Discord server for aspiring game developers!

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Discord server for aspiring game developers!

Post by Marth8880 »

Hey all!

I help run a decently-sized Discord server (>30 members) for game developers, and we're always looking to expand our member-base! In the server are professionals who work in the AAA industry, indie developers, as well as modders who are looking to break into the industry professionally. If you're any of these things, read on. If you're none of these things, read on.

Big deal. What does this mean?

The purpose of this server is to create a fun, open environment where you can:
  • Discuss game design, programming, game art, etc. with other passionate developers
  • Showcase your work and receive feedback from industry professionals and modders alike
  • Network with people in the industry and get your name out there
  • Receive/provide help with game dev-related stuff
  • Receive/provide feedback on portfolios, résumés, etc.
  • Receive/provide help with preparing for interviews
  • Discuss games (critically or casually!)
  • Have a great time hanging out with people who love doing what they do
If any of these things sound good to you, read on. If none of these things sound good to you, read on.

Hey, that's pretty good! How do I join?

If you're even remotely interested in breaking into the games industry professionally whether as AAA or indie, or you just wanna get better at your craft as a modder, go ahead and send me a PM and I'll send you an invite link to the server! :)

Hold up, slick. What's Discord?

Discord is an "all-in-one voice and text chat for gamers that’s free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone. Stop paying for TeamSpeak servers and hassling with Skype. Simplify your life."

You can either download and install the Discord app for Windows/Mac/Android/iOS (and soon Linux) by clicking HERE, or you can use the web app (which is identical in pretty much every way to the desktop app, just less convenient) by clicking HERE.

On another note, we recently just started hosting a series of lectures on a wide range of game dev-related topics. Future lectures include but are not limited to:
  • Open world level design and the state of open world games in level design
  • Dark Souls level design
  • Storytelling structure and the hero's journey
  • The production cycle and keeping motivation/setting realistic goals
  • Project management (managing scope and features)
  • Teaching your player through gameplay (ft. Dark Souls)
  • Mass Effect-esque level design (linear third person)
  • Building good atmosphere and mood in your level (+ lighting)
  • How to polish your portfolio projects (and get a job with it)
We hosted our first one the other week!

Anyway, if you have any questions about any of this, please let me know below!