Darth marlboro is at it again

Posts relating to [GT] Clan in SWBF1 go here. Ranks, Members, benefits of joining our fun mod clan are all here.

Moderator: Moderators

SteveK14
Old School Staff
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Darth marlboro is at it again

Post by SteveK14 »

New post from BBO, now he's quoting Epena:
Hey Kevlar, on the gametoast forums I saw the following message from one of their staff members:

"Thanks Moncal for the link. We've made a descision about donating already. Kevlar wasn't going to give GT the recognition that we deserved for the conversion map pack and thus we aren't going to support him finacially. I'm sure that if he changes his mind about the recognition GT would decide to help him a bit with the money.

Also, this is the second bump this topic has recieved and this time there was little constructive to say here. Next time, make a new topic. But after using the search feature.

Topic locked."

I dont get what kind of credit they would want? Its not like your claiming credit for their maps or even creating a program that works exclusively with their maps. It would work with anyone's mod maps wouldnt it? I just dont get why they wouldnt want this to work considering they put all this effort into making maps. Are they happy that people only get to play them for the most part in single player against a load of mindless bots? What kind of recognition would they want anyway? Where would the recognition go?
Last edited by SteveK14 on Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
SteveK14
Old School Staff

Post by SteveK14 »

Just a little constructive criticism I posted on BBO:
quote: [SL]Darth Marbury
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote: darkfire
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a question: You only release the new app. to clans who have donated?

Well that is something we are going to have to decide. Personally, and I think the rest of SL feels this way, we wouldnt mind if Kevlar released the program publicly, because this will increase the chances that mod maps will become a regular part of many servers' rotations and more people will download the conversion map pack. But on the other hand, some clans and people who paid would feel a little slighted that they paid while other people didnt, and wouldnt want them to get something for nothing.

Thus I propose that we have a vote of sorts, And perhaps weigh each vote depending on how much you donated. For instance, SL and G-CLan donated $50 each, so each clan (their representative) would have a vote weighted at 13% (since I believe 50 is aproximately 13% of 375). Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

It astounds me how you have decided you are the judge and jury for everyone involved in this project. Who are you to say who can and cannot have the manager? You can vote alll you want but the reality is that other clans donated more than money. It isn't your place to say who is worthy and who is not. The "manager" also belongs to Lucas Arts/ Pandemic and if you keep making a big deal out of it they are going to stick their nose in and we are going to get NOTHING, I suggest you shutup, stop posting the money aspect all over the net, and wait for Kevin to do what he needs to do.

NO ONE CAN "OWN" THIS, get it.....
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Yeah, Epena was quoted out of context. Still, I thought Ep's post was not really the mind and will of gametoast even then. But this crap about clan-only updated exe's -- yeah that's dumb. SWBF2's online life is all but gone. There's no point putting another nail in the coffin. Seriously, if they did that, I'd be dang near convinced to make the BF1 Conversion Pack 2.0 download password protected. Then we'd work out a trade, since there's four maps in 1.0 of the pack that don't work online, plus they wouldn't have the updated shell with new gametypes and the 8 bonus maps.

I seriuosly do not understand. It's great that they donated. But the BF1 pack, which I can pretty much guarantee will be the only active mod maps on servers (some others might have some random mod map that nobody has) is what WE and the TAW clan contributed to the community. I've put well over 80 hours into the pack just by myself. If I was making below minimum wage USD that's 5.00 an hour multiplied by 80.

Where's my money? :D
yankeefan05
Sith
Sith

Post by yankeefan05 »

Mc - I deleted this content. I know you are just trying to be funny, but people (as shown above) will use the quote of what you said to make GT look bad and start flame wars.

Steve
Epena
Old School Staff

Post by Epena »

Woah, sorry if I wasn't showing off the 'true colors' of GT at that very moment. That post came result of a chat with guru over Xfire and he had almost the exact attitude so I went far enough to assume that that was how GT felt. (the admins) Tean, you might feel different, but I'm pretty sure that guru doesn't. (not speaking for him, just after hearing what he had to say about Kevlar)

That was a bit out of context, though...let's hope that my post doesn't bring further miscommunication!

I really want to know where this Malboro guy got his authority...sheesh.

MC, I suggest that you -don't- spam any forums. If anything it gives GT as a whole a bad rep. They will have 'ways' to figure out where you came from, and we don't want further misunderstanding.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Agreed, that's a really dumb idea to be brutally honest MC. In fact, if you're ever caught being 'mean' on servers, you get kicked out of the clan, and the site for that matter. We're a clean clan that doesn't hold grudges.
yankeefan05
Sith
Sith

Post by yankeefan05 »

U know i was joking about what i said in the previous post and anything else i said about privately releaseing the conversion mod/map pack.

But, that DarthMarbury guy is a n00b. If they release the SWBF2SM privately i wont be happy. They need to do it publicly. The [SL] guy is already making his clan's rep horrible. I talked to other people about it and they also think he is a n00b.

Explain to me: Who the **** does that guy think he is? Is he just trying to get more than half of the credits for the SWBF2SM or is he just insane?

Sorry for the lang. I just need to express my feelings.
SteveK14
Old School Staff

Post by SteveK14 »

This is the whole story that Darth marlboro isn't aware of. We approached Kevin in the beginning and started the project with Kevin as an exclusive GT project with our name on it. We were going to pay the entire fee. We had many discussions and realized that the manager actually is licensed and belongs to LUCAS ARTS. Kevin can no more "sell" it to us or any one entity. He can only "fix" things that were broken from the previous release, and possibly make some improvements. If anyone clan or entity wants to claim "ownership" or exclusive use of it, they (and Kevin) will be breaking copyright laws, and I'm sure that LA and Pandemic will have something to say about it. if that happens, we won't even get the FIXED version of the manager, and NO mod maps on the servers managed by that application.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Off-Topic: Can't you just start a mod server with a .bat file (using Remote Desktop to access the server's computer) then run SWBF2RM to moderate and whatnot? I'm sure the maps wouldn't show, but it would work, no?

I still hope and pray for a patch. I just dunno if there will be one.
yankeefan05
Sith
Sith

Post by yankeefan05 »

So then we cant download it and use it?

That sucks. Well, I guess LA and Pandemic will wont their stuff approved by them.
SteveK14
Old School Staff

Post by SteveK14 »

Teancum wrote:Off-Topic: Can't you just start a mod server with a .bat file (using Remote Desktop to access the server's computer) then run SWBF2RM to moderate and whatnot? I'm sure the maps wouldn't show, but it would work, no?

I still hope and pray for a patch. I just dunno if there will be one.
No, as far as I know, you can start a server session with a batch file, but cannot access it with either manager. SWBFSM or DSManager. Someone should test this.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

The current no name hacks are bugs not features and should be repaired without cost to anyone- since this was payed for by lucasarts.

I agree that programming time should be payed for regarding other features but it appeears the amount needed has already been surpassed with a recent $150 donation on top of the past $180+ donations.

Selective release is lame. gametoast has offered piles of mods and files for swbf1 & 2 for over 2 years for free. not even considering the hours and days sometimes months for a single map production then released for free everytime! its the same thing, they are the property of lucasarts, all of them! including the application they paid kevin to make.

Imagine the outcry or how long ago the swbf2 community would have died if gametoast made mappacks for selective release.

Its all good! Clans and players & code jockeys will come and go but gametoast will remain to be the father of swbf and doing things the right way! wonder if anyone actually thinks there would have been an swbf2 if this site didnt make the mods! wake up silly rabbits.
Last edited by guru on Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveK14
Old School Staff

Post by SteveK14 »

LMFAO!!! The latest...
Steve, why are you so hostile? If I hadnt gone around rallying funds for Kevlar then no one would get the SWBF2Sm and md maps would continue to be hardly played besides the inane playing fields of single player. As much as making mod maps might help the community, I dont think Kevlar considers mod maps a form of payment.

Like I said before, I want the SWBf2SM to be available for all, but as a PROPOSAL I thought of something that might apease those people who donated and felt they should have some special privelages over those cheap skates who didnt pay. Obviously Kevlar (or Kevin as you so personally call him) is going to decide who gets the program, but I believe he might ask our opinion of what he should do, and I was trying to figure out the most democratic way to formulate that opinion so that it didnt become a shouting match when he finishes it. If your so concerned about getting "NOTHING" why dont you throw another $25 dollars Kevlar's way and "shut up."
I'm SO glad Darth Marlboro is around, he has single handedly saved the modding community.

What a jackarse.

Oh, and, um SL pwns!!!!

<evil grin>

No really, :arrow: :arrow: gtpwn
Ace_Azzameen_5
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Ace_Azzameen_5 »

All I can say about Selective Release is this:

Leaked!

Anyone can join a clan with a protected identity and paste a 700 kb exe file all over the net in a matter of hours, depending on the files popularity.
-_-
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by -_- »

Ace_Azzameen_5 wrote:All I can say about Selective Release is this:

Leaked!

Anyone can join a clan with a protected identity and paste a 700 kb exe file all over the net in a matter of hours, depending on the files popularity.
Agreed. And after, the clan would need you to have your real name and address in the joining app XD
SteveK14
Old School Staff

Post by SteveK14 »

Just to update you all...
quote: [SL]Darth Marbury

Like I said before, I want the SWBf2SM to be available for all, but as a PROPOSAL I thought of something that might apease those people who donated and felt they should have some special privelages over those cheap skates who didnt pay. Obviously Kevlar (or Kevin as you so personally call him) is going to decide who gets the program, but I believe he might ask our opinion of what he should do, and I was trying to figure out the most democratic way to formulate that opinion so that it didnt become a shouting match when he finishes it. If your so concerned about getting "NOTHING" why dont you throw another $25 dollars Kevlar's way and "shut up."

Let's get something straight. You have dissed GT from the start and keep posting about GT doing more. You have not named one other clan by name in any of your posts, except to say they donated. There has never been any doubt that the 375 was going to be met. We initiated this project and were going to foot the entire 375 and MORE. When we had discussions about it and realized that it COULD NOT BE AN EXCLUSIVE project for ANYONE because it says STAR WARS on it. It is the legal property of LUCASARTS, not Kevlar. We realized that even if we footed the entire bill and tried to make it GT exclusive, people like yourself would be on the other side SCREAMING it wasn't fair and that it should be given to the WHOLE community. We have waited to see what interest the community as a whole was going to show in this project. If the goal wasn't met, we would pick up the rest. We had NO plans after that to keep it from other people, because at Gametoast, we are like that. For two years we have pumped mod after mod after mod in to the conmmunity FREE of charge. And I would dare to say that if Gametoast had not done all it did after BF1, then there would have been NO BF2. There are bugs in the manager that Kevlar needs to fix and has agreed to. Any IMPROVEMENTS to the manager is what Kevlar should be paid for.

Would you be so interested in any of this if you had to PAY for the mod maps? I doubt it.

quote:
If I hadnt gone around rallying funds for Kevlar then no one would get the SWBF2Sm and md maps would continue to be hardly played besides the inane playing fields of single player. As much as making mod maps might help the community, I dont think Kevlar considers mod maps a form of payment.

What an arrogant statement. It shows your true lack of knowledge about the SWBF community as a whole. And yes, I call him Kevin. It's his name.
yankeefan05
Sith
Sith

Post by yankeefan05 »

I think DM should be more thankful for the mods/maps made by GT and others instead of being aroogant and saying they mean nothing w/o the SWBF2SM 2.0
SteveK14
Old School Staff

Post by SteveK14 »

A fine example of the caliber person at [SL]. This is a PM I got from darth marlboro...
I was just trying to get money from as many sources as possible, and I figured GT would be interested in seeing this project done. I didnt know anything about what GT knew or had done in the past. I think you just have a Napoleon complex or something. Just chill out dude and go beat your meat or something.
Amazing how a person WITH a napoleon complex accuses others of it. Sorry if anyone is offended by the content of the quote. I'm not. I got quite a chuckle out of it.
Precise_Moon
Space Ranger
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefield 3

Post by Precise_Moon »

Is this guy DM for real,does he realise it is not real life and people have better things to do than bicker.At least you Steve get the satisfaction of knowing he/she will not be on the Gametoast server

Mr Marbury's gotten the handbags out over this one...Paces at dawn :emp: sounds as if theres a bit of jealousy.Never mind dear it is only a game
yankeefan05
Sith
Sith

Post by yankeefan05 »

But giving money is real-life, so he can just stop now. I think Kevin reached over the expected amount already. Rt he other [SL] guys like Marbury?