Endor Walker Assault WIP

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

GAB
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Endor Walker Assault WIP

Post by GAB »

Harrisonfog wrote:Image
:eek:
Warregory
Private Second Class
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: BF2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Warregory »

Harrisonfog wrote:So good to know, thank you AQT, fixing it right now. Screenies coming soon! :)

Edit: what do you think? better than the brownish terrain right?

Absolutely amazing work, Harrison. That looks beautiful.
Harrisonfog
Private
Projects :: Realistic Rezzed Maps _ HD Graphics Mod
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by Harrisonfog »

It's certainly possibly to change unit textures on a timer so ground textures shouldn't be different, a fade effect could probably work too. We need more levolution in battlefront.
Amen to that ATNate, I'd love to do that, perhaps in a new proyect with the assistance of an experienced modder! It takes so much time doing this with 0 knowledge... learning and planning the level at the same time, troubleshooting is quite a pain and absorbs a lot of time too. Luckily Gogie has been assisting me with many issues, otherwise I'd have quited a while ago hehe.
Btw check this short video I made! (hoverbike speeding between the trees yay!)

https://youtu.be/HCmQ2wh9e-I

(Have to fix sound, can't change it to end, and the bike sounds aren't working for an unknown reason) Btw, near the end after min 1:30 when I walk around the forest, you'll notice some fern clumps disappear before I run past them, I believe it has something to do with this in the prp file:
AIVisibilityFactor(0.7,1.0); --This are the only values I don't understand how they work. If possible I want them to fade once you don't see them in the screen.
Is this correct?
ARCTroopaNate
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront - Tides of War
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 RC EAW
xbox live or psn: I have ps4

Post by ARCTroopaNate »

AI Visibility is a value that decides how "hidden" soldiers are to the AI in the foliage, so if it was 0.0 then the AI would not notice soldiers in foliage. I think one of the values refers to how hidden soldiers are when crouched and the other how hidden they are when standing.
Harrisonfog
Private

Post by Harrisonfog »

Ok, so what can make the fern clump disappear like in the ending of the video? Perhaps there's too many. But that happens from a certain angle that's why I think it has to do with visibility (min 1:38, look at the fern in the middle of the screen behind character)
Gogie
Modeling Master
Modeling Master
Projects :: Tinkering away with LEGO

Post by Gogie »

Harrisonfog wrote:Ok, so what can make the fern clump disappear like in the ending of the video? Perhaps there's too many. But that happens from a certain angle that's why I think it has to do with visibility (min 1:38, look at the fern in the middle of the screen behind character)
There are a few reasons I could think of... I'm not too sure though

1.) frustum culling; if the root of the billboard is too close or behind the camera the game may be culling it (things are removed from out viewport before they actually "hit" the camera)

2.) particle count is exceeded; I'm not sure if this actually applies for model based foliage but I noticed as my grass patches on Scarif became higher in numbers particle effects seemed to disappear this suggests to me that bf2 takes the billboards created out of the particle count rather than the polygon limit.

3.) no lowrez mesh ... I'm not actually sure if mesh based foliage can use lowrez models but meh never hurts to throw this in... I'm not close enough to my computer to even check.

4) polygon limit exceeded; if your foliage is taking from the polygon limit you may notice it disappearing if it's close enough to the camera to give the more visible models to your camera priority (you can notice this as example by looking at high poly maps with ammo droids by moving your camera angle slightly around the ammo droid when it's beside or behind your character)
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Looking pretty good from a worldbuilding perspective, but what are your plans on incorporating level design into the mix? What I mean by this is stuff like player pathing, gameplay beats, intended experiences in certain gameplay areas, etc.
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

You sure this is your first map? For a first map that has just started there has been a lot of progress on this map in the past few days alone! I will continue checking in on this map since it does look promising!
Harrisonfog
Private

Post by Harrisonfog »

hehe yay thanks Mike! Yes, first map. I'm still learning and that's why I'm mainly working on default maps. I modded JKA (ages ago), so I know some basics to be honest :) ! Emm, and marth, no I probably won't change that I'd have to spend a whole day or more reading tuts, learning about it and trying it! even with the changes I'm making I think this will take a month or two. So, I don't think I'll complicate my life with this 1st map . :|
DarthDio
Private Third Class
Projects :: 2D Artist for Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: StarWars Battlefront
xbox live or psn: none

Post by DarthDio »

excuse my language but holy sh!t, this looks promising and welcome to Gametoast Harrisonfog.

