Would the modder community be down for this?

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

TriniGamer
Private
Projects :: Scarif but for Battlefront 2
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront II
xbox live or psn: Carib50 (PSN)

Would the modder community be down for this?

Post by TriniGamer »

A massive project to basically outright 'remaster' BF2 into what EA's should've been. First person reload animations, 2K textures for items and 4k for terrains, new effects, new textures for characters, potentially smoothened models and such. I think I've learned enough to do my part in a mod this big however I doubt I could do this alone. All the base maps and stuff kept the same with a few improvements potentially, however everything is just 'remastered' to go along with the ReShade mod. Is anyone down for a project this big? Like I said I doubt I could do all of this alone but with enough help I think it's possible - I know me and many others just want to see a super HD Battlefront II. If you're interested or can contribute in any way please let me know, I would love to start this project in my 2 weeks off. It's currently more of an ambition or a dream but I think with enough it could work!
SkinnyODST
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Would the modder community be down for this?

Post by SkinnyODST »

Now that is a top idea. But uhh yeah my computer is a potato so I don`t think I could do much. Are you planning for the skins of the units to be the same or change them?
Gogie
Modeling Master
Modeling Master
Projects :: Tinkering away with LEGO

Post by Gogie »

Because I have a number of planned projects I won't be able to join in on this explicitly but I'll donate any of my assets that you need for the project from any of my current and future projects.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

I even don't have time for my current project swbf 3 legacy. But i'll support you as much as I can here in the forum if you have any questions or problems.
TriniGamer
Private

Post by TriniGamer »

SkinnyODST wrote:Now that is a top idea. But uhh yeah my computer is a potato so I don`t think I could do much. Are you planning for the skins of the units to be the same or change them?
If possible give them higher quality textures or a far fetched idea - model upgrades. I am currently trying to contact the guy who made the Force Awakens Era mod and the GCW era mod with some of EA's Battlefront Models and Textures to see if that could be of any help.
Gogie
Modeling Master
Modeling Master

Post by Gogie »

TriniGamer wrote:
If possible give them higher quality textures or a far fetched idea - model upgrades. I am currently trying to contact the guy who made the Force Awakens Era mod and the GCW era mod with some of EA's Battlefront Models and Textures to see if that could be of any help.
I would strongly recommend against using any models from an EA game... Read up on Galaxy in turmoil... EA doesn't have a very good track record of being supportive of fan made projects, and since they are close to releasing battlefront 2 I stronly recommend against doing anything that could draw any negative attention from them... The last thing we want is EA deciding to take action and cancel fan made projects for an older game especially since they are going to want all eyes on battlefront 2. Don't use their models... It's just a bad idea.
SkinnyODST
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by SkinnyODST »

Gogie wrote:
TriniGamer wrote:
I would strongly recommend against using any models from an EA game... Read up on Galaxy in turmoil... EA doesn't have a very good track record of being supportive of fan made projects, and since they are close to releasing battlefront 2 I stronly recommend against doing anything that could draw any negative attention from them... The last thing we want is EA deciding to take action and cancel fan made projects for an older game especially since they are going to want all eyes on battlefront 2. Don't use their models... It's just a bad idea.
They wouldn`t be able to cancel it would they? It`s just a mod for an already existing SW game. Galaxy in Turmoil was a full separate game so that`s why they cancelled it
Gogie
Modeling Master
Modeling Master

Post by Gogie »

SkinnyODST wrote:
Gogie wrote:
TriniGamer wrote:
They wouldn`t be able to cancel it would they? It`s just a mod for an already existing SW game. Galaxy in Turmoil was a full separate game so that`s why they cancelled it
Hypothetically they could; cease and desist orders can be issued for anything especially non open source ripped assets from their game. They also bought pandemic studios and have the capability to take bf off any distribution sites. They have an agreement with Disney for exclusive rights to all Star Wars games... Seriously, guys just for the sake of everybody do not use their models... Or any of their assets... Like that's actually just asking for problems
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

This opportunity should probably also be used to fix bugs and issues related to gameplay and visuals that are present in the stock game. And there would be more freedom to accomplish all this if maintaining online compatibility (for users who won't be using this mod) is made a non-factor.
TriniGamer wrote:All the base maps and stuff kept the same with a few improvements potentially, however everything is just 'remastered' to go along with the ReShade mod.
Since all maps are planned to be edited majorly already, there shouldn't be a need to rely on something like a third party "reshade" or "graphics enhancer" mod. Instead, aspects of a map can be adjusted (e.g. lighting, range settings, environment effects, etc.), and material flag settings for models already supported by the game (but wasn't heavily utilized by Pandemic) should be taken advantage of so that the mod can stand visually on its own.
Gogie wrote:Seriously, guys just for the sake of everybody do not use their models... Or any of their assets... Like that's actually just asking for problems
And Gogie is right!
Delta-1035
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: TOR GCWII GCW1035 BF1035
xbox live or psn: Johnny_Sciroppo

Post by Delta-1035 »

TriniGamer wrote:I am currently trying to contact the guy who made the Force Awakens Era mod and the GCW era mod with some of EA's Battlefront Models and Textures to see if that could be of any help.
Is that me?
TriniGamer
Private

Post by TriniGamer »

Delta-1035 wrote:
TriniGamer wrote:I am currently trying to contact the guy who made the Force Awakens Era mod and the GCW era mod with some of EA's Battlefront Models and Textures to see if that could be of any help.
Is that me?

Ah yes, I was gonna message you. Is it true that you used Battlefront model rips? The models seem pretty detailed and high quality already.
Anakin wrote:I even don't have time for my current project swbf 3 legacy. But i'll support you as much as I can here in the forum if you have any questions or problems.

I noticed there were First Person reload animations in your mod which was interesting - I thought it was possible but had never seen it done. How did you do it?
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

there are only a few animations that can be done for fp those are rifle, bazooka, grenade, tool. That is really limited so you need to do animations that fit to all weapons of that group. For example if you play my first mod Republic Commando Side mod, the pistol is held infront of the body. But that causes the fusion cutter to be hold the same way. And the bazooka animation is used for the vibro attack. That's why the cis roketeer is forced to 3rd person.
You see that it is not that easy to completely change animations in fp. An other example: ACP shotgun should be held differently from other rifles. But it's ONLY ACP shotgun, so you need to take one of those animations and if you don't remove all rifles, or grenades or bazookas or tools, it's not possible.

The animation itself is done exactly the same way you do for 3rd person animation. The base animation can be found in the BF2_ModTools\assets\Animations\FirstPerson\humanfp folder. Sbd and droideka have different animations. I hoped it would be possible to lift the FP camera point for the sbd with the animation, but didn't get that working.
Delta-1035
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: TOR GCWII GCW1035 BF1035
xbox live or psn: Johnny_Sciroppo

Post by Delta-1035 »

TriniGamer wrote: Is it true that you used Battlefront model rips?
No, that's not true.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

TriniGamer wrote:Ah yes, I was gonna message you. Is it true that you used Battlefront model rips? The models seem pretty detailed and high quality already.
The models used in Delta's mod are not ripped directly from SWBFEA. A lot of the weapons are from Sereja's weapons pack, though the A280C is mine, heavily modified from the SWBF3 A280.