Other Modeling Softwares

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

F1ghter16
Private Third Class
Projects :: ARC Trooper Era
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Other Modeling Softwares

Post by F1ghter16 »

Hey guys,

Are there any other modeling softwares that will work for SWBF2 other than XSI and Mod Tools? Neither of which work that well on my cpu and I really want to try to make my own models. Thanks in advance!
Dasher
Private Third Class
Projects :: Loronar Jade Moon

Re: Other Modeling Softwares

Post by Dasher »

F1ghter16
Private Third Class

Post by F1ghter16 »

Are there any that work well for creating new troops and weapons? I would prefer something that is free. I am brand new to this part of modding and have no idea what I'm doing :(
Dasher
Private Third Class

Post by Dasher »

F1ghter16 wrote:Are there any that work well for creating new troops and weapons? I would prefer something that is free. I am brand new to this part of modding and have no idea what I'm doing :(
well there isn't a programme I'd consider unsuitable for creating models among the most common ones :wink: Blender is for free and there are tons of tutorials on youtube for it, so I'd go for that. However getting used to XSI wouldn't be such a bad idea either, since it's the programme that was used for creating the SWBF models. Have a look here for tutorials: http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=14465
F1ghter16
Private Third Class

Post by F1ghter16 »

Dasher wrote:
F1ghter16 wrote:Are there any that work well for creating new troops and weapons? I would prefer something that is free. I am brand new to this part of modding and have no idea what I'm doing :(
well there isn't a programme I'd consider unsuitable for creating models among the most common ones :wink: Blender is for free and there are tons of tutorials on youtube for it, so I'd go for that. However getting used to XSI wouldn't be such a bad idea either, since it's the programme that was used for creating the SWBF models. Have a look here for tutorials: http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=14465
Do you know how to import .msh files into Blender? I can't really find anything on how to do that. I'd rather edit a troop than make a new one from scratch (that would end up in a disaster).
Dasher
Private Third Class

Post by Dasher »

F1ghter16 wrote:
Dasher wrote:
Do you know how to import .msh files into Blender? I can't really find anything on how to do that. I'd rather edit a troop than make a new one from scratch (that would end up in a disaster).
2nd link in my first post :thumbs:
F1ghter16
Private Third Class

Post by F1ghter16 »

I've gotten everything working properly and the viewer works great but I still have one question. Why does the helmet and shoulder pads of the clone troopers appear blank in Blender while everything else is perfectly fine and textured? When I enter into the UV editor all the pieces are laid out except for the helmet. Is there a solution for this?
Dasher
Private Third Class

Post by Dasher »

Just in case you're planning on editing character models, if so, you'll need to use XSI, Blender only works for props I'm afraid and also shadowvolumes and lowrez models etc. cannot be made in Blender if I'm not mistaken. But back to your question, if you see white faces in texture view you're probs missing some textures.
F1ghter16
Private Third Class

Post by F1ghter16 »

Dasher wrote:Just in case you're planning on editing character models, if so, you'll need to use XSI, Blender only works for props I'm afraid and also shadowvolumes and lowrez models etc. cannot be made in Blender if I'm not mistaken. But back to your question, if you see white faces in texture view you're probs missing some textures.
I'm trying to experiment to see if you can do character models, so I'm trying to figure out the issue of the helmet and shoulder pads not being included as part of the model. They are basically un-editable objects that are not permanently attached to the body. How do I fix this (if anyone even knows how)?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

There is no direct way to get skinned meshes from Blender into SWBF2. You absolutely have to go through XSI somewhere down the road.
F1ghter16
Private Third Class

Post by F1ghter16 »

Thanks for all of the responses and help. I have one final question though; how do I get a custom "paint job" to be included in the saved .msh of my model? The texture that I am using shows up in Blender, but when I save it as a .msh in SWBF2 Viewer the model is white and there is no .tga listed in the mesh file.