If you need any help with photoshop/textures/skyboxes I'd be willing to help.
Harrisonfog
Private

Post by Harrisonfog »

Thanks DarthDio, I'd love some help with the skydome, I basically tweaked Endor skydome a little just to try it, if you can do something better, inspired in Endor sky I'd love to try it! Btw no news regarding this map, been bussy doing this Rezzed Mustafar map ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX9fB2A3ya8 / http://www.moddb.com/mods/realistic-map ... fog-rezzed ) I'll probably keep on with Endor this weekend so please DarthDio if you want to help go ahead! If you can make a better skydome for the map I'd be very thankful!
rodma
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront II

Post by rodma »

This looks amazing! Any news?
Harrisonfog
Private

Post by Harrisonfog »

I tried to replace the tunnels, and found that everything you place instead disappears. same thing in Echo Base. I need help with that... if anyone can help me solve this, go to Hoth, try replacing a tunnel for a different one... Everything you place instead in that underground section, disappears when you come close to it (the object IS there, but it becomes invisible).

edit: this is how the forest is looking btw
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/33 ... -34-36.png
ForceMaster
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Tron The Grid
Games I'm Playing :: The best..SWBFII

Post by ForceMaster »

Anakin wrote: Do you think of changing the atmosphere when the battle starts/halftime/end?? Because that looks like a really friendly forest. But when the battle is done it should be turned into something like this:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Harrisonfog wrote:I wish I knew how Anakin.... I wish I knew.
From my experience, this can be done with some scripting like this tut: http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18429
I the Battle of Teth map (If I remember right), The sky/light/fog change every 10 minutes or something like that, also i 've included a new set of skydomes for each .lvl file loaded trought the campaign. Maybe can change the texture set for these trees, I never test it but I unknow a reason for it don't work.

Hope help you. Keep up the amazing work :D
Harrisonfog
Private

Post by Harrisonfog »

Thanks guys but the tunnels issue is more urgent! I'm not going to add variable weather or w/e if a section of the map looks bugged! I seriously need help with that.
Lambda1945
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: Separating voiceover files in BFII

Post by Lambda1945 »

Map looks great so far! It's good to see new talent.

I read that this map was based off of hoth.

Maybe Echo Base could be changed into the inside of the Deathwatch bunker?

I'm excited to see how this turns out.
RaveYoda
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: MshViewer -- Collab with Anakin

Post by RaveYoda »

I'm new too but welcome and thanks for making a map!! =] I wish you the best of luck and if you want someone to provide input I'd be happy to.
Also, how did you fix the fog issue?

Update: I think I found it. It's in the .sky file as FogRange. Editing the 2nd value seems to have fixed the fog issue for me.
I just put it to 60,000. 8)
Ginev
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Remaking FR Battlefront 3 Tatooine map.
Games I'm Playing :: nothing for now

Post by Ginev »

There should be a fog folor value somewhere.You just need to change the numbers to 255 255 255 and the fog will dissapear.
Harrisonfog
Private

Post by Harrisonfog »

Hello again friends, I made a lot of progress on the map and I need help fixing the only bug that's stoping me from releasing it:
I removed the hangar, and placed the CP on top of the hill instead, so the rebels "have the high ground" haha. Moved the CP spawn region and paths too, but when I start the game, rebels spawn where the hangar was (there's nothing there so they fall into the abyss under terrain), I've been unable to fix this, it looks as if the spawning height was the issue but I also tried moving the cp to a different place and it didn't work either. Any thoughts?

Edit: Reply to ggctuk
Harrisonfog wrote:Moved the CP spawn region and paths too, but when I start the game, rebels spawn where the hangar was
I moved everything still rebels are spawning there, clicked on clean too.
Last edited by Harrisonfog on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Harrisonfog wrote:Hello again friends, I made a lot of progress on the map and I need help fixing the only bug that's stoping me from releasing it:
I removed the hangar, and placed the CP on top of the hill instead, so the rebels "have the high ground" haha. Moved the CP spawn region and paths too, but when I start the game, rebels spawn where the hangar was (there's nothing there so they fall into the abyss under terrain), I've been unable to fix this, it looks as if the spawning height was the issue but I also tried moving the cp to a different place and it didn't work either. Any thoughts?
You need to move the spawn nodes manually from where they were before.