BF2 Limitations (FAQ)

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Re: BF2 Limitations

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

It was an image. I don't have teh image, but it was in the Middle Ages thread, which was deleted.
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

If you want to have a CP with a different colored holo, Xavious, I think it'd be easier to do via ODF, like in that tutorial someone made. Even if you made a holo-ish mesh as part of the CP mesh, it still wouldn't change colors.
Xavious
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Xavious »

Fiodis wrote:If you want to have a CP with a different colored holo, Xavious, I think it'd be easier to do via ODF, like in that tutorial someone made. Even if you made a holo-ish mesh as part of the CP mesh, it still wouldn't change colors.
I didn't think there was any way to change it via odf. I know the icon can be changed, but there isn't anything in the CP odf that defines it's color.

EDIT: Oh wait, yes there is. I don't have much knowledge of this subject myself, as I've never messed around with Command Post color settings. I was actually just basing my point on what has been said by others.
Last edited by Xavious on Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by mswf »

Can't you make it change colours via .lua? (like "if team1 captures this post, change to mesh with corresponding team colour)
Xavious
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Xavious »

I've experimented a bit with it myself. I copied over the Command Post mshs and odfs and changed various values. The changed color values had no effect, but I was able to change the size of the projected hologram.

EDIT: And creating a new ingame.lvl with the changed files made the projected holos disappear completely.

EDIT2: Ah, I never looked through that topic entirely. I never had any real interest in changing CP colors up until now.
Last edited by Xavious on Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

It's been discussed:
http://www.gametoast.com/forums/viewtop ... 27&t=17454
Read the whole topic.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Ok, let me try this again... Is fall damage hard-coded? Because I've been trying to create a map where you have to jump off a floating platform to reach the actual battlefield.
Xavious
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Xavious »

Darth_Squoobus wrote:Ok, let me try this again... Is fall damage hard-coded? Because I've been trying to create a map where you have to jump off a floating platform to reach the actual battlefield.
No, you can change that in your unit's odf. Look at the Jet Trooper for example.
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

Hmm. I could've sworn it was, but I don't see it on the list. I also could've sworn that lightsaber-weapons limitation was listed here to (I think this is where I saw it) but I don't see that on the list either.

I suppose you're right about the jet trooper. Yeah, that makes sense now.
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Added max 20 AI goals
Added info about multiple teams
Slightly changed the list structure (I find it easier to read this way, but if you don't you can change it back)
Fierfek
High General
High General
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
Location: Somewhere in the Galaxy (Most Likely Scrapping Tinnies)

Post by Fierfek »

Is there a maximum amount of objectives?
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

There doesn't seem to be any limits in MultiObjectiveContainer.lua. However, if the objective list gets too long, I don't know how they will display their objective text in the larger map screen (it may just scroll off the screen).
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

[RDH]Zerted wrote:(it may just scroll off the screen).
It does. The map's objective text only shows about six or eight lines at a time.
darthvatrayen
Private Recruit

Re: BF2 Limitations (FAQ)

Post by darthvatrayen »

MasterSaitek009 wrote: ...
Up to 9 selectable units per team.
Hey you guys. I'm sorry for the bump but I think you'll like to hear what I have to say. Check this out:
Hidden/Spoiler:
and this link:
http://www.xfire.com/video/16c55d/

It seems I accidentally managed to have 10 units per team instead of the 9 maximum... 8)
Here's the story: I am currently making my first map so I started making the sides I wanted to put in. I added the reskinned clone commander and the reskinned magna guard and everything was normal. But then I added in the reskinned Obi-wan and I noticed all the unit selection boxes got smaller. I added the Super Battle Droid to experiment and VIOLA I had 10 units on the team. :music: However, after I added the Super Battle Droid I noticed all my CPs had mysteriously vanished... :shock: Anyway, that's my story. I'll be glad to give any more specific information about it.

(I'm thinking you said there is a maximum of 9 playable units per team because if there is 10, this glitch happens. I didn't read a lot of the comments on this topic so I'm REALLY sorry if this has been addressed before and I bumped this for no reason...)
RogueKnight
Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends

Post by RogueKnight »

darthvatrayen wrote:
MasterSaitek009 wrote: ...
Up to 9 selectable units per team.
Hey you guys. I'm sorry for the bump but I think you'll like to hear what I have to say. Check this out:
Hidden/Spoiler:
and this link:
http://www.xfire.com/video/16c55d/

It seems I accidentally managed to have 10 units per team instead of the 9 maximum... 8)
Here's the story: I am currently making my first map so I started making the sides I wanted to put in. I added the reskinned clone commander and the reskinned magna guard and everything was normal. But then I added in the reskinned Obi-wan and I noticed all the unit selection boxes got smaller. I added the Super Battle Droid to experiment and VIOLA I had 10 units on the team. :music: However, after I added the Super Battle Droid I noticed all my CPs had mysteriously vanished... :shock: Anyway, that's my story. I'll be glad to give any more specific information about it.

(I'm thinking you said there is a maximum of 9 playable units per team because if there is 10, this glitch happens. I didn't read a lot of the comments on this topic so I'm REALLY sorry if this has been addressed before and I bumped this for no reason...)
The maximum playable is ten, 9 selectable and 1 unlockable, the fact that when you added the tenth, your cps disappeared means that you can't have more than 9 selectable.

Boy, am I gonna feel like an idiot if I'm wrong...
darthvatrayen
Private Recruit

Post by darthvatrayen »

:cpu: Ok you guys, my map might be in serious jeopardy here... I have taken off the added units and the cps still don't come up. I've checked the ZE and the cps are there. I played it on GCW (the unmodded era) and it worked perfectly. I even used the backup .LUA but to no avail. The CPs refuse to come out from their hiding place. Uber discovery or no, I need help...

(Oh the irony...)
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Yep. Nine units, one hero, or ten units, no hero. That's just how it is. As far as your map is concerned please make a separate topic for that.
vonfrank
Private

Post by vonfrank »

how many units can you have on the map at once?

i know that battlefront 1 had a limit of 199 per team at once (making 398 on the map) but can battlefront 2 have more?
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

if there is a hardcoded limit, you can hardly reach it because you will come to the point where battlefront/your computer cant handle that many units anymore and will simply crash
Xavious
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Xavious »

Over 300 per team seems to be where problems start arising (at least in my experience) but you shouldn't be going that high anyways if you plan to have a decently playable map.