Anybody watching Star Wars: Rebels?!

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: Anybody watching Star Wars: Rebels?!

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Kingpin wrote:Hired by Darth Vader to get the droids. As we find out in Empire, he did hire him before.

I mean, in this instance are we completely ignoring all of the books in this theory of yours, or what? I mean if we are, then fine, but the books clarified who killed Owen and Aunt Beru back in 1995.

Also, Boba Fett is never seen using a flamethrower in the Orig Trig, it's only loosely implied he used some device in the past capable of incineration.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

It's like a 1,000,000% better than The Clone Wars was when it first started (a lot of fans conveniently forget how terrible the movie and most of the first season was) and that show dramatically improved over time, so I'm excited to see where things go with Rebels. The last three episodes have been excellent and I've heard good things about "Empire Day." The only episode I haven't enjoyed was "Fighter Flight," which was silly and the development between Ezra and Zebb doesn't seem to have carried into the following episodes. The weakest link thus far is Chopper. His antics hurt the show so I hope he gets blown up at some point or at the very least gets reprogrammed. The idea of an anti-social astromech is funny, in theory, but for that to work he also has to be competent at his duties -- Chopper just antagonizes the crew and puts them in danger, so why is he there?

Overall I'm really enjoying it and I look forward to its evolution.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

THEWULFMAN wrote:
Kingpin wrote:Hired by Darth Vader to get the droids. As we find out in Empire, he did hire him before.

I mean, in this instance are we completely ignoring all of the books in this theory of yours, or what? I mean if we are, then fine, but the books clarified who killed Owen and Aunt Beru back in 1995.

Also, Boba Fett is never seen using a flamethrower in the Orig Trig, it's only loosely implied he used some device in the past capable of incineration.
Theory: disproved :(
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

The quote is "No disintegrations," anyway.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Just watched Empire Day, it was good.

Spoilers:
Hidden/Spoiler:
I liked seeing the TIE Advanced V1 prototype. While its ability to fold its wings didn't make it into the version Vader flew in ANH, there's no rule to say early versions couldn't have used it. I thought it was interesting to find out that Ezra was born on the day that 'democracy died.'
squipple
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by squipple »

The style of this new show is ok. I like some of the textures that vary from Clone Wars, but the writing for this show is just not good at all. The dialog is laughable at times, and the situations are silly (why drop off walkers and troopers when you have a flying ship with giant cannons?)

Even though the Clone Wars was more directed at kids, the quality of writing was great I thought. The last 3 episodes of the Clone Wars (the ones about Yoda - released on Netflix) were downright movie worthy.
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

But only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

I finally got caught up with this series and must say I really enjoyed the "Fire across the galaxy" episode, it looks like things are ramping up from here. :thumbs:

EDIT
Anyone know what the name of this vehicle is?
Hidden/Spoiler:
It appeared in the "Call to action" episode and looks like an Imperial version of the Republic Gunship.

EDIT2
OK it looks like a repurposed Republic/Coruscant Police Gunship from TCW
Hidden/Spoiler:
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

For those who watched Fire Across the Galaxy, the season finale, I'll say one thing.

THEY DID THE THING.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

:D They totally did! The fight scene was also impressive!
Hidden/Spoiler:
anyone else think the inquisitor was kinda short lived? maybe we will see him again.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
anyone else think the inquisitor was kinda short lived? maybe we will see him again.
Hidden/Spoiler:
I'm someone who watches Arrow, The Flash, and Agents of SHIELD.

I'll believe he's dead when I see his corpse and he's pronounced dead by a professional doctor, and then his atoms are scattered into a sun.

Till then he's just MIA.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

Season 2 trailer!

Oh. My. God.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I was getting excited and everything, watching the trailer.

THEN REX SHOWED UP AND I SHOUTED A BIT TOO LOUD FOR 3AM HOUSEHOLDS.

AND THEN HONDO.

10/10
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

I'm a little bummed Rex is going to be a "good guy." I think it'd be a lot more compelling if they didn't just say, "Hey, you know those characters you watched on Clone Wars? Here they are! They're all going to be on team kid Jedi!" If they made Rex Imperial-affiliated (because it's his army and because the 501st marched on the Jedi temple and slaughtered the Jedi), that'd make for some interesting conflict.

Also, they better have a really good reason to be bringing in A-Wings and B-Wings this early. I'm really not prepared for all the good stories of the 90s to be trampled over all at once.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

In regards to Rex, I feel like The Clone Wars did a pretty good job of establishing that he wouldn't fold into the Empire. The Deserter, Umbara, and Fives story arcs definitely set that up. If the show had gotten to continue, and we'd gotten to see that play out, he probably wouldn't feel so shoe-horned in. Him being Imperial-affiliated would be compelling, though I don't know how the Empire would use him, given his apparently advanced age. Maybe an officer, I guess? But we already have Kallus.

Excited for Hondo's return as well, though his design has experienced a major downgrade from Clone Wars. Yikes. Why can't George Lucas funnel some of his funds into this show, too?

The new inquisitors look cool, and remind me of the Dark Side Adepts. I can't tell what species the big guy is, but he looks like another Pau'an, which makes me wonder if he has some sort of relation to the original inquisitor. I've read speculation that the female one is Barriss, but I prefer the theory that it's the missing Leonis sister mentioned in "Breaking Ranks."

Best part? James Earl Jones is actually voicing Vader. I got chills during the "your master has deceived you" line.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Maveritchell wrote:Also, they better have a really good reason to be bringing in A-Wings and B-Wings this early. I'm really not prepared for all the good stories of the 90s to be trampled over all at once.
Yeah that's about the only thing I didn't like in the new trailer. Why couldn't we have just gotten Z-95s instead of A-Wings? Maybe, just maybe, those are R-22 Spearheads instead of A-wings. One can hope, right? But the B-wing has no business being there at all.
EraOfDesann wrote:I've read speculation that the female one is Barriss

Oh god please no. It better not be. I already hate the last 4 episodes of season 5 because of the poor writing in regards to Barriss as it is.
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

Yeah, I like that story arc but the character assassination of Barriss really hurts it. And her becoming an inquisitor wouldn't make much sense, anyways. As I said, I hope it's the Leonis sister. The mask definitely seems to indicate that the character's identity is of some importance. Or not. Maybe a masked inquisitor is just easier to animate or looks cool. *shrug*

The giant green worm monster that they fight on that desert planet looks a lot like the Dagobah boss from Super Empire Strikes Back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1caA6vzSUCE&t=0m30s
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Talk about a blast from the past.

Yeah the Leonis sister sounds like a good, preferable idea.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

THEWULFMAN wrote:Yeah that's about the only thing I didn't like in the new trailer. Why couldn't we have just gotten Z-95s instead of A-Wings? Maybe, just maybe, those are R-22 Spearheads instead of A-wings. One can hope, right? But the B-wing has no business being there at all.
The A-Wings are almost certainly going to be A-Wings, because we can't have nice things. They're a straight copy of McQuarrie's A-Wing concept (like half of everything else in the show).
Ref. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:MCQ-awing.jpg

The B-Wing is probably being presented as a prototype being stolen (based on the scenes in the trailer). That's a little more palatable-ish.

I like the show, but there's this undercurrent of "we want to do everything in the original trilogy because that was the cool one" - but they also want to set everything a decade before anything is supposed to happen. There's this icky feeling of fan fiction to the whole thing, because they're not bothering to come up with anything new, conceptually (down to the "let's go back to the McQuarrie mine").
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Good thing I'm a complete sucker for McQuarrie and I'm easy to please when it comes to that.

I do want more originality. But they're probably a bit afraid to do that. When they'd try new things in The Clone Wars, they just got criticized for it.