New Modder - Exporting an object from Softimage 7.5

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

hammythepig0
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: BF2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

New Modder - Exporting an object from Softimage 7.5

Post by hammythepig0 »

Hello All,

I'm new to modding, and starting from the beginning, I've got the basics down and now I want to add my own elements into my world.

I've been trying my best to read all the old documentation,
I got to the part of being able to create models using Softimage_Mod_Tool_7.5 which is awesome (just a basic wall for now with a naboo texture, but its my first creation).

However I'm stuck trying to figure out how to export it, to get the .msh file, but have not been able to find a guide to do so, I downloaded the XSIZETools, but am unsure how to properly use it, the readme just lets me know where to save it to.

Would anybody be able to help me out with the exporting of a "scene" in Softimage 7.5 to a .msh file I can add to my level?

I'm currently stuck with the export, and not sure what to do at this screen (below), and looking to get to a .msh file

Thank you,
Hammy
Needo62
Private Third Class
Projects :: is a secret owo
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Re: New Modder - Exporting an object from Softimage 7.5

Post by Needo62 »

there should be a ZE Tools tab next to Display on the top, the msh importer/exporter isnt under File, so it seems like youve installed XSIZETools in the wrong place
hammythepig0

Post by hammythepig0 »

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!
Okay, I'll try again, these are the steps I took in case anything looks off:
1. Choose one of the releases from here and download it.
I downloaded the latest release, "XSIZETools 1.3.18" from https://github.com/Schlechtwetterfront/ ... s/releases
2. If you don't have a Softimage version of 2011 or higher, download and install python and pywin32.
I have version 7.5, which I assumed was higher since this is so old? maybe this is what I have done wrong, i did not install python.
I'll try that.
3. Download and install the Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable. Download both versions by selecting the format and activating the Download button. If the page doesn't automatically navigate to the Visual C++ 2015 redist select Tools for Visual Studio 2015 on the left and then choose Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable.
This link brings me to Visual studio 2019, which I downloaded the Community free version. This could be where I went wrong as well.
I did not run anything after installing this, I just proceeded to step 4.
4. Unzip the downloaded archive into C:/users/%user%/Autodesk/Softimage_%version%/Addons/. In the end, the directory including README.md, xsizet.ver, etc should be C:/Users/%user%/Autodesk/Softimage_2015/Addons/xsizetools/.
I unzipped the folder here: "C:\Users\Andrew\Autodesk\Softimage_Mod_Tool_7.5",
I made a folder called "Addons" so the full path is now "C:\Users\Andrew\Autodesk\Softimage_Mod_Tool_7.5\Addons\xsizetools-1.3.0035"

There was also a folder here: "C:\Softimage\Softimage_Mod_Tool_7.5\Addons", so I copied the xsizetools and added them here too, but that didnt do anything.
Needo62
Private Third Class

Post by Needo62 »

hm yeah unfortunately i remember having trouble getting the tools to appear myself when installing softimage on a different pc, i eventually got it working but i dont know exactly how, i reinstalled stuff a couple times and somehow it showed up eventually

i do remember something about the version of XSIZEtools, softimage 7.5 released in 2009 and checking my hard drive now i see i have xsizetools-1.3.0034

unless someone else comes here and knows exactly whats going on, id say first try installing an older version of XSIZEtools instead, if that doesnt do it then i guess reinstall softimage
hammythepig0

Post by hammythepig0 »

Thanks!

I managed to get it working, went back one version to your version of XSIZEtools, and installed python and pywin, and presto! seems to have worked :)

Thanks very much for your time Needo!

Cheers
Needo62
Private Third Class

Post by Needo62 »

epic np :3