BF2 Limitations (FAQ)

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

MasterSaitek009
Black Sun Slicer

BF2 Limitations (FAQ)

Post by MasterSaitek009 »

I thought that it would be nice to have all of the hard coded values for BF2 in one place.

Updated List:
  • Every dispensable turret on the map uses the same weapon as the last loaded dispensable turret in the Lua.
  • Water will always damage a standard unit, you. Non-standard units are Droideka's and Vehicles. These have modifiable Damage rates via WaterDamageInterval and WaterDamageAmount.
    This limitation for standard units can be counteracted by placing a Damage Region that does negative damage(Essentially a Healing Region) in the water higher than a unit's head. Side effects include a red flashing screen and a blue healing ring around the unit.
  • Water can only be painted on one height level in ZeroEditor (ex: no pond up high and lake down low)
  • Vehicles can only have two weapons for each position, a primary and a secondary.
  • Maximum of 8 unit slots per vehicle
  • We seemly can't change the original CP colors (red, blue and yellow).
  • There are only two weapon channels. Primary (WeaponChannel = 0) and secondary (WeaponChannel = 1).
  • Each unit can have up to 8 weapons. Any combination of primary and secondary weapons.
  • The grappling hook doesn't work in BF2.
  • Certain changes made to a unit in the Lua via SetClassProperty only take effect after the unit respawns
  • Up to 9 selectable units per team + 1 hero, or 10 units with no hero
  • Maximum of 9 teams total, including the regular ATT and DEF teams (1 and 2)
  • Maximum of 16 (Command Posts + Command Vehicles)
  • Maximum of 18 soldier animation banks
  • Maximum of 64 simultaneously active regions (activated with ActivateRegion) (see here)
  • Maximum of 1024 world objects
  • Maximum of 8 connections to a planning hub
  • Maximum of 255 connections
  • Maximum of 256 planning hubs
  • Maximum texture size is 4096x4096
  • You cannot fire a flyer's weapons inside of a Landing Region
  • Flyers cannot strafe (move side to side) as they did in SWBF1
  • Prone does not work in SWBF2
  • Maximum of 20 AI Goals. Going over this limit won't crash the map, but will cause severity 3 messages
  • Human characters can only spawn teams 1 or 2, but you can give the illusion of up to 9 (since 9 is the team limit) selectable teams
  • Maximum of 4 tentacles can be defined in the unit's odf with a total of 20 bone_strings
  • You can't modify the Droideka or Fambaa shield effect geometry
  • You can't change which bone the JetEffect property uses as the attach origin (bone_ribcage).
  • ZeroEditor will crash when attempting to load models mapped to textures larger than 12MB in file size
  • Maximum terrain height is 327 and minimum is -327
  • SetWorldExtents(#) values 19000 or higher will crash your map
  • The limit for damage effects called in the ODF is 10
  • Units consisting of more than 32 keyed nodes will crash your map
  • Maximum of 16 ODFs can be used with AttachODF property in a single ODF
  • Indentation characters (tabs) cannot be used within the entered value of a VOSound parameter in an ODF (see first half of this post for explanation)
  • Every sound bank file (*.asfx and *.sfx files) that is loaded into memory (through ReadDataFile()) must have a unique name (see second half of this post for explanation)
  • Sound LVL files containing soundspace data must be loaded before world LVL files that contain soundspace regions (see this post for explanation)

Post any more that you know of.
Last edited by MasterSaitek009 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:27 am, edited 15 times in total.
Xavious
Sith Master
Sith Master

Re: Hard coded values

Post by Xavious »

CP colors... aren't they hard-coded?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

Campaign maps force you onto team 1 only due to a lua command, so that's not a hard-code issue.
woner11
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by woner11 »

For the vehicles that is only true for each position in it. You can have multiple positions.
MasterSaitek009
Black Sun Slicer

woner11 wrote:For the vehicles that is only true for each position in it. You can have multiple positions.
Reworded
Teancum wrote:Campaign maps force you onto team 1 only due to a lua command, so that's not a hard-code issue.
Removed

