Squadron Sizes - Lore

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

ARC1778
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Projects :: WARFRONT + Various Mods for Other Games
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2+RC+RTW MTW NTW
xbox live or psn: AlexisVixie

Squadron Sizes - Lore

Post by ARC1778 »

Can someone tell me how many of each fighter/bomber/craft there are in a standard squadron?

The LAAT/I is 3
Hyena Bombers and HMPs are 4 but other than that, I'm a bit lost, any info would be useful THanks.
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Re: Squadron Sizes - Lore

Post by commanderawesome »

Wookieepedia wrote:The most common make up for starfighter squadrons was 12 ships.
ARC1778
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by ARC1778 »

commanderawesome wrote:
Wookieepedia wrote:The most common make up for starfighter squadrons was 12 ships.

ah, but common =/= Accurate for eveything, what I'm calling squadrons, I think I mean Troops, so a squadron of 12 could be two troops of 6, 6 troops of 2, 3 troops of 4 (standard IRL), 4 troops of 3, etc.

I have a pretty good idea from the movies and other media, but with the exception of Geonosis, Kassykk, and a few CW episodes, there's not really much to be said about what's standard, and what's due to combat losses.

12 might be the most common formation, but not necessarily accurate for every vehicle, although I'm tempted to believe that's the right number for republic y-wings.

This is me looking forward to vehicle spawns, so I know 3 Laat/i need to be roughly equal to 4 HMPs. For example.

(Squadron is most used in civvy speak, but in infantry terms, it's a platoon, and the troop is the section/squad)
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander

I know that X-wing and TIE Fighter squadrons are 12. I believe that's also the case for Republic Y-Wings. I think V-19 and ARC-170 squadrons may be less, at least based on evidence from EP3 and TCW. I think B-Wing squadrons may be smaller, too. For LAATs i think it's about three or four, we don't often see larger groups of them than that. Vulture Droids and other CIS fighters tend to use swarm tactics similar to TIEs, so I'd expect larger squadrons for them. Hope that helps.
ARC1778
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by ARC1778 »

commanderawesome wrote:I know that X-wing and TIE Fighter squadrons are 12. I believe that's also the case for Republic Y-Wings. I think V-19 and ARC-170 squadrons may be less, at least based on evidence from EP3 and TCW. I think B-Wing squadrons may be smaller, too. For LAATs i think it's about three or four, we don't often see larger groups of them than that. Vulture Droids and other CIS fighters tend to use swarm tactics similar to TIEs, so I'd expect larger squadrons for them. Hope that helps.
Just three x-wings did the death-star trench run right? i'm thinking they are all 12, but they split into formations, such as tri-attack, you don't want large number of anything together after 1850 historically, so I'm leaning towards the idea that a squadron is equivalent to an infantry squad, and can be sub-divided at will, an there are no majors, or corporals in the GAR, so it wouldn't surprise me.

V-19s in the 2003 clone wars come in massive formations, but the flypast at the end of RC is just 4. Hense the idea above, going to ask on a more lore focused SW form too though.
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander

ARC1778 wrote: Just three x-wings did the death-star trench run right? i'm thinking they are all 12, but they split into formations, such as tri-attack, you don't want large number of anything together after 1850 historically, so I'm leaning towards the idea that a squadron is equivalent to an infantry squad, and can be sub-divided at will,
That sounds right. Red Squadron was at least 11 fighters based on dialoge from ANH, but different fighters were assigned different tasks, with Red leader, 2 (Wedge) and 3 (Biggs) (and later Red 5 (Luke)) assigned to the trench.
ARC1778 wrote:an there are no majors, or corporals in the GAR, so it wouldn't surprise me.
There are Clone Corporals IIRC. There are Colonels and Majors in the GAR, too, but they aren't clones.
ARC1778 wrote:V-19s in the 2003 clone wars come in massive formations, but the flypast at the end of RC is just 4. Hense the idea above, going to ask on a more lore focused SW form too though.
The 2003 Clone Wars series showed huge formations of everything.

EDIT: Apparently, there are clone majors. The problem is "commander" isn't a rank in real-world armies. With that in mind, and the fact that clones cannot achieve any rank higher than "marshal commander", i thought major was placed after, not before. Colonel, however, does come after, and therefore is only given to non-clone officers.

I think the bigger problem would be getting the AI vehicles to organize into squadrons. I am not sure how AI goals work with vehicles, if at all.
ARC1778
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by ARC1778 »

commanderawesome wrote:
ARC1778 wrote: Just three x-wings did the death-star trench run right? i'm thinking they are all 12, but they split into formations, such as tri-attack, you don't want large number of anything together after 1850 historically, so I'm leaning towards the idea that a squadron is equivalent to an infantry squad, and can be sub-divided at will,
That sounds right. Red Squadron was at least 11 fighters based on dialoge from ANH, but different fighters were assigned different tasks, with Red leader, 2 (Wedge) and 3 (Biggs) (and later Red 5 (Luke)) assigned to the trench.
ARC1778 wrote:an there are no majors, or corporals in the GAR, so it wouldn't surprise me.
There are Clone Corporals IIRC. There are Colonels and Majors in the GAR, too, but they aren't clones.
ARC1778 wrote:V-19s in the 2003 clone wars come in massive formations, but the flypast at the end of RC is just 4. Hense the idea above, going to ask on a more lore focused SW form too though.
The 2003 Clone Wars series showed huge formations of everything.

EDIT: Apparently, there are clone majors. The problem is "commander" isn't a rank in real-world armies. With that in mind, and the fact that clones cannot achieve any rank higher than "marshal commander", i thought major was placed after, not before. Colonel, however, does come after, and therefore is only given to non-clone officers.

I think the bigger problem would be getting the AI vehicles to organize into squadrons. I am not sure how AI goals work with vehicles, if at all.

Commanders are in real-word armies, just not english, or french speaking ones, other than group commanders, but germans have commanders I think.

Commanders are a Royal Navy Rank, and are given to officers who are given command of their own vessel where it is smaller than a ship of the line, (think of a battleship as the smallest SotL), so for instance, the commanders of submarines are commanders, as subs are boats not ships.

This suggests to me that commanders are really colonels and above but called commanders as they have ships under their command, clone colonels might exist, in SoB ranks if SoB have no ships, note if.

Further more there are several ranks of each "colour code" which confuses me greatly.

Green is for ALL NCO Ranks
Blue for all Junior Ranks
Red for all Senior ranks
Yellow for all Field Ranks

When I got the 2005 Encyclopedia there were only commanders, captain, lts, and srg, I never re-checked, I'm glad it's updated though.

P.s. I wonder if any clones impersonated other clones, i.e. an officer to get privileges, would be pretty easy with the same face and DNA and all. :P Did clones have serial numbers printed on them? How would you tell them apart?

This is really just to figure out how many vehicles to spawn on the map, rather than anything else.

Although I have an idea about squadrons, but I'll leave that for the PM.