Converting a different model type into a .msh? [Solved]

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

LordVGames
Private Recruit
Games I'm Playing :: BF2+a little of BF1

Converting a different model type into a .msh? [Solved]

Post by LordVGames »

I'm doubting such a thing is possible, but I want to convert models of a different type (.dae) into the .msh that battlefront 2 can use. Is this even possible? If so, is there a way I can go about this?

Edit - Imported the .dae into xsi and tried to export to .msh, but I got this when exporting:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Last 15 log lines:
Traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<Script Block >", line 28, in exportbutton_OnClicked
File "C:\Users\Ian\Autodesk\Softimage_Mod_Tool_7.5\Addons\xsizetools-1.3.0034\Application\Core\zetexport.py", line 899, in export
self.do_export()
File "C:\Users\Ian\Autodesk\Softimage_Mod_Tool_7.5\Addons\xsizetools-1.3.0034\Application\Core\zetexport.py", line 906, in do_export
self.check_filepath()
File "C:\Users\Ian\Autodesk\Softimage_Mod_Tool_7.5\Addons\xsizetools-1.3.0034\Application\Core\zetexport.py", line 873, in check_filepath
filepath_items = ['...', splitpath[-3], splitpath[-2], splitpath[-1]]
IndexError: list index out of range
Anybody know what this means? Or what I could do to the model to make it work?
Last edited by LordVGames on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: Converting a different model type into a .msh?

Post by Maveritchell »

Collada's a pretty standard filetype, but if you're running in to some extra data that your exporter doesn't like (and assuming you're just working with a static model), the best thing to do would be to use .obj export (or something equally simple) to strip it of junk data. I think ModTool handles obj export through Crosswalk, and I don't know if that's standard in the version of the ModTool you're using, so you may have to try another different format.

The idea is just that you'll export as a different format, re-import entirely, and see if that exports as .msh fine. You may also want to look through the ZETools thread to see if you can match an issue you see there to your own: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=26664
Calrissian97
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Projects :: ANF - ISM Skin Changer - BF1 Ports
Games I'm Playing :: All teh BFs

Post by Calrissian97 »

This is very true, I've always noticed when porting models that the obj format is the friendliest!
LordVGames
Private Recruit

Post by LordVGames »

Maveritchell wrote:the best thing to do would be to use .obj export (or something equally simple) to strip it of junk data. I think ModTool handles obj export through Crosswalk, and I don't know if that's standard in the version of the ModTool you're using, so you may have to try another different format.viewtopic.php?f=36&t=26664
Well, I would export to .obj, but the button is always greyed out for me, even when I select the whole model. I don't know if it's the model or what...

MAJOR EDIT - Wow I'm dumb...the reason that previous error was happening was that I forgot to set the name for the exported .msh file. :faint:
But, when exporting either the .dae as a .msh the correct way, I get a real error:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Export aborted:
Object "Camera_Root has unsupported model type "Cameraroot"..
Not sure what to do for the error...
Calrissian97
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Post by Calrissian97 »

You need to branch select (wheel-click) starting from either the model itself or the dummyroot containing it, but you cannot select and export scene objects such as the camera!
LordVGames
Private Recruit

Post by LordVGames »

Selecting the model that way worked and I was able to export it! (even if there were no textures assigned to it)

However, when munging it for the first time, the munge log gave me this:
Hidden/Spoiler:
ERROR[PC_modelmunge MSH\tf2_inf_scout.msh]:Model has 70 Bones, MAX is 64
ERROR[PC_modelmunge MSH\tf2_inf_scout.msh]:Mesh tf2_inf_scout segment VisualSceneNode74 vertex 76 has invalid boneindex[1]=69. Reassigned to root (0).
ERROR[PC_modelmunge MSH\tf2_inf_scout.msh]:Model has 70 Bones, MAX is 64
ERROR[levelpack req\tf2_inf_scout.req]:Expecting bracket, but none was found.
File : munged\pc\tf2_inf_scout.model.req(1)...

ucft <--
ERROR[levelpack req\tf2_inf_scout.req]:Expecting bracket, but none was found.
File : munged\pc\tf2_inf_scout.model.req(1)...

ucft <--

2 Errors 0 Warnings
The game keeps using the older model I had before I put the new one in. Maybe the model is just too complex for the game? Is it possible to "degrade" the model or something like that?
Calrissian97
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Post by Calrissian97 »

If you read the log it's telling you there are too many bones. Make sure you're using a BF II skeleton!
LordVGames
Private Recruit

Post by LordVGames »

Calrissian97 wrote:If you read the log it's telling you there are too many bones. Make sure you're using a BF II skeleton!
I don't want to seem like a burden with all of these questions, but how can I rig the model/apply the skeleton of a normal bf2 unit to the .dae model?

(On a side note, I've also been trying to texture it with what's included via methods already on gametoast, but the textures won't show up at all.)
Calrissian97
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Post by Calrissian97 »

There are several tutorials for just that!
I'm partial to this one myself: But if you're a visual learner you can try the youtube videos:
Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Athenova Campaign
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by Oceans14 »

Maybe not useful anymore since you've solved the problem, but there's an obj export plugin for xsi:

https://www.moddb.com/groups/softimage- ... j-exporter
LordVGames
Private Recruit

Post by LordVGames »

Oceans14 wrote:Maybe not useful anymore since you've solved the problem, but there's an obj export plugin for xsi:

https://www.moddb.com/groups/softimage- ... j-exporter
I haven't fully solved it yet, but that'll be helpful!
Calrissian97 wrote:There are several tutorials for just that!
I'm partial to this one myself: But if you're a visual learner you can try the youtube videos:
Ok, so I was able to go through the tutorial well enough and the exporting worked! But when munging, it still said it had too many bones. I probably messed something up, so I'll try it again tomorrow.
However, there is something with the model itself I don't know how to fix: The head and eyes are separate from the rest of the model. I've selected each part of the model (main body + helmet, both eyes, and head),
but the head won't export with everything else. Is there a way I could link them all into one part?
Calrissian97
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Post by Calrissian97 »

Of course! What you'll do is select the meshes, then click on Poly. Mesh under MODEL -> Create and then click Merge! A little dialog will pop up where you'll want to merge all the clusters and materials and all that, then delete the original meshes (all in that popup). Should be good to go after that.
LordVGames
Private Recruit

Post by LordVGames »

Calrissian97 wrote:Of course! What you'll do is select the meshes, then click on Poly. Mesh under MODEL -> Create and then click Merge! A little dialog will pop up where you'll want to merge all the clusters and materials and all that, then delete the original meshes (all in that popup). Should be good to go after that.
Well, after following the tutorial correctly, I can see it ingame! But, something's wrong...
:eek:

So...how can I fix the droopiness on the model?
I'll have to fix where my model is to the bones...maybe making the model bigger would help?
Calrissian97
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Post by Calrissian97 »

Be sure that when you edit the weights to set the max number of deformers to 1. Meaning, a vertex on the model can only be deformed by one bone. It should be a setting in the weight editing menu.
Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Oceans14 »

I don't do a lot of (any) character modeling so I'm not familiar with weighting issues, but that looks a little like the model was exported with some bad faces. You can hit the Check Sel button on export and see what that says.
LordVGames
Private Recruit

Post by LordVGames »

Calrissian97 wrote:Be sure that when you edit the weights to set the max number of deformers to 1. Meaning, a vertex on the model can only be deformed by one bone. It should be a setting in the weight editing menu.
Yeah, I did that and exported, but when munging, I get this error:
Hidden/Spoiler:
WARNING[PC_modelmunge MSH\tf2_inf_scout.msh]:Mesh tf2_inf_scout segment polymsh vertex 0 has invalid weight[0]=1.000000.
However, in the weight editor, vertex 0 has a weight of 100 on one of the bones (bone_head to be exact). Not sure what to do to fix it...
Also, when viewing it in StarWars Battlefront Viewer (the icon is a wookiee), there is a triangular "fin" coming off of some part of the face. Probably related?
Oceans14 wrote:I don't do a lot of (any) character modeling so I'm not familiar with weighting issues, but that looks a little like the model was exported with some bad faces. You can hit the Check Sel button on export and see what that says.
I clicked the Check Sel button just to find out if anything was wrong, and there were 2 things about bad faces: One for poly index of 3603 with a vertex count of 7, and another for a poly index of 3834 with a vertex count of 5.
Do I have to delete these to get rid of them? If so, is there a way to easily find them? Reason being because there were way more points than I expected (5185 is the highest number for the .msh model in the weight editor :shock: )
Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Oceans14 »

If you triangulate the mesh (I’m away from my pc but if you use the bottom section of the left-hand menu, triangulate is under either Poly Mesh or Deform... you’ll find it) it’ll take care of the bad faces. That operation adds polys though, so afterwards you might benefit from doing a Polygon Reduction (again, look around the side-pane menus). With the poly reduction though, I recommend you make a copy of your current xsi scene to mess around with, because that operation can be finicky with undos and you’ll almost certainly want to play with the settings a little.

But - try just the triangulation first and see how the ingame model looks.
LordVGames
Private Recruit

Post by LordVGames »

Oceans14 wrote:If you triangulate the mesh (I’m away from my pc but if you use the bottom section of the left-hand menu, triangulate is under either Poly Mesh or Deform... you’ll find it) it’ll take care of the bad faces. That operation adds polys though, so afterwards you might benefit from doing a Polygon Reduction (again, look around the side-pane menus). With the poly reduction though, I recommend you make a copy of your current xsi scene to mess around with, because that operation can be finicky with undos and you’ll almost certainly want to play with the settings a little.

But - try just the triangulation first and see how the ingame model looks.
I tried doing that (select custom mesh, triangulate, reduce polygons), and the model looked...worse? The model looked more disproportionate and more was getting "sucked into the ground" which is the main problem with the model since I first got it into the game: there are random parts of the model getting "pulled/sucked into the ground". Other than that, it's just untextured, and bones/sizing need to be fixed.
Also as a note, looking at the model in StarWars Battlefront Viewer, the model has (pretty much) always looked fine (nothing is getting pulled down to the ground)
I've been searching around these forums and seen some talking about freezing before exporting. Would that help? I'm trying not to sound helpless by this point, with all of the questions...
Calrissian97
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Post by Calrissian97 »

You would have needed to freeze the mesh(es) before enveloping if it wasn't already.
DieuDeGlace
Private Recruit
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by DieuDeGlace »

If I had ripped battlefront 2 2017 models that I wanted to import to the game and have them be used for well personal use would I still have to envelop them? I took a crap ton of my time trying to fix the already messed up rig ea had and I would prefer to not try to reweight a 500,000 vert/poly model