Zero Editor Crashes by loading my exported mesh

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Redline
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: Space to Ground [reworking]
Games I'm Playing :: Different Games
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Zero Editor Crashes by loading my exported mesh

Post by Redline »

I've tried everything, but the Zero Editor keeps crashing when I try to load my exported mesh.
What could cause a problem like this?
My Model has a root.
My textures are just fine.

Maybe the UV of the mesh itself or too many textures causes this kind of problem? :?
By the way, does anybody know how many textures at one mesh the Zero Engine can handle?

In addition, I'm currently exporting my models with the ZE Tools in Softimage 7.5.

Thanks in advance.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Re: Zero Editor Crashes by loading my exported mesh

Post by giftheck »

Number of textures shouldn't be a problem. Resolution of textures may be (I think ZE can only handle 1024x1024) but mesh density can also affect whether you can load a mesh or not: if you have an incredible detailed mesh, you need to break it up within the .msh in order to get it to load.
Redline
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Redline »

ggctuk wrote:Number of textures shouldn't be a problem. Resolution of textures may be (I think ZE can only handle 1024x1024) but mesh density can also affect whether you can load a mesh or not: if you have an incredible detailed mesh, you need to break it up within the .msh in order to get it to load.
I've researched that you can use different combinations.
For exsample you can use many resolution combinations if you follow one simple rule.
The rule is very obvious. (2^x) 10000000 -> 11000000 -> .... -> 11111111 ... and etc.
(2,4,8,) - 16,32,64,128,256,512,1024 -> Exsamples: (512x512) equal or not equal (512x1024),(256x1024) etc...

What do you mean with break it up within the msh?
Could you explain it a little bit more?

EDIT
ggctuk wrote:Number of textures shouldn't be a problem. Resolution of textures may be (I think ZE can only handle 1024x1024) but mesh density can also affect whether you can load a mesh or not: if you have an incredible detailed mesh, you need to break it up within the .msh in order to get it to load.
Okay, I've broken the model up, but it didn't help too.
Today I've tried to edit the imp_cap_stardestroyer2.
That's a simple model with low triangles and should work after another export.
I mean, this model is from the game itself. How could it not work?
I just wanted to put the hangar from side to the bottom of the Star Destroyer itself, but take a look for yourself and explain, what I could do wrong.
Hidden/Spoiler:
However, yes, I've tried it with a root.
Freeze all transforms, extract Polygons delete, freeze UV but nothing seems to fix the problem at all.
Maybe I'm a big fool in using the Ex/importer? I'm running out of ideas to deal with this problem.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

The only other thing I can think of is there's an issue with the mesh itself. This might sound obvious, but have you tried triangulating your meshes? It's possible that you have a five-sided polygon somewhere and I think those crash ZEditor as well.
Redline
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Redline »

ggctuk wrote:The only other thing I can think of is there's an issue with the mesh itself. This might sound obvious, but have you tried triangulating your meshes? It's possible that you have a five-sided polygon somewhere and I think those crash ZEditor as well.
I've just imported the model, closed the side hangar and cut bottom open. That's all.

By the way, another question: If I've many high polymesh objects close together on the map, will it cause display problems so objects pop up and disappear again and again with the point of view? I think I've heard of this problem before.
The engine can't deal with it, I guess.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

Cutting open a mesh can definitely create some more-than-4-sided polygons. Did you try triangulating after making the modifications?