Anybody watching Star Wars: Rebels?!

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: Anybody watching Star Wars: Rebels?!

Post by EraOfDesann »

They are kind of throwing everything at us at once, it seems. The first few seasons of The Clone Wars were all familiar elements, but then it started to take more creative risks as the series progressed and the fanbase grew more solidified, so maybe Rebels will follow that same pattern. My guess is that right now Filoni and the crew are trying to reconcile the disenchanted Clone Wars and Original Trilogy fans by giving them what they know/want, which will ease them into the series and make them more open to original material.
BF2-Master
Captain
Captain

Post by BF2-Master »

When this show was first announced, I had very low expectations. I'll admit part of it probably had to do with the fact we mostly knew the characters from toys, terrible marketing and some really cheesy promotional videos, but I was largely opposed to it's existence. Yet it's been a pleasant surprise watching it's development and it's grown on me a lot. There's little things that bother me a little, but overall it's a much better project than what I was expecting when the Inquisitor action figure and Chopper toy were first unveiled. I think Hera's come out to be my favorite character of the bunch.
I like the show, but there's this undercurrent of "we want to do everything in the original trilogy because that was the cool one" - but they also want to set everything a decade before anything is supposed to happen. There's this icky feeling of fan fiction to the whole thing, because they're not bothering to come up with anything new, conceptually (down to the "let's go back to the McQuarrie mine").
Yeah, I've noticed this a lot, especially when it comes to the visual side of things. I'm honestly getting kind of sick of McQuarrie's designs being re-purposed, because his work is beautiful but because there's a huge galaxy out there and most Star Wars fans by now are familiar with his work. The constant imitation of the original trilogy's style and ideas is bothersome but was expected as soon as Disney bought the franchise. I'm hoping they break out of this more in the second season - I'd definitely like to see more stuff like Mustafar's reference.
I'm a little bummed Rex is going to be a "good guy." I think it'd be a lot more compelling if they didn't just say, "Hey, you know those characters you watched on Clone Wars? Here they are! They're all going to be on team kid Jedi!" If they made Rex Imperial-affiliated (because it's his army and because the 501st marched on the Jedi temple and slaughtered the Jedi), that'd make for some interesting conflict.
I know Filoni has said even if TCW continued, it was always figured Rex would leave the Clone Army before ROTS, thus Appo's introduction on Umbara and I assume why he met deserters two or three times. I definitely think it'd be more compelling to see him portrayed as a villain - indeed, I was a little annoyed at how quickly we jumped into the inevitable idea there aren't clones in the armies anymore - but at the same time, thinking of it as a kids' show, you can't really make Rex a villain and have it work without a lot of build-up, and that's something Rebels can't really offer for him.

I'd still really like to see a clone Stormtrooper or two and explore that. The Clone to Stormtrooper transformation still feels really under-developed to me.
Also, they better have a really good reason to be bringing in A-Wings and B-Wings this early. I'm really not prepared for all the good stories of the 90s to be trampled over all at once.
They've been getting trampled over since Disney bought Star Wars, unfortunately.
It's like a 1,000,000% better than The Clone Wars was when it first started (a lot of fans conveniently forget how terrible the movie and most of the first season was) and that show dramatically improved over time, so I'm excited to see where things go with Rebels. The last three episodes have been excellent and I've heard good things about "Empire Day." The only episode I haven't enjoyed was "Fighter Flight," which was silly and the development between Ezra and Zebb doesn't seem to have carried into the following episodes.
I know this is an old post, but it echoes a lot of my thoughts as well. I got really tired of Zeb and Ezra's fighting and I was glad it subsided in the second half. Also, the first couple episodes of TCW turned me off so hard that I still largely opposed the project until closer to the end of it's run. In general both programs seem to be at their weakest when they try to be more light-hearted and humorous, and this is coming from a writer who generally prefers sitcoms over dramas or action programs. The funny battle droids made me cringe.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

Star Wars Report Podcast #164

Star Wars Celebration Rebels press conference full recording.

http://www.starwarsreport.com/2015/04/2 ... nce-swr-1/
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

Now that season 1 is free 'till Revenge of the 5th, I've begun watching it. I watched the first three episodes last night. It's better than I expected, but I can see why people wouldn't like it, it is definitely on the more childish end. So far, I do not like chopper.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Chopper is the least popular character.

Tiny minor spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Just wait till he murders another astromech (one who had helped the rebels) for no reason other than jealously.
Chadaface
Private

Post by Chadaface »

I like the big picture that's starting to form as the show progresses, but the small things annoy me a whole lot. Things like rebels using A-wings/B-wings, goofy imperial officers, Ahsoka fanwank and the almost abusive use of McQuarrie art.
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

Ok, I finished off Season 1 now. The first half was ok, but kinda cheesy and boring. However, things REALLY picked up after Empire Day, with more much needed character development, and Chopper finally becoming useful. I must say, Lando's appearance was cool, however, he seemed younger than he's supposed to be, and his voice was a bit... off. The finale was totally awesome. I don't care what anyone else says, I like Ahsoka and it was good to see her again. Overall, the show exceeded my expectations. Though I still like TCW better.
JazzMaster
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: Cato Neimoidia- Invasion
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by JazzMaster »

Here's what Dave Filoni said in a recent interview about the A-Wings and B-wing in the trailer. Rest of the interview: http://www.slashfilm.com/dave-filoni-st ... terview/2/
SlashFlim wrote:Very cool. Also noticed in the trailer some A-Wings and B-Wings, which you don’t see too often.

FILONI: No! We jumped right to Jedi, right? With those ships.

Yeah, exactly.We’re just so used to seeing X-Wings or Y-Wings. What was the purpose of that?

FILONI: Right. We felt that, I mean, it’s not like they invented A-Wings and B-Wings for Return of the Jedi. They did in the production, but the Rebels would have had those all along. So we’re trying to focus our cameras in some ways on other groups of Rebels. You know, the Empire, Imperial Fleet disburse in a vain attempt to engage us. You know? So we figured they have spread the Empire out a lot because they’re small groups. So our particular small group happens to have A-Wings as their main fighter instead of X-Wings. X-Wings are like the P51 Mustang. Yeah, you gotta, you get those, you’re lucky.
It's not the first time we've seen at least A-Wings before the original trilogy. There was the R-22 Spearheads in TFU2 which were literally A-Wings with a different name. I think what dave is going for by adding them in the series is really cool and makes sense. Just hope we can see some z95 headhunters in this series.. (I think I might the only star wars fan who likes them :lol: )

Anyway's I loved how season one left off, cant wait for the series to pick up again in a month. :D
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Dave F wrote:I mean, it’s not like they invented A-Wings and B-Wings for Return of the Jedi. They did in the production, but the Rebels would have had those all along.
Right, I totally agree, Dave. There's basically no precedent for a war of heretofore-unparalleled-scale to cause jumps in technology. And even if there, were, I can't imagine why such a war would be drawn into the conversation about Star Wars.

:|

What's weird, Dave, is that you've been pretty respectful of the canon in the past. Bringing Y-Wings and Z-95s into the Clone Wars? Awesome! Folding Darth Bane and Korriban into the series? A-plus (well, A-minus for the "Moriband" misspelling). You can do better, dude. We're looking at a solid ten years before Endor. It took the Empire half as much time to build a second Death Star.

Half the fun of watching the trilogies in sequence is seeing things advance and escalate. We saw Alliance technology jump and advance from "their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire" in Ep IV to their climactic victory in Ep VI. We saw technology move forward from Ep I and scale up radically through II and III as the Clone Wars grew. But sure, why not, everyone has everything all along. Having a consistent tone is for wimps.
Nedarb7
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Nedarb7 »

You make good points, and I don't completely disagree (a little disappointed myself.)

But there have also been many civil wars where technology didn't jump. What I got from the movies is that this is no clone war, both sides are not equally matched. The empire has the technological advantage, since they rule the galaxy. Our rebels need to be cautious with every move in order to keep kicking. It's not like the tech is going to turn the tide of the war, and it could easily hurt them (costs, resources, time, etc.) You take what you get or suffer the consequences.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

While I'm sure that's true, having evidence of the negative doesn't preclude the possibility of the positive (which is all I was really establishing). Filoni's statement (which I'm sure I'm warping a little) implied that - because of whatever factor(s) - it was essentially impossible that the Rebels wouldn't have had all the stuff they had in Return of the Jedi all along. I'm not arguing the opposite (that it's impossible that they had the technology all along), I'm simply arguing that it's possible they didn't, and because of that, there's no reason to ignore all the previously-established stuff that sets things up that way.

Sometimes, of course, you have to step on some toes. The Thrawn trilogy (which is great) makes a few assumptions about clones that have to be stepped on in Episodes I-III (i.e. they assumed the clones were the bad guys and not the good guys). There's no way to tell your story about good clones vs. bad droids without ruffling those feathers. However, there's plenty of room to tell your story about cells of Rebels with different equipment or about cells of Rebels 5BBY without changing a whole lot. It feels capricious to do otherwise, and it comes back to a complaint I keep having about this series - "let's do it now because people liked it in the Original Trilogy!"
ARC1778
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Projects :: WARFRONT + Various Mods for Other Games
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2+RC+RTW MTW NTW
xbox live or psn: AlexisVixie

Post by ARC1778 »

I'm very excited for the next season, the first season, I liked it, Although I think it's way weaker than TCW start, why? There's less blood, less grit, in the first batttle we see in the CW film, it's all low angles, shoulder height, following the clone charge into the droid, as they fell left and right. It didn't hold back on the brutality, Rebels does, TCW also meant that the whole franchise passed the feminiast test much better, with the two most important girls talking, (Asoka, and Padme, about polotics and war no less.) Meaning the first time that two important female characters talk to each other in the canon, isn't mon motha, and Padme (Which didn't make it into the final cut, even if it is still cannon), rebels offers no such thing as leia isn;t involved, yet. She's the same age as pademe in ep.I, So since Bail Organa is there, we might just see her too.

That said: I like it, Sabine is Brilliant, There are so many women, star wars can be a bit of a sausage fest. And Rex scofing at the storm troopers is awesome. XD I really also like that Hondo's back, although seems like less of a pyrate, which makes sence given the empire being, well, the empire.

The Officers being more middle management bullies I like, I always doubted that every imperial officer was: The Force Save The emperor, screw the aliens, most of them seem now just to be in it for the corruption.

I doubt rex would ever fight for the empire, or kill jedi given a. his plot lines, and b. the fact he was taught to be more independant than most troopers, that said, I would love to see clone stormies, such as thire, and Appo, in imperial service.

Ezra's lightsabre having a gun in it is awesome, and protarys the change in the jedi, I also like how light sabres blades follow the thin and slick route, making it seem like a techinical advance, rather than the limits of the OT.

That said, with rouge one coming out, and the whole "all the jedi are dead" by ANH, Ezra, and his master, must die before ANH IMO, and Vader had better Recognise and Kill Ashoka, also more Tarkin, Being the best character in ANH.

So what are your thoughts on the latest episode? Cos I'm off to watch it now. XD

Oh and those are *not* A-wings, they're solid at the front, A wings have and indent.

(P.s. Mod's I am res-ing this topic, as it seems better than what I was going to do which was making a Rebels season two topic, seeing as it's out already)
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

It's kinda quiet in here. Anyone still watching this show? :)
Season 2 has been pretty good I think, the two-part season finale is this Wednesday and some interesting stuff is slated to happen! :D
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

I don't have cable anymore, so I would love to watch it, but I have to wait until it inevitably shows up on Netflix streaming. Or I decide to... ahem... "acquire" it...
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

This season ending 2-parter was awesome and way more than I expected, I got chills at the end! Well done Disney, well done. :D
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

Is Rebels worth watching? I didn't mind some of the later Clone Wars material, but I felt some of it was very childish and not as serious/believable as the movies. Is rebels the same?
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Rebels is still in my opinion not as great as clone wars, but its worth watching past half of the first season and up. You can tell cartoon network wasnt as restricting as disney. People (well stormtroopers) do die, a lot actually though thier havent been very many meaningful deathes yet. Also its like the rebels themselves dont care if thier own soldiers die, but other than that its not a bad show. The season finales of both seasons so far are really great!

Did anyone see the season 2 one hour season finale? Spoiler, do not view if you havent seen it yet.
Hidden/Spoiler:
It seems they still got plans for darth maul. Maybe we will get a maul vs vader show down after all. Also apparently the inquisitors can now fly with helicopter lightsabers.........something dumb in the new EU was bound to pop up eventually.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

Kingpin wrote:Is Rebels worth watching? I didn't mind some of the later Clone Wars material, but I felt some of it was very childish and not as serious/believable as the movies. Is rebels the same?
In short: yes and yes. Rebels is more kid-friendly and they don't really do multi-episode story arcs, which I think is a regrettable decision, but they've got some really stellar stuff in there. Clone Wars was hit or miss (I think Season 4 was the only one that was good from start to finish) and Rebels is about the same.

I'd recommend watching the first season to see how you like it. Episodes 3 and 4 are totally skippable, but the rest range from solid to great.

Season 2 was less consistent since it didn't have much of an overarching story, so there's a lot of meandering and filler material. The premiere and finale, however, are both top-notch and are must-see episodes for anyone who was invested in Clone Wars.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

Powerful music track from the end of "Twilight of the Apprentice"
http://www.starwars.com/audio/star-wars ... -audio-cue

:music: