Battlefront 2015 Modding

Show off your mods, get help on a mod, heck, even just have a good time downloading other folks mods. This forum is all about modding for any non-SWBF games.

Moderator: Moderators

giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Battlefront 2015 Modding

Post by giftheck »

There's a new tool called "Frosty" that allows you to get into the files of the 2015 Battlefront. It's early days but creators of the tool say that it will eventualy allow for modders to alter everything from skins, unit models, maps, even modes (including the AI for offline modes). How it does this is that it apparently tricks the game into thinking it's received a DLC package.
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Re: Battlefront 2015 Modding

Post by commanderawesome »

I've been messing around with it. It is pretty awesome. I'll post screenshots soon.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Here's a link to the Frosty Tool Suite, if anyone's interested in checking it out. Looks pretty limited right now, though, with texture/model swaps being the most common things people are doing.

Here's a writeup of someone who found the AI code for Skirmish mode in Battlefront.

I have a feeling if this gains any traction, though, EA's gonna shut it down, hard. If it gets to the point where you can play custom maps with custom units and custom weapons on multiplayer, any lawyer worth his salt could make the case that it could potentially cut into Battlefront II's sales.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

I don't think you could use it to make multiplayer maps or mods. Apparently anything you create can only work in the offline modes, or so Corra_Ashu said when he posted the video with the DH-17 using rifle animations.
DylanRocket
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: None
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by DylanRocket »

I enabled the unreleased Hero Blast mode which was supposedly incomplete. Turns out it functions just fine. The only problem is that it doesn't work on two Bespin maps.
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

Here's a skin I just made:

Will definitely be more to come.
DylanRocket
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by DylanRocket »

Looks great! Here's one I did:
Hidden/Spoiler:
It's based of the AT-ACT Pilot, though it's not 100% accurate.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

ggctuk wrote:I don't think you could use it to make multiplayer maps or mods. Apparently anything you create can only work in the offline modes, or so Corra_Ashu said when he posted the video with the DH-17 using rifle animations.
You say that, yet they've been able to complete the unfinished Hero Blast mode, and play it in Private matches

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBattle ... ata_minig/
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

I think that's because the mode was actually pretty much finished already and just never implemented. But I'd bet trying to use it in main-stay MP would result in a ban.

As for other things, Corra_Ashu did two more weapons mods. The first is the DH-17 using rifle animations.

The second is the DLT-20A replacing the DLT-19X, which in my view should have happened: the DLT-20A is a perfect sniper weapon.

And let's not forget these two costumes that were promised but never delivered:

Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

ggctuk wrote:I think that's because the mode was actually pretty much finished already and just never implemented. But I'd bet trying to use it in main-stay MP would result in a ban.
Well obviously, Fairfight's sole purpose is to make sure you don't hop into regular multiplayer with modified files. But its not limited to offline modes, like you said. And even if we're stuck with private matches, I feel like custom maps and modes could still be an option. We're clearly able to edit existing game modes (even if it was "mostly finished" they still made edits to complete it), so those are only a matter of time. And if the tool really does simulate a DLC package, then its possible that someone might be able to edit a map file.

I'm not saying its a guarantee, but I don't think its out of the realm of possibility, based on what I've seen of the tool
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Apparently AI is editable with the tool as well. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that, with a little more programming, it might be possible to bring new maps entirely into Skirmish, though it sounds like the way AI works in Skirmish would be more simplistic in comparison to how the Pandemic engine handles it as AI always has to follow a path, as it was explained to me, whereas in the Pandemic engine they can stray off paths and still be able to go for objectives so long as barriers and such are defined. The ability to do that alone would be worth the price of admission for me (and I'd be willing to see if upping the RAM on my laptop would mean being able to play Battlefront on low settings).
DylanRocket
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by DylanRocket »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:(even if it was "mostly finished" they still made edits to complete it)
Actually, all that needed to be done to make the mode playable was to make it visible in the menus. Everything else is totally unmodified.
Last edited by DylanRocket on Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

It's amazing how, despite the fact it was 'unfinished', it works like a finished mode, which shows just how far along it was before it was scrapped: I'd bet it was at the beta stage at least, if not post-beta.