Mav', how many weapons are units allowed to have?
Last edited by MasterSaitek009 on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Eight total, 4 per weaponchannel.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Thats not hardcoded. Elmo was able to give Darth vader 6 force powers... yet to see if it works 100%
MasterSaitek009
Black Sun Slicer

Could it be just eight weapons total? I should give it a try....
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Hidden/Spoiler:
Soldier
IsAcklay
GeometryName
GeometryLowRes
AnimationName
SkeletonName
AnimationLowRes
SkeletonLowRes
FirstPerson
NoCombatInterrupt
Acceleration
Acceleraton //HACK support old typo
MaxSpeed
MaxStrafeSpeed
MaxTurnSpeed
MaxPitchSpeed
PitchLimits
JumpHeight
JumpForwardSpeedFactor
JumpStrafeSpeedFactor
RollSpeedFactor
SprintAccelerateTime
RecoverFromTumble
UseDirectionalJumps
UseDirectionalDeaths //- Mike Z
ControlSpeed
stand
crouch
prone
sprint
jump
jet
tumble
roll
CollisionThreshold
CollisionScale
CollisionInflict
UnitType
ImmuneToMines
WeaponSection
Weapon
WeaponName
WeaponAmmo
WeaponAmmo1
WeaponAmmo2
WeaponAmmo3
WeaponAmmo4
WeaponShareAmmo
WeaponShareAmmo1
WeaponShareAmmo2
WeaponShareAmmo3
WeaponShareAmmo4
WeaponShareHeat
WeaponShareHeat1
WeaponShareHeat2
WeaponShareHeat3
WeaponShareHeat4
WeaponChannel
PrimaryWeapon
WeaponName1
SecondaryWeapon
WeaponName2
WeaponName3
WeaponName4
WeaponChannel1
WeaponChannel2
WeaponChannel3
WeaponChannel4
EnergyRestore
EnergyRestoreIdle
EnergyDrainSprint
EnergyCostJump
EnergyCostJumpSprint
EnergyCostRoll
JetJump
JetPush
JetAcceleration
JetShowHud
JetEnergyDrain
JetFuelRechargeRate
JetFuelCost
JetFuelInitialCost
JetFuelMinBorder
HealthGainEffect
AmmoGainEffect
EnergyGainEffect
BuffHealthEffect
BuffOffenseEffect
BuffDefenseEffect
DebuffEffect
InvincibleEffect
JetEffect
JetIdleEffect // - Mike Z
JetType
FootSlideEffect
ChokeEffect
BlurEffect
WaterSplashEffect
FootWaterSplashEffect
WakeWaterSplashEffect
Now I could be wrong; I can't say for certain that you can't add more with using WEAPONSECTION =, but I'm pretty sure that 4 per channel is the max, seeing as how you can't force any more on in the .lua by using WeaponName#/WeaponAmmo# higher than 4 (this I can verify).

And Saitek, no, it'd be 4 per channel.
MasterSaitek009
Black Sun Slicer

All right, Gotcha. Thanks!

[EDIT]

How many teams (besides ambushers) are you allowed to have?
Last edited by MasterSaitek009 on Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
woner11
Sith
Sith

Post by woner11 »

2 channels in the weapon section is hard-coded I do beleive even though this is just believing someone one who is correct, but could be wrong and is therefore making me believe that this is hard coded. :shock:
EGG_GUTS
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by EGG_GUTS »

You can only have 16 CPS (including Spawn Vehicles)
da_great_ghost
Corporal
Corporal

Post by da_great_ghost »

In Boras II: Stunt Corse v3 Dann made the sniper have the abilty to have more than 1 auto turret at 1 time.
trainmaster611
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by trainmaster611 »

