Problem Texturing Model [Solved]

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

swgaming1015
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: Malastare Plains
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront RDR GTA
xbox live or psn: PSN: swgaming1015

Problem Texturing Model [Solved]

Post by swgaming1015 »

I've never had a problem texturing models in XSI Softimage before but this model seems different. I've tried applying multipule texture projections but the model always seems to appear textureless in SWBFViewer. Here's what I'm doing:

Select the model and go to Material>Phong>Image>New from file> gate.tga,
Open texture editor and make sure my UVs are in place,
Select "UV" texture projection.

The model gets it's projection applied to it and I export as msh after root selecting dummyroot. The model itself is always fine but is always textureless. Any ideas why this is?

Thanks
Last edited by swgaming1015 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: Problem Texturing Model

Post by AceMastermind »

You need to separate the LODs from the model before you worry about anything else. :)
swgaming1015
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by swgaming1015 »

Will separating the LODs from the model help at all with the texturing? The model actually works fine ingame right now. It's just textureless.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

what about the viewer? Does it shows the model textured? Does it detect the materials and shows the tga file names?
swgaming1015
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by swgaming1015 »

The SWBFViewer does not show the model textured. The .msh itself recognises the .tga. It just doesn't show up in the viewer.

The model already had the UVs in place when I downloaded it. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

I just can't understand why the texture doesn't appear. The .msh recognises that a texture has been projected on it but it's not appearing.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

That model should be cleaned up first, can you post the link to download this model? I'd like to see what the source file looks like. :)
Also, according to your msh file, you never assigned the gate.tga texture to it, thats why it doesn't display as textured.
swgaming1015
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by swgaming1015 »

Here is the original model: http://www.mediafire.com/file/je5w5kqoq ... d_Gate.rar

You're right that the .msh that I included hasn't regonised the .tga. However, I've since exported another .msh that does regonise the .tga. Sadly, the texture still doesn't appear in the viewer. Here's my updated .msh. If you put it in a hex editor you'll see that "gate.tga" is regonised.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/lbir8ashw ... myroot.msh
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

Do you have a screenshot of the info window from the viewer?
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

swgaming1015 wrote:... I've since exported another .msh that does regonise the .tga. Sadly, the texture still doesn't appear in the viewer.
Now you have a material (Material) with gate.tga assigned but that material doesn't belong to any object in your hierarchy. :)
swgaming1015
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by swgaming1015 »

Anakin wrote:Do you have a screenshot of the info window from the viewer?
https://ibb.co/mmjGZG
AceMastermind wrote:Now you have a material (Material) with gate.tga assigned but that material doesn't belong to any object in your hierarchy. :)
In that case, how can I correct this? Did I mess up the texture projection?
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

as you can see on the screenshot you have 6 materials but just one has a real tga file. If ace is correct and you didn't assign the material to the object (haven't looked into the files ) you need to open the material manager (alt+7 or strg+7 I'm never sure which of it is the uv editor and which the material manager). Select your object and then you right click on the material and select assign to selection.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

swgaming1015 wrote:... how can I correct this?
The object already has UV coords, just drag 'n drop the gate.tga file onto the model in any XSI viewport, if it displays textured in "Textured Decal" or "Textured" display mode, you are good. :)
swgaming1015
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by swgaming1015 »

Anakin wrote:as you can see on the screenshot you have 6 materials but just one has a real tga file. If ace is correct and you didn't assign the material to the object (haven't looked into the files ) you need to open the material manager (alt+7 or strg+7 I'm never sure which of it is the uv editor and which the material manager). Select your object and then you right click on the material and select assign to selection.
Thanks very much! I finally got the texture applied. It wasn't as simply as draging and dropping the .tga or selecting "assign material". But after playing around with the material manager I got the texture applied. :D
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

swgaming1015 wrote:...I finally got the texture applied. It wasn't as simply as draging and dropping the .tga...
Yes, it is, and i'm referring to the source file you linked and not that chaotic mess of polygons you are exporting. :lol:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I don't know how you ended up with that mess and why you had so much trouble with it, no need for any "playing around" in Material Manager though, XSI is pretty straight forward. :wink:
swgaming1015
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by swgaming1015 »

AceMastermind wrote:
swgaming1015 wrote:...I finally got the texture applied. It wasn't as simply as draging and dropping the .tga...
Yes, it is, and i'm referring to the source file you linked and not that chaotic mess of polygons you are exporting. :lol:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I don't know how you ended up with that mess and why you had so much trouble with it, no need for any "playing around" in Material Manager though, XSI is pretty straight forward. :wink:
I misunderstood you, I didn't know you were talking about the original model. The reason my version is a mess of polygons is probably because I reduced the number of polygons a few times. I also made a few changes when altering the size of the model. Anyway, once again thanks to both of you for your help.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Re: Problem Texturing Model [Solved]

Post by Anakin »

there is an auto function for poly reduction that works pretty good if you don't reduce too much
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: Problem Texturing Model [Solved]

Post by AceMastermind »

The *.meshset/*.chunk source files contain at least 4 LODs that you could choose from so you don't have to reduce polygons, but truthfully I think the main LOD is fine to use, the scale looks good for this game and it only has 10214 tris, at the very least you could halve or quarter it to make it easier to export or work with. You could even animate the Mat_ShieldGate_010 mesh to recreate the shield gate opening/closing sequence. :yes: