Force Awakens in Theaters (all spoilers here!)

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: Force Awakens in Theaters (all spoilers here!)

Post by AQT »

Anakin wrote:So my favorite is still ep2/3. The story around Anakin/padme, jar jar
Nice joke. :wink:
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Anakin wrote:So my favorite is still ep2/3. The story around Anakin/padme, jar jar
Haha! That's an excellent joke! Image
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

:angel: ähm yes a joke actually no. I know the prequels are not very popular, but i like this dramatic atmosphere between anakin and padme. Everyone knows what anakin turns to and that this won't have a good ending. And i like the theme :D
ARCTroopaNate
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront - Tides of War
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 RC EAW
xbox live or psn: I have ps4

Post by ARCTroopaNate »

I personally feel that the criticisms leveled at the TFA music is shortsighted. Star Wars music is so enjoyable to us as fans because we associate it with such positive feelings, moments from the movies. TFA hasn't had the time to to build those feelings yet. As someone who's listened to the music a lot in the past couple weeks, I have to say that I think it's fantastic, and at some point in the future, might be looked at the best of the seven.

Note: I don't know jack about music, just my opinion.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

Eggman wrote: Episode I: Duel of the Fates
Episode II: Across the Stars
Episode III: Battle of the Heroes
Episode IV: Princess Leia's Theme
Episode V: Imperial March
Episode VI: Luke and Leia + Battle of Endor Suite
I disagree with your ep IV choice. I'd say it is the throne room theme.
ARCTroopaNate wrote:I personally feel that the criticisms leveled at the TFA music is shortsighted. Star Wars music is so enjoyable to us as fans because we associate it with such positive feelings, moments from the movies. TFA hasn't had the time to to build those feelings yet. As someone who's listened to the music a lot in the past couple weeks, I have to say that I think it's fantastic, and at some point in the future, might be looked at the best of the seven.

Note: I don't know jack about music, just my opinion.
Maybe you are right.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

You guys know that Eggman has like a degree in music-ology (or something like that), right? I mean, it's fine that you disagree (though having played both of them in concert, I will say that Battle of Endor makes a MUCH better concert suite than the Emperor's Throne Room), but he kinda has a point.
BF2-Master
Captain
Captain

Post by BF2-Master »

I've never had more mixed feelings on a film. I really enjoyed myself at the theater (mostly) but when I look at the long game... I shake my head a bit. The galaxy feels smaller to me, somehow.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:You guys know that Eggman has like a degree in music-ology (or something like that), right? I mean, it's fine that you disagree (though having played both of them in concert, I will say that Battle of Endor makes a MUCH better concert suite than the Emperor's Throne Room), but he kinda has a point.
:oops: Just wanted to say that i think the throne room theme is a more memorable song. But i wrote Ep IV not Ep VI. I mean Leia's theme is not that memorable than the Rebel Throne Room theme ;)
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

OOooooooohhhh that one. I know it as "Victory March"
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

AAAaaaaahhhhhh :D Youtube said Throne Room Theme
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:OOooooooohhhh that one. I know it as "Victory March"
You're talking about Mendelssohn's Wedding March, right? Actually, I think my soundtrack CD lists it as "The Throne Room/End Title," which is where the idea of "Throne Room Theme" comes from, I'm sure. "Emperor's Throne Room" is a whole separate track. Lots of thrones in this Star War.

(Besides, this is all crazy talk. "Binary Sunset" is clearly the most memorable theme from IV.)
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

:D Actually now that I think of it I don't think john williams scores were as strong in TFA than in the other films. I mean say what you want about the prequels but you gotta admit duel of the fates, across the stars and battle of the heroes jumped at you. I just saw the movie again yesterday to see if I missed anything and while I was able to pay more attention to the sounds tracks used, nothing stood out as much.

I don't know why the starkiller base bothers me so much.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Maveritchell wrote:
Twilight_Warrior wrote:OOooooooohhhh that one. I know it as "Victory March"
You're talking about Mendelssohn's Wedding March, right? Actually, I think my soundtrack CD lists it as "The Throne Room/End Title," which is where the idea of "Throne Room Theme" comes from, I'm sure. "Emperor's Throne Room" is a whole separate track. Lots of thrones in this Star War.

(Besides, this is all crazy talk. "Binary Sunset" is clearly the most memorable theme from IV.)
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Throne_Room

"The Throne Room, or Victory March, is a song written by John Williams and performed by the London Symphony Orchestra."
I guess no one's technically wrong. It's just a weird misunderstanding... I also can't remember where I know it as "Victory March" from, because my CD says The Throne Room/End Title, too... It might've just been called Victory March at the top of my music sheet when I played it in high school
TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:I don't know why the starkiller base bothers me so much.
Probably because it's the third time the Empire (sorry, First Order) has tried that tactic. "Okay, it didn't work last time, but what if we made it bigger?" I think Han put it best. "How do we blow it up? There's always a way to blow it up, right?" Like it's just old hat now.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

I hope they do not build an other deathstar in the following movies. You can say what you want about the prequel but it was a complete new story.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Anakin wrote:I hope they do not build an other deathstar in the following movies. You can say what you want about the prequel but it was a complete new story.
I think the best thing do do would be for the next superweapon (yes, they're not likely to have built just the one - after all, DSII was being built at the same time DSI was operational) to be Force-related in some way.
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

I always wonder where the Empire (Or F.O.) got the money to build their superweapons. Or all that metal. And how did they manage to build a superweapon into the core of a dwarf planet? How is that possible. Do they print their own money to buy and pay all the things like sources, workers etc.?
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

thelegend wrote:I always wonder where the Empire (Or F.O.) got the money to build their superweapons. Or all that metal. And how did they manage to build a superweapon into the core of a dwarf planet? How is that possible. Do they print their own money to buy and pay all the things like sources, workers etc.?
Can you imagine the imperator in the supermarket at the cashpoint?? I'm sure he simply takes what he needs :D

The only thing i wonder is where to they get all the people?? If you can explore an star destroyer with the falcon, how do they fill it with people? And if they managed to fill one, where do they get the people for the deathstar?? If they would still use clones, ok. But they don't.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Anakin wrote:The only thing i wonder is where to they get all the people?? If you can explore an star destroyer with the falcon, how do they fill it with people? And if they managed to fill one, where do they get the people for the deathstar?? If they would still use clones, ok. But they don't.
The Star Wars galaxy is a big place with a population of sentient beings way much greater than the Earth. I'm sure there are plenty of people to serve the Empire/First Order without the need of clones or droids.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

thelegend wrote:I always wonder where the Empire (Or F.O.) got the money to build their superweapons. Or all that metal. And how did they manage to build a superweapon into the core of a dwarf planet? How is that possible. Do they print their own money to buy and pay all the things like sources, workers etc.?
You know thats a good point. With the empire they had the funds to do that becuase they were the central government and where the central power for 20 years. Last time I checked the empire was pushed back and were pushed into hiding for 30 years without that kind of support.
Jaspo
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: AotC DoW+++Boonta Eve Classic
Games I'm Playing :: WoT MBWBVC Robocraft

Post by Jaspo »

First of all, a few random notes re: above musings from various people:

a) The...person...in Princess Bride isn't a "priest" per se; I distinctly recall the end credits labeling him as a "distinguished clergyman" (lol. maiwwage.)
b) It may have been John Williams, in some extended feature business with the trilogy re-release, who stated that if movie music is done right, you don't notice it at all. That's how it was for me, and that could be why a lot of people don't think the music is as good; in a lot of places it blended with the scenes so well that they didn't even hear it as a seperate thing.
c) Yes, I too got some Wall-E vibes from BB-8, and the name's a bit lame (BB; round...kind of like the Ep I DUM pit droids) ...but all in all its a fine little droid.

It was a good, Star Wars, movie, for the most part. I think what bothers me the most about it though is something people haven't mentioned yet; JJ's extreme liberty taking with hyperspace.
Referring specifically to
a) jumping from in a hanger
and
b) exiting inside an atmosphere

As Han stated clearly in the OT, hyperspace jumps are a complicated affair that require a good deal of time to do properly, or else you'll probably jump right into an interstellar flaming bantha or something.

Fortunately, since I have a very boring job that gives me plenty of time to think about nothing in particular, I've dedicated myself somewhat to the classic pursuit of making up excuses for Star Wars silly spots. So here you go, JJ:

Re: jumping to hyperspace from in a hanger
If you toss aside the previous notion that you can't hyperjump from in a gravity well and instead just say that you can't jump while held in a tractor beam, you still have some problems to work out, even presuming that it doesn't break anything to run through hanger or planetary shields (or atmospheres) at lightspeed. First, it's perhaps questionable that the nav computer could calculate coordinates from within an enclosed space, second, this would've taken some time if it were possible. I'm thinking that perhaps instead, they simply compared the immediate and very real threat of an alien chewing through their cockpit to the still significant risk of a very short blind jump into hyperspace (overriding the nav computer and the need to take time for coordinates) and decided on the latter and got away with it. Question though; apparently those aliens can survive in space? because otherwise all they had to do was fly outside the hanger with the thing attached and it would fry/freeze/suffocate/whatever else (would the vacuum of space make an organism explode?) and just fall off, problem solved.

Re: exiting hyperspace inside a planet's atmosphere
If dependent on human action as the movie seems to portray, this would be, undoubtably, a physical impossibility. Light speed. However, aren't hyperspace calculations handled entirely by the nav computer? And if so, what were they doing with that whole hands-on timing thing? Well, here's my more plausible theory. First of all, no doubt its a risky thing to do even with a nav computer, since tolerances in technology concerning such long distances are probably measureable in miles rather than meters. But its nonetheless a brilliant idea if it works. So, here's what they were frantically doing in the cockpit then:
Spaceships are programmed to switch automatically between space and atmospheric handling (2 entirely different control sets) upon entering or exiting a planet's atmosphere. However, by default they will be set to space handling upon exiting hyperspace, and there is no alternative programmed into the nav computer because nobody in their right mind would try to exit hyperspace inside an atmosphere. So, what they had to do was manually override the handling setting to set them to atmospheric handling more or less at the same time the nav computer exited the ship from hyperspace inside the atmosphere. They hit the override button just before exiting hyperspace, and a fraction of a second later, after exiting hyperspace, the sublight engines engaged, with the ship set to atmospheric handling. If they pressed it too soon, they would've been too long in open space set to atmospheric handling, kind of like a bike without its handlebars, and they would've drifted from the hyperspace coordinates, and if they pressed it too late they wouldn't have been able to effectively control the ship soon enough in the atmosphere and would've crashed, which they almost did anyway.

Hope you thoroughly enjoyed my excuses, its always fun trying to make Star Wars more plausible!