Each vehicle position can only have one primary weapon and one secondary weapon.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

MasterSaitek009 wrote:How many teams (besides ambushers) are you allowed to have?
Eight teams total, including the regular ATT and DEF team 1 and 2.
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus

Post by SBF_Dann_Boeing »

OFF-Topic: BAH!!! I just spent along time answering a lot of these but the stupid time-out for the account thing made me loose all I wrote...i'll type it all up again tomorrow.
MasterSaitek009
Black Sun Slicer

SBF_Dann_Boeing wrote:OFF-Topic: BAH!!! I just spent along time answering a lot of these but the stupid time-out for the account thing made me loose all I wrote...i'll type it all up again tomorrow.
Don't you just hate that?
EGG_GUTS wrote:You can only have 16 CPS (including Spawn Vehicles)
I didn't know that the Vehicle spawns and the cps counted together. Can I get confirmation on this?

It's not that I don't trust you it's just.... Think back to almost any of DarthDaddy's maps.... Yeah about 2,000,000 Vehicles per side... Ok maybe 20.

But that's still over the limit and the CPs haven't even been added to that yet.
da_great_ghost wrote:In Boras II: Stunt Corse v3 Dann made the sniper have the abilty to have more than 1 auto turret at 1 time.
More than one turret out at a time? Or more than one type of auto turret for a unit class?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

EGG_GUTS wasn't talking about vehicle spawns, when he said "spawn vehicles" he meant Command Vehicles. Any given map can't have more than 16 chooseable spawn locations (although invisible command posts are included in this as well), which includes any commandposts or commandvehicles. This is strictly a function of the command-type objects, not of actual paths. I haven't found a limit on paths (which means it's probably fairly high, as I had a large amount of paths in Spira).

And you mis-inferred what I said about teams. Ambush teams are local teams, and they count towards the max team total. Eight teams total, local teams and everything.

Oh, and I remembered a limit I came across making Spira (this should be directly applicable to you if you're making an RPG map): You can have a maximum of 70 regions in a map (all layers being loaded in one instance, so for example if a map loads the base layer and the conquest layer the regiontotal in both combined cannot exceed 70). This same idea (that limits apply to the total of all the layers being loaded into any given map instance) probably holds true for objects and everything else.
Syth
General
General

Post by Syth »

Also hardcoded:

fall-rate for units
types of item dropped when unit dies
hero script? I never could find it so you can't edit the way the hero works
no 1st person for land vehicles
the reticle
MasterSaitek009
Black Sun Slicer

Maveritchell wrote:EGG_GUTS wasn't talking about vehicle spawns, when he said "spawn vehicles" he meant Command Vehicles. Any given map can't have more than 16 chooseable spawn locations (although invisible command posts are included in this as well), which includes any commandposts or commandvehicles. This is strictly a function of the command-type objects, not of actual paths. I haven't found a limit on paths (which means it's probably fairly high, as I had a large amount of paths in Spira).

And you mis-inferred what I said about teams. Ambush teams are local teams, and they count towards the max team total. Eight teams total, local teams and everything.

Oh, and I remembered a limit I came across making Spira (this should be directly applicable to you if you're making an RPG map): You can have a maximum of 70 regions in a map (all layers being loaded in one instance, so for example if a map loads the base layer and the conquest layer the regiontotal in both combined cannot exceed 70). This same idea (that limits apply to the total of all the layers being loaded into any given map instance) probably holds true for objects and everything else.
Ohhhh... Command Vehicles.
MasterSaitek009 wrote:And you mis-inferred what I said about teams. Ambush teams are local teams, and they count towards the max team total. Eight teams total, local teams and everything.
I actually thought the counts were separate. I got this preconception from xwingguy's Ambush topic
xwingguy wrote:We must create a new team for the ambushers (i'm calling it team 5. You can also create as many ambush teams as you want, the engine can handle it
First post has been edited yet again. It's still missing the object limit though.