd love to see a map of it.
can you provide pictures of what it looks like?
Here's the page from the book, though this is not my scan:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Isaac1138
Corporal
Corporal
Games I'm Playing :: BF1+2 stronghold

Post by Isaac1138 »

Offtopic:
I have that book too, I've had it for ten years now.
41DarthVader31

Post by 41DarthVader31 »

I would like to pitch an Idea for a Mod called The Electronic Arts Mod.

This mod will be designed to be more like its Modern Predecessor, Star Wars: Battlefront by DICE and EA, by making some small changes and some bigger Changes. Some Changes will be the way the Camera Works, and the HUD and UI, the way Heroes work, and New Game modes and Maps. The Camera will only change for Heroes, as instead of a direct behind view, you have the Hero/Villan to the Left Close Up. The HUD will be completely redone to look and feel more like its modern day reboot, and also have the 3D Models of the Stormtrooper/Clone Trooper in the background. For the Heroes, there are Some who will be Redone, for Example, Darth Vader, who will Play less buggier and more like their Modern Counterparts, removing some things, and changing, redoing, and adding others. The Gamemodes will be the The Same as the Modern ones, but if possible, the Old ones will not be Removed. The Modern Ones will have the Same Maps, only Bigger, and the Game modes will function EXACTLY the same as the Newer Ones. For example, Heroes VS Villians. There will be 3 Random People given the choice between A Normal Player, or a Hero/Villian. Other than Heroes, there are 12 others, making 15 Players a Match. This is my mod idea and if you want to ask questions Feel free to add me on Steam.
lpriefer01
Recruit Womprat Killer
Games I'm Playing :: battlefront 2

Post by lpriefer01 »

delta578 wrote:What about a Starship Troopers mod? I don't believe anyone has done that yet.
how about power rangers LOST GALAXY BAD GUYS WOULD BE GEONOSIANS reskined to be more of a back tint to them, location park or jungle
good guys would b like star ship troopers or at least same models as in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0EqjFCPFdY hero mace windu reskind in Image or as Image
(in stead of force push he could have punch using the grenade throwing animation)if its not too difficult) lightsaber should become green or prefferably a sword more specifically quasar saber

villan (hero for the VILLANS ) trekkena Image weapon electro staff like grievous' guards use
RedHardcore
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal
Games I'm Playing :: StarWarsBattlefront2

Remastered Dream SWBF Client

Post by RedHardcore »

A remastered launcher that emulates both SWBF1 and 2 maps and mods, increases the allowed number of missions from 500 to 10000, the main menu is optimized for 1920 x 1080 computers and lower with 4k support, has a search function when selecting maps in instant action by clicking the search bar or using Ctrl+F, has a toggle to show both SWBF1 and 2 maps or to just show one or the other, has the 1.3 patch infused in for SWBF2 maps, has a toggle to disable/enable reward effects for SWBF2 maps, is able to withtake extremely heavy production maps that would not normally run on the normal launchers (e.g. a space maps with 10 imperial star destroyers), and has a much increased vehicle/turret/unit/etc. limit.
Battlefront2FanonPC
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2

Post by Battlefront2FanonPC »

I have two ideas for crossover mods for Star Wars Battlefront 2.

The first one is a Halo vs. Starship Troopers mod. The classes on the Halo side are not only the Soldier and Long Range Sniper classes from HaloFront, but also two new classes, as well. The first new class to be added to the Halo side is a Rocketeer/Rocket Soldier, whose primary weapon is a rocket launcher, with the Magnum pistol as a secondary weapon. The second is a Railgunner, whose primary weapon is the Railgun from the 343 Halo games, and he also gets the Magnum pistol as a secondary weapon. The Halo side's playable hero could be Sergeant Forge from Halo Wars, with a Shotgun as his primary weapon, the Magnum pistol as a secondary weapon, some frag grenades and the Rally ability that the Clone Commander uses. On the Starship Troopers side are the same Roughneck soldiers from the Whiskey Outpost mod, as well as Johnny Rico from the Starship Troopers movie as a playable hero with the assault rifle from the Whiskey Outpost mod (Under-barrel shotgun included) and a health and ammo dispenser to help out teammates. You could have Halo multiplayer maps like Halo 3's High Ground map and Whiskey Outpost as maps on which both sides will do battle on. You can include at least one multiplayer map from Halo 4, like Exile, but you don't have to if you don't want to.

The second one is a version of Hero Assault that replaces the heroes with Widowmaker (her weapon is a sniper rifle/assault rifle hyrbid), Soldier:76 (his weapon is an assault rifle with built-in rockets), Genji (his weapons are his sword and his shurikens), Pharah (her weapon is a rocket launcher and she is also equipped with a jetpack), and McCree (his weapon is a revolver) from Overwatch and the villains get replaced with Oscar Mike (his weapon is an assault rifle with an under-barrel grenade launcher and he has a cloaking device, like the Bothan Spy), Reyna (her weapons are her laser pistol and her Plasma Pulse gauntlet), Rath (his weapons are only his swords) and Benedict (his weapon is a rocket launcher and he can fly with his wings) from Battleborn. Various maps from both Overwatch and Battleborn could be implemented, as well.

You can take either of these two mod ideas into consideration and turn one of them into a reality, and if you do so, please let me know that you are doing so and why. If not, just tell me why you would discard either mod idea in the first place. Thank you.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Re: Remastered Dream SWBF Client

Post by giftheck »

RedHardcore wrote:A remastered launcher that emulates both SWBF1 and 2 maps and mods, increases the allowed number of missions from 500 to 10000, the main menu is optimized for 1920 x 1080 computers and lower with 4k support, has a search function when selecting maps in instant action by clicking the search bar or using Ctrl+F, has a toggle to show both SWBF1 and 2 maps or to just show one or the other, has the 1.3 patch infused in for SWBF2 maps, has a toggle to disable/enable reward effects for SWBF2 maps, is able to withtake extremely heavy production maps that would not normally run on the normal launchers (e.g. a space maps with 10 imperial star destroyers), and has a much increased vehicle/turret/unit/etc. limit.
Sounds a lot like something you might either need source code or a clone engine for.
Lambda1945
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: Separating voiceover files in BFII

Post by Lambda1945 »

Since it appears that no one has attempted making a map like this before, I've decided to leave this idea here for the community.

I was playing space assault with extra reinforcements, and destroying the insides of both the Republic and CIS battleships when it occurred to me that there hasn't been a map that takes place inside a crippled capital ship.

In fact, there hasn't been an interior map of either CW era capital ships, much less malfunctioning ones with red lights, alarms, fires, etc.

I remember there was an episode in the first season of TCW where Aayla Secura's fleet is falling out of the sky. Perhaps that could provide some basis for this.
Hidden/Spoiler:
As for a map based on a CIS capital ship, I think a Lucrehulk/Trade Federation Battleship would be a sufficient location.

There was a map for JK3 based on the Droid Control Ship from TPM that could serve as a guide.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Droid Control Ship Map link:

[https://jkhub.org/files/file/437-trade- ... trol-ship/]

If someone's feeling ambitious, they could put both capital ships in the same map with enemy transports in their hangers to serve as spawn points.

I feel that there's enough potential here for a great map.
RevanSithLord
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Designated Days + LFC + GT vs SWBFC
Games I'm Playing :: FO3 + FO New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Master Revan

Post by RevanSithLord »

That idea for the Lucrehulk battle is a good one. I was actually planning on a Space Naboo map from Episode 1. I wanted a map focusing on N1's and Vultures, but I don't know where I'd want the NSF to spawn. And a battle inside would be nice too.

Any new space maps are welcome. I might attempt this after I am done with my current map. :)
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

RevanSithLord wrote:That idea for the Lucrehulk battle is a good one. I was actually planning on a Space Naboo map from Episode 1. I wanted a map focusing on N1's and Vultures, but I don't know where I'd want the NSF to spawn. And a battle inside would be nice too.

Any new space maps are welcome. I might attempt this after I am done with my current map. :)
Before this would have been unthinkable but now it is doable to have it so that there is a seamless ground-to-space map with only the Trade Federation Droid Control Ship in space, and the Naboo pilots starting on the ground.