Force Awakens in Theaters (all spoilers here!)

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

TheMastermindOfMaom
Private First Class
Projects :: None.
xbox live or psn: #PCMasterRace

Re: Force Awakens in Theaters (all spoilers here!)

Post by TheMastermindOfMaom »

So from 1/10 how much would you rate it? 3?
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

guru wrote:The non Jedi fighting a trained Swordsman in any scene should have resulted in dead non Jedi that goes for both main characters who use the Luke saber. The storm trooper should have been killed easily by the melee weapon trooper and yes sorry the girl was going against a lifetime trained lightsaber user she would have been insta wiped. Luke blood or not.
Several things wrong here. First, we don't know Rey is not a Jedi. In fact, it was fairly obvious to me that she was hinted as Luke's daughter, as he would have begun to train her and, when Ren went rogue, abandoned her to save her, not unlike Luke after Order 66. Also, Rey is force sensitive, so using a lightsaber isn't that ridiculous. Rey also had a huge history with melee combat using her staff on Jakku. Did you see her beat up those thugs? Also note that Luke Skywalker used a lightsaber with very minimal training and managed to but up a fight against Vader. Lastly, Kylo Ren was, first of all, only an apprentice to Snoke and was not fully trained, something the movie frequently brought up. Ren was also severely wounded after being shot by Chewbaca's bowcaster, which managed to send Stormtroopers into the air.
guru wrote:Han died and that's ok he had his run and paying 50 times what any other actor made isn't worth the 28 minutes of "I have a bad feeling" and the "woman can't fly ships" 1950s attitude. Bbyehan. . . Chewbacca. Rip. The old Chewie was tough and fearless this new version is emo and sucks, ruined the experience when Chewie is "cold" and talking up his battle wounds for attention from human ladies? Just ewww
So, you are mad at Han Solo for being the same character but mad at Chewbaca for changing? I would also like to note that you coin the terms "emo" and "cold", when Chewbaca was still himself. I thought the dialogue with the nurse was hysterical. And Chewie was still tough and fearless, as he went berzerk on those stormtroopers after Han died.
TheMastermindOfMaom
Private First Class
Projects :: None.
xbox live or psn: #PCMasterRace

Post by TheMastermindOfMaom »

Ren was also wounded by Finn when he cut him in the shoulder.
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

I watched this the other day and I personally did not think I would like the new movie but I ended up really liking this. Kylo Ren's lightsaber looking like that of a sword was a pretty awesome idea. When this movie went on I always thought the Fin (the stormtrooper) was the one who had force sensitivities but I would have never guessed it was Rey who had the force sensitivities. I was pretty upset that at the end of the movie they killed off Han Solo, I was pretty upset but maybe it was for the greater good. Maybe there will be/are conspiracy theories to how Han Solo survived the assassination by his son but I highly doubt it.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

I agree with guru. Then again my first time I watched it in 3D and my eyes kept having to just to some parts. Fun B+ movie, leans more on ANH then it should. Glad that they will have a different director for the next one. You guys buy any of the toys? Lord knows I did :P
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

I don't usually watch movies at the theater, but I had to for this one last night. Although it did borrow a lot in terms of plot points from the Original Trilogy, I absolutely loved this movie! :D No major complaints at all from me. I thought everything was great; the characters, the action, the humor, the pacing, the fan service, just all of it. Not a single boring moment!

I do have to agree about the 360 shot near the end being not very Star Wars-like. And while I thought the humor was nicely done, some of the dialogue felt too "Whedon-y" for a Star Wars movie. Very minor nitpicks, though.

So glad I got to see it because now I can read all the spoilers and theories I want! I'm really liking the theory that Supreme Leader Snoke could possibly be Darth Plagueis the Wise. :o Now that could be interesting.

EDIT: I genuinely thought they were going to pull another Porkins with that large X-Wing pilot in the end.
FragMe!
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Not sure keep changing my mind.
Games I'm Playing :: F1 and SWBF

Post by FragMe! »

I agree about Porkins. I also had a quick thought that Rey was going to cut off Ren's hand after he got knocked down to the ground, glad they didn't do that.

The funniest thing that popped into my mind while watching the big speech part in front of all the stormtroopers was the priest from Princess Bride, Wuv true Wuv. Don't know why must of been something in the voice.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

Just saw it in "IMAX"front row movie theater woo, and I am very satisfied. As has been said here, it did resemble EP4 greatly, and while I was watching I predicted that some main character from the old trilogy had to die, so I decided it would be Han Solo. And it was. Everything was awesome except for that last shot at the end with the helicopter, ugh. They should've ended it earlier.

Definitely got the Star Wars feel from it, and it feels awesome.

What's up with Ken's lightsaber? It looks like he handcrafted it, and the beam doesn't look as nice as a real lightsaber. Probably had to make it after the sith fell and there weren't any red sabers around.

10/10, can't wait for the next one! :D
negah
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by negah »

Watched and enjoyed it two times now.

From the old crew both Han and Chewie actually turned out good, Han became one of the leading characters for the time he lived in the movie IMO.
A little kid screamed deep inside me when I saw him getting killed although Ive seen it coming.
Leia was just painfull to look at and I think they could've finish the movie with Rey and Chewie flying away in search for Luke and move the last scene to the next movie.

As for Kylo Ren character, I think it was very much the intention of the filmmakers for the audience to hate the character.
He had his badass moments the first half of the movie, then he turned into a very troubled character plagued with self doubt.
It is also good that they didnt turn him into another Vader, although he clearly wants to be one.
Vader was doing evil stuff on a grand scale starting with ep2 (tusken village) but no one really hated him.
Ren happens to have big ears, destroy a couple of computers, and kill that old dude and Han and everybody loses his mind. Well done!
Also him getting beaten by Rey, we have to remember that he was wounded by Chewie and Finn and he has just killed his father, which still has struck him pychologically.
In the duel scene at the end he had a face of a madman. Also look how he lacks those sith eyes.
I dont think there will be a redemption for him like there was for Vader.
I really liked the final duel, not so much choreography like in the prequels but more of brutal hacking and slashing at each other and it was great.

General Hux was a bit of a disappointment. He was kinda more of a villain than Ren but first he is too young for a General (seriously his lieutenants looked older) and second they have overdone it with screaming and Hitler references.
Remember how Tarkin has playfully ordered the destruction of Alderaan in front of Leia? Hux cant simply compare. But then again, perhaps they didnt want to have another Tarkin.

It is interesting though that while Vader and Tarkin had mutual respect towards each other, Ren and Hux arent exactly fond of each other. Id like to see how it turns out later.

Things I disliked:
- basically a remake of ANH with lots of quotes from ESB and RotJ.
- no memorable music.

P.S.:
Snoke is kind of a mystery now, but I like how he keeps a cool head most of the time while Hux and Ren try to mock each other.
That Darth Plagueis theory is very interesting, if its true it would be great to know what he thinks of his former pupil who happened to rule the galaxy.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

negah wrote:Things I disliked:
- no memorable music.
I hate that I keep seeing this pop up from both my friends and across the internet.

1) Half of the themes in the new movie were reused themes from the old movies. Leia's Theme especially comes to mind.

2) You've seen this movie twice. Most people have only seen it once. Compare that to how many times we've seen the other Star Wars movies, not to mention how many video games, pop culture references, commercials, etc etc etc have used those themes. The OT has 30+ years of memories attached to it, the PT has 10+. Give it time, the new trilogy's music will start to become memorable.

I got the TFA soundtrack for Chirstmas, and personally, Rey's Theme (starts about 1 min into the second track entitled "The Scavenger") has become pretty memorable to me. But again, there are clear influences from other pieces of Star Wars scores scattered in that track.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:2) You've seen this movie twice. Most people have only seen it once. Compare that to how many times we've seen the other Star Wars movies, not to mention how many video games, pop culture references, commercials, etc etc etc have used those themes. The OT has 30+ years of memories attached to it, the PT has 10+. Give it time, the new trilogy's music will start to become memorable.
Nicely stated, Twi! :applause:
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

No memorable music? I disagree. I really love Rey's theme. Kylo Ren's theme is appropriately sinister. The only issue I took was with Snoke's theme sounding too much like Palpatine's Teachings from Episode 3. Oh, and Scherzo for X-Wings as they just slap the Star Wars theme in there.
Last edited by giftheck on Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
negah
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by negah »

ggctuk wrote:No memorable music? I disagree. I really love Rey's theme. Kylo Ren's theme is appropriately sinister. The only issue I took was with Snoke's theme sounding too much like Palpatine's Teachings from Epiaode 3. Oh, and Scherzo for X-Wings as they just slap the Star Wars theme in there.
Ok Ive just listened to the soundtrack and I agree that Rey's and Kylo Ren's themes are indeed great, theyre are also the ones I somewhat remember.
Listening to the soundtrack separated from the movie allows you to appreciate the music more.
However when watching the PQ there were tracks that stood out immediately, like droid army theme, duel of the fates, order 66 and so on.
There were of course some reused tracks from OT too.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

ggctuk wrote:The only issue I took was with Snoke's theme sounding too much like Palpatine's Teachings from Epiaode 3.
Perhaps that was intentionally done for a reason... :wink: (I'm sure you heard or read somewhere before that this is possibly evidence of Snoke and Darth Plagueis being the same character)
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

The only way they could really do that, I think, is if Plagueis abandoned the Sith after Sidious' attempted murder of him because Sidious was supposed to be the last of the Sith. I could see that happening: Plagueis finding a 'higher power' than the Sith. However, Snoke doesn't appear to be a Muun (though his species is now Legends and has not been confirmed in any canonical source since)
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

This movie is great! No doubt. I still remember all the faces of thousands of Star Wars fans when they heard Disney bought all the Star Wars rights. And now most are surprised. Me included. There was no Mickey Mouse, no Goofy, no Jar Jar Binks. I am happy. And can't wait to see the movie on Blu-Ray.

What about that Darth Plagueis theory? I thought he was killed by Palpatine. Or was that just a hoax by him when telling this story to Anakin? or did I miss something?
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Well, Palpatine has form for lying to get what he wants. It's a possibility. Or there's a possibility that Plagueis only feigned death.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

With the discussion of the music: I think part of the reason TFA's score doesn't seem as "memorable" is that there aren't any big themes that can stand on their own as a concert suite. By that I mean pieces like these:

Episode I: Duel of the Fates
Episode II: Across the Stars
Episode III: Battle of the Heroes
Episode IV: Princess Leia's Theme
Episode V: Imperial March
Episode VI: Luke and Leia + Battle of Endor Suite

I remember reading somewhere that George Lucas wanted John Williams to introduce a big new theme for each film, something that would really stand out. It seems that wasn't the case for Episode VII, maybe because Lucas didn't have that influence. The score introduces some new character themes and motifs that I imagine will be explored more in Episodes VIII and IX, but there aren't any grand, sweeping concert pieces. "Rey's Theme" is maybe the closest thing to that.

The more I listen to the soundtrack, the more I like it. I think it will take some time to digest before I decide how exactly it compares to the others (although it will never surpass my love for the scores of Episodes V and VI).

The two disappointments I have with TFA's score are:
-The trailers had some gorgeous music that never appeared in the film.
-The rendition of The Force theme at the end (in the oh-so-lovely helicopter shot) seemed rushed - as though it was intended to have a slower tempo to linger on the theme more, but had to be performed faster to keep up with the scene. That's really the nail in the coffin for that scene. Could have been a lovely, emotional moment if handled differently. I wish the helicopter shot had been edited out, and the score written a little differently to give the Force theme more weight.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Rey's Theme is a concert suite, as is March Of The Resistance and Scherzo for X-Wings. Some say the Snoke track on the album is a concert suite too.
Last edited by giftheck on Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

I watched it today in 3D. And I need to tell you that I went in with just 2 spoiler:
1. Fin is the son of Lando (there was a puzzle on amazon) - fake!
2. I ignored this threat. Just clicked it to make it look read. But one time I opened all unread threat and haven't noticed that I'm in the spoiler thread. Reading just two words: Chewie and rip. From guru. I closed the tab quickly. So I thought Chewie dies. And: FAKE!!!

I read months ago that ford wanted Lucas to let solo die. So I already thought that he will.

About the movie:
I think it is too much copy from the old. Even the lightsaber battle (I don't like it. Only Jedi are allowed to use a lightsaber. And solo to kill taun taunts XD. No serious this battle was nothing against Anakin vs obi-wan or the ep2 battles) was copied at one scene from ep3. You know?? I think jmmy had this scene as avatar.
Story was a bit too straight, too. About the music discussion. I came out of the movie and thought "mh no new music. Just remakes". So I think i'll listen to the soundtrack again. (I love across the stars :D)

So my favorite is still ep2/3. The story around Anakin/padme, jar jar, the music and the lightsabers. It was simply something complete new than ep4-6. But ep7 is just a copy.

But after all complain:
The 3D was awesome. Never saw such great effects. I felt like being in the massacre from jakku, the star destroyer standing in the middle of the theater and at the end I wanted to take the lightsaber given by